Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2003, 04:18 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

I called Longhorn truck rental and...

- it is a receiver hitch

- towing my baby is allowed

now. do I need a....

3/4 ton or a 1 ton pickup to tow my 27' Land Yacht?

note: the trailer is empty for the most part.

thanks!

Mark
Swingking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 05:26 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Water Heater & Water Tank

Greetings Mark!

RE: Tow Vehicle Question

Either truck that you mention should work assuming that it was equipped with the intention of such use. The trailer tow ratings for most 3/4 ton trucks vary from 5,500 pounds and 12,000 pounds depending upon how they were optioned while 1 ton trucks typically range from 8,000 to 15,000 pound tow ratings depending upon how they were optioned.

For your situation, the 3/4 ton would probably provide a slightly gentler ride but the 1 ton truck may have more effective brakes. I mention this because you mentioned in your earlier post that there is some question as to whether the trailer brakes are fully functional.

There is a second issue that you will likely need to be prepared to deal with. It is quite possible that your Airstream may be wired to the unique method used by Airstream (see) that is not compatible with tow vehicles wired to today's industry-standard. My Argosy Minuet was wired to this standard and the backup lights were the only thing that functioned on it when it was first connected to my Suburban (they were wired to the 12-volt charge line terminal); all other lights operated in manners other than intended. The current standard isn't terribly different (see) , but it does require shifting several wires. It is also possible that you may need to change from a 7-pin round connector to a 7-blade connector to be compatible with a modern tow vehicle.

Good luck with your excursion.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 05:41 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Everyone....

I certianly appreciate all of the help!!

The truck that towed the trailer from austin to houston was a Dodge Ram Desiel. probably 1999 - 2000 model.

The brake lights and turn signals worked great (thank god)!!

I am HOPING that it is wierd correctly. whaddya think?

boy there is a lot to think about when going out on your first outing with "Wally".

Mark
Swingking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 06:58 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

water heater replacement

I am considering replacement of my water heater in my "75 center bath soverign. The manual says " remove in and out water lines from the rear". They are reached from the bathroom.. Anyone know just what has to be removed?. Looks like I must pull the toilet to get the plastic insert(that holds the vent switch and opening). Can I still get parts for the Bowen? I broke the flame spreader..