Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2022, 01:26 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
Even better yet…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bittner View Post
We have a 2021 International with on- demand heater and set the water heater to 115degrees to optimize maximum flow of hot with cold to activate the heater. We save the cool water in a bucket which is about 1gal per shower using water saving shower head. On day 2 or 3 of bondocking when ready for our 1st shower we usual still see 100% on the fresh tank. After 2 showers it often is over 50%. The bucket of shower water is used to fill the toilet before #2 to save fresh water and grey tank space. We also use dishwater for the same purpose. Any extra shower or dish water still goes in the black tank. We can easily last 5+ days boondocking with 2 showers each and sometimes 50% left. When hooked to city water the LONG showers are amazing. However, due to learning this system, I didn't put an on demand system in my new house construction- went with a good ole' 80 gal tank and recirc pump.
My mom went through the depression. Her whole life she collected the “cold” water in a clean milk jug while waiting for the shower/sink water to turn warm. I grew up with this knowledge and have often done the same thing and used that water on my plants, heat for iced tea, or various things around the house.

So now we have a new 2022 FC and when boondocking we will save this water like mom did in a jug that was purchased with water in it, not one that held milk or the like. After the jug gets near full we’ll pour it back into our fresh water tank. Every 3 to 5 collections we’ll add a drop or two of bleach to keep the jug sanitary. Or, buy a new gallon of water for about a dollar, keeping the jug clean.

We love our new tankless water heater. We feel that the water collected is about the same amount that was collected in our last AS using a hot water tank from the water that was sitting in the lines.

Try it, it really works well!
One Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:08 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
Instead of trickling hot water into the grey to fill it up, trickle the outside shower. Fresh water is easier to replace without moving than emptying grey.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:33 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

No matter what the hot water system on your trailer or RV, it's not going to work if you are off grid camping *and* what really hot water. Don't bother with upgrades, they will not be good enough.

What to do ( just like in a tent ):

For dishwashing, you do everything but the final rinse in cold water. The hot water is boiled on the stove in a small pot.

Showers? How about a nice swim in the lake? Maybe a float down the river? Running into town today ... there's a place you can pay for a shower. It's a once a month sort of thing ... right?

Welcome to off grid camping.

Bob
I use our tanked hot water system for showers all the time while dry camping. Works perfectly!
Ronyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:09 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
2021 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
After considering many options, we decided to install the Showermiser in our 30Bunk. The unlimited hot water when available is a great feature.
Pro’s:
-Zero wasted water getting up to temp. You won’t even waste water that’s sitting in the lines.
-Avoids purchasing another water heater.
Con’s
-You need to add another valve and a funky looking blue dot.
I installed the Showermiser in the shower of our 2021 25FC. It’s a decent work around for warm/hot showers. I spent $85 on the valve and probably another $85 in tools and misc. And then learned about pex plumbing! It’s working well and we’re about to head out for 2 months on the road, so we’ll give it a real test run.

Kitchen sink is still mostly cool/cold unless we let it run. Warming water on the stove seems the least painful solution there. I’d consider the sink setup from Showermiser, but getting access to fresh water tank from that side of the rig is more than I’m up for.

BTW I skipped the install of the blue dot to tell me water is hot. It doesn’t take very long for hot water to flow and there is no waste so I just wait a bit until I throw the valve for the shower head. If you’re going to do this, make sure you have easy access to your freshwater fill line or your freshwater tank. That’s really the only tricky part. One advantage of the Showermiser is that you can use city water hook up to fill your fresh tanks simply by throwing the valve in the recirculation mode, turn on the shower cold water and allow water to flow into the fresh tank‘s.

I miss my old fixed hot water tank (22ft Bambi) and it’s simplicity and handiness for Boondocking. However given all the other options and their excessive cost, the Showermiser seemed the best compromise to fix a majority of the problem.
irush is offline   Reply With Quote