Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Peoria , IL
Relief valve bypass

Robert,
I just noticed the fittings, hose, and quick disconnect fitting on your pressure relief valve. Nice! Do you pressurize the tank for drainage there, or is it just a handy way to let off water/pressure safely?
Kirk
Sweendk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 06:35 PM   #22

2006 16' Safari
2013 25' FB International
Sisters , Oregon
Water heater bypass valve 2013 International 25FB Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietguy View Post
Hopefully this will help you or someone else with similar problems..

I have a 2017 International Serenity 25FB with Queen bed.

I recently "de-winterized" my trailer. Went to the owner's manual to find the location of the water heater bypass valve. It states that it is accessible via the exterior compartment, left side. Indeed there is a valve there. I began filling the system with water and in short order after turning the water pump on, water began to flow from a pipe under said compartment! Turns out, this ISN'T the bypass valve at all! This is an additional low point drain on the water line to/from the hot water heater, NOT the bypass valve!! Well, "golly gee whiz Airstream" I said to myself, that's not a good mistake to make in the owner's manual at all!

Fortunately I've owned RV's for over 27 years so it just became a matter of tracking down where I thought the bypass valve should be. Turns out, on the 2017 25 FB Queen models it is actually on the back side of the water heater inside the built in cabinet to the right of the bed as you face the curb side of the trailer. You pry open the bottom panel (I just use my fingers) that is below the second drawer to the right of the bed at the floor level. Low and behold the bypass valve is there, bottom right hand corner of the unit. Even has two black and white line drawning "pictures" which clearly show the open and bypass positions.

So perhaps this is your problem if it still isn't working properly. You are opening and closing a mislabeled low point drain and not the actual bypass valve.

Of course this brings us to the factory lack of attention to detail, such as when I open the panel hiding the water pump and found the furnace hose disconnected from the register (it was cut too short) and the screws for the plastic register actually "drilled" into the space between the cut out and the solid wood...just the width of the screws jammed in there holding the register in. (I missed that on the predelivery inspection...oh well.)

Anyway. Hope this helps the OP or someone else!!

Good Luck!
Thank-you very much quietguy! I have a relatively new-to-me 2013 International 25FB with Queen bed and this was the first year I used antifreeze to winterize. Using the location of the water heater bypass valve incorrectly documented in the owners manual, I was just filling the water heater with antifreeze - very frustrating. After reading your post I found the actual bypass valve as you described and all was good. Interestingly, the owners manual had the correct location of the valve for the 25FB under the description for the 23FB.
bwallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 07:48 PM   #23

Currently Looking...
Ashland , OR
Good lord this may have saved Valentines Day for me, HOW many years after the original post? Many thanks.
WeatherBrokr is offline   Reply With Quote