Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2024, 03:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Muskegon , MI
Tankless water heater HELP!!!

Hello everyone

My husband & I have a 2023 25ft Flying Cloud. We just made it to Texas from MI. We didn't turn on any water until we we're out of the cold weather last night, it was above freezing. This morning we discovered that our on demand hot water tank is spraying water out the back. From what we can see its not coming from any of the copper pipes. We had it winterized in the fall by our Airstream dealer so I'm assuming it was done correctly.

My question is, if we don't use the hot water, is it safe to leave water on for the toilet & Pipes. Its getting unexpectedly below freezing tonight and we need to leave a steady drip in the sinks.

Hopefully someone may have some insight

Thanks Heidi
Heidi Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 03:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I don't have a tankless heater, and don't know the answer to your question. But a free bumperoo might get someone to weigh in on the matter.

For now, make sure you have enough propane to and battery power to run your furnace overnight. Don't use a space heater, make sure you run the furnace. Set it to 55 or somewhere thereabouts, and that should heat your trailer, tanks, etc. and keep things from freezing up.

Read your water heater manual, maybe there's some info. in there too that would be helpful.

If it's getting super cold, like down in the teens, you still should be ok, just make sure you run that furnace, and no supplemental electric heat.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I believe the water heater has a freeze prevention valve that opens to drain the water at a certain temp. Hopefully that is where the water is coming out.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 05:12 PM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Your post does not make clear where the water is exiting the tankless heater. If it exiting the exterior body of the trailer at the cover (rather than into the trailer itself) then it is likely either the 1) drain or 2) filter plug is/are not tightly sealed.

An exterior leak location is an easier fix; open the exterior cover and observe the lower right hand corner where both plugs are located to see if that is where water is exiting. Close the caps tightly.

Alternatively, the pressure relief valve might not be seating correctly due to some debris/dirt in the valve. Rather explain further issues/resolutions, as a novice, just call a mobile RV repairman.

https://homeguidecorner.com/furrion-...oubleshooting/

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 09:40 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
We are in Texas right now and are not worried about the freezing temperatures. We have camped in sub 32 degree weather many times. No problem. Just make sure you run your furnace. We keep it about 65 inside. Yes, you will use propane but that is what the furnace is for.

If I remember correctly, the hot water heater can be isolated and you will still have cold water available to all the faucets. I am not sure where your leak is so isolating the heater may not be a viable solution for you.

Page 3-12 in the Flying Cloud owners manual address camping in cold weather conditions and some tips for what you should do.

As for the question about the hot water heat and cold weather; From the manual:
"The Flying Cloud is equipped with a continuous water
heater featuring freeze protection, and direct spark
ignition. The tankless water heater monitors inlet water
temperature and flow, and output water temperature
and flow."

"The water heater has built-in FREEZE
PROTECTION and will intermittently cycle the
burner when the water temperature reaches 3C/
38F. To provide this freeze protection, the gas
supply must be on, gas must be available and
electrical power must be on."

This feature has worked numerous times on this trip.

I hope this helps.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 11:59 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Flying Cloud
O Fallon , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi Jones View Post
Hello everyone

My husband & I have a 2023 25ft Flying Cloud. We just made it to Texas from MI. We didn't turn on any water until we we're out of the cold weather last night, it was above freezing. This morning we discovered that our on demand hot water tank is spraying water out the back. From what we can see its not coming from any of the copper pipes. We had it winterized in the fall by our Airstream dealer so I'm assuming it was done correctly.

My question is, if we don't use the hot water, is it safe to leave water on for the toilet & Pipes. Its getting unexpectedly below freezing tonight and we need to leave a steady drip in the sinks.

Hopefully someone may have some insight

Thanks Heidi
Any update to this on where your leak is happening at?
NDIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 03:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
One thought, on our 2023 25FBT Globetrotter there is a valve in the hot water heater line reachable through the side compartment mouse hole. When I winterized this year, I opened it and drained some residual water out of the hot water heater. It could be if you have the same valve it might have been left open.
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote