Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2004, 03:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Las Vegas , Nevada
Send a message via MSN to dmadam
Tankless water heater

I want a tankless heater in my unit and have looked into the Precision Temp RV 500 but it says that it fits into the space of a 10 gal unit and mine is six gal. I measured the opening and ther is not way it will fit without cutting and I don't want to get into that.

Is there any reason a small household unit like aqua star would not work. It could be mounted just aft of the bath under the twin bed. Gas and venting would be relitavely simple there.

Thanks
David
Old 10-26-2004, 07:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadam
I want a tankless heater [edit ....]
Is there any reason a small household unit like aqua star would not work. It could be mounted just aft of the bath under the twin bed. Gas and venting would be relitavely simple there.

Thanks
David
I don't know about other brands, but the smallest gas Aquastar is over 25" tall and requires 12" clearance top and bottom. I don't see that fitting under the bed.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:46 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
household type needs ac

the problem with the houshold type on demand is that they need a constant source of AC to run if they are sealed combustion and if your going to be putting it inside your bedroom then it should be or you may wake up dead. there is a company that makes an external unit might look like hell but it would fit anywhere. (rinnai) do a google search on on demand water heaters if i remember there is another company that has one that uses d batteries for the electronic ignitor. can't remember anything else bout it though.
FireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I believe the RV-500 is the only tankless heater approved and listed for RV use.
....for what its worth......
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:21 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Needing to replace the water heater (which was missing) in our Safari, I found this interesting and decided to call the company. They tell me that it has an electronic ignitor as opposed to a standing pilot. However, the quoted me a cost of $879. That's twice the cost of an Atwood or Suburban. I have to think long and hard about this one.
Keyholeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
WOW! I remember checking them about a year ago and I thought the prices, while high, weren't quite THAT high. Thats outrageous.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The flue problem is why a home oriented tankless is not so good in an RV.

The precision temp RV500 does not need any additional flue and its exhaust is cooler than the usual RV water heater. It is a very efficient modulated burner tankless heater with 12v controls. But it does need the 10g RV tank water heater size hole.

Note that the RV 500 runs at a BTU/hr rate that about maxes out the typical RV propane line capacity, too. If you try to run a propane based tankless that uses more than 50,000 BTU/hr input you might need to worry about larger gas pipes as well as a kludged flue.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 06:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

House style tankless water heaters ate not a good idea for rv's. The flue temps are too high and the heater size and clearances needed for safety will take up to much room not to mention the high cost of the units.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 01:31 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Vent Free Water heater

I recommend an Excel Vent Free instant tankless gas Water Heater, they list for about 499 , but you can buy them on ebay for about 300.

Much better than an Aquastar and it does not need a vent as it has state of the art ODS device (oxygen depletion sensor) kind of like a circuit breaker for gas appliances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadam
I want a tankless heater in my unit and have looked into the Precision Temp RV 500 but it says that it fits into the space of a 10 gal unit and mine is six gal. I measured the opening and ther is not way it will fit without cutting and I don't want to get into that.

Thanks
David
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 01:33 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Water heater

I recommend an Excel Vent Free instant tankless gas Water Heater, they list for about 499 , but you can buy them on ebay for about 300.

Much better than an Aquastar and it does not need a vent as it has state of the art ODS device (oxygen depletion sensor) kind of like a circuit breaker for gas appliances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyholeren
Needing to replace the water heater (which was missing) in our Safari, I found this interesting and decided to call the company. They tell me that it has an electronic ignitor as opposed to a standing pilot. However, the quoted me a cost of $879. That's twice the cost of an Atwood or Suburban. I have to think long and hard about this one.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:34 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Water heater

Much better than an Aquastar and it does not need a vent as it has state of the art ODS device (oxygen depletion sensor) kind of like a circuit breaker for gas appliances

Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
I don't know about other brands, but the smallest gas Aquastar is over 25" tall and requires 12" clearance top and bottom. I don't see that fitting under the bed.

Mark
Old 10-27-2004, 05:51 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Las Vegas , Nevada
Excel heater

Thanks gasman. I had not heard of the Excel units but it looks like the best one for the job.

Thanks
David
Old 10-27-2004, 06:00 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Do they "Excel" have a website? I couldn't locate one. Thanks.
Keyholeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 08:02 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Las Vegas , Nevada
http://www.excelamerica.com/

Excel website.
David
Old 10-27-2004, 08:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Ebay listing...

I found an Excel listed at the following Ebay site. It does look interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...849004154&rd=1

The Ebay site listed the home site for Excel:

http://www.excelamerica.com/

Has anyone reading the forums actually used one yet in their AS?

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 08:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'd be very reluctant to install a ventless heater in an airstream. In a house, yes; in a small confined trailer - no.

Excel makes a very fine looking vented heater (takes 65w. exhaust blower) that puts out more hot water.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:44 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

My neighbors have a Bosch tankless monster installed on their house and it does not work very well at all.
This thing is 4 feet high and it takes FOREVER to get hot H20.
When the water finally gets there it is not very hot.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike76251
My neighbors have a Bosch tankless monster installed on their house and it does not work very well at all.
This thing is 4 feet high and it takes FOREVER to get hot H20.
When the water finally gets there it is not very hot.
You might check with you neighbor about there wate source. I was having the same problem when my filters were needing changing. Something about flow rate being too low and turning on and off.

From their site
1. This appliance shall be installed by a qualified technician
2. This appliance shall not be installed inside bathrooms or bedrooms.
3. Use proper pipe for hot water instalation
4. Ventilation:This appliance consumes oxygen and the place where it is installed has to be properly ventilated

I would expect that Oxy sensor to turn off the heater after about 2 gallons in a trailer unless you had the windows open. What effect would it have on the Air Conditioning?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Japanese Technology, Italian design, made in Asia and sold in America. That's what you call international hot water.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 08:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The excel water heater is interesting. uses a flashlight battery for the igniter and burns clean enough so that it is intended for interior non vented use, except in small nonvented rooms. It almost appears that you could make an exterior ventilated cabinet where the current RV hot water heater is to install the excel in.

From what I can tell, it is an unregulated heater. This means the output temperature will be higher with low flow and lower with high flow. The RV-500, on the other hand, keeps the output at a set temperature regardless of the flow and this may be a primary reason for its cost.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote