Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Shurflo Revolution, 2.3 or 3.0 GPM

I'm looking to replace my original water pump in my 2007 27FB Airstream.

This past weekend, I overheard a neighboring tent camper comment to themselves "what is that noise". Another in their party guessed correctly that it was the water pump, and added "they don't know what camping is". That's okay, because we were glamping!

Suffice to say, it's probably the single loudest facility in the AS. Especially in the middle of the night. Time for an upgrade.

The Shurflo Revolution (4008) models are noted as a HUGE improvement in quality of flow and low noise. Question is, I see there's two models. A 2.3 GPM vs a 3.0 GPM.

I almost never need "full flow" in my camper and think I'll be better off with the low flow unit, especially given the young kids don't know how to meter water sparingly.

Anyone see any drawbacks to the lower rated unit?
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
As long as everyone is conscious about not running the hot water full blast, when someone else is showering, the 2.3 should be fine IMO. We have had our eye on this very same upgrade.

Please report on the performance when you have a chance.

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:30 PM   #3
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I have the 2 gallon version. Love it!
Quiet and no water hammering without an accumulator.
The only advantage of having the 3gpm model is the ability to run dry your tank 1/3 faster!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
OK; so called Jackson and they said the Sureflow Revolution 4008-101-A65 is what is in my 2017 28' AS. They said I should not be hearing the rapid thumping I hear, nor should it loose prime and go into a 'humming" mode. I have lived with the thumping over the last 12 years with my my 3- earlier 25' AS's...and "I'm just not going to take it anymore!"

Has anyone replaced the OEM Revolution Sureflow 4008 with a different, quieter model, or what do you suggest?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Having had boats for decades, my impression is that in the marine industry, the "standard," "go to" brand for dc water pumps is Jabsco. Therefore, when I got my AS several years ago, I wondered why the usual brand of water pump provided for ASs is ShurFlow, available for the marine industry but seldom used there (I don't recall ever seeing a boat with a ShurFlow pump). Question: Why ShurFlow and why not Jabsco (although I agree they are somewhat more expensive)?
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
Having had boats for decades, my impression is that in the marine industry, the "standard," "go to" brand for dc water pumps is Jabsco. Therefore, when I got my AS several years ago, I wondered why the usual brand of water pump provided for ASs is ShurFlow, available for the marine industry but seldom used there (I don't recall ever seeing a boat with a ShurFlow pump). Question: Why ShurFlow and why not Jabsco (although I agree they are somewhat more expensive)?
Answer: AS has a corp. contract with Surflow is what I was told yesterday by JC, they are not expensive, and they seem to work in all models of AS...albiet very noisy IMOH.

Now, back to my question...anyone else have a recent pump change from the stock pump Surflow 4008 to a quieter plug and play replacement or other suggestions welcome....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 09-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
OK; so called Jackson and they said the Sureflow Revolution 4008-101-A65 is what is in my 2017 28' AS. They said I should not be hearing the rapid thumping I hear, nor should it loose prime and go into a 'humming" mode. I have lived with the thumping over the last 12 years with my my 3- earlier 25' AS's...and "I'm just not going to take it anymore!"

Has anyone replaced the OEM Revolution Sureflow 4008 with a different, quieter model, or what do you suggest?
Ha!....JC needs to tell their dealers. Ours laughed at the mention of pump noise as a warranty issue. The laugh was louder than the pumpnoise

Here are a couple of recent threads...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...es-183528.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ed-184731.html

can't find the reference but smithcreek mentioned he installed a larger (shurflo) strainer/fitting. Haven't found it on-line and SF no longer stocked them...but keeping my eyes peeled.

haven't surrendered...yet.

b
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I have had a Surflo Revolution pump for two years and is is quiet with no knocking.The cheap OEM shurflo pump that Airstream provided sounded like a jack hammer.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Ha!....JC needs to tell their dealers. Ours laughed at the mention of pump noise as a warranty issue. The laugh was louder than the pumpnoise

Here are a couple of recent threads...
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...es-183528.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ed-184731.html

can't find the reference but smithcreek mentioned he installed a larger (shurflo) strainer/fitting. Haven't found it on-line and SF no longer stocked them...but keeping my eyes peeled.

haven't surrendered...yet.

b
Thanks for the help. As for Sureflow and AS...well, I can tell you my friend just took his new 23D into the dealer (Bay Area AS) for "pump" noise; he had purchased a "new" Sureflow 4048-153-A5 as a replacment pump from Campers World (supposed to be much quieter according to CW), but the dealer said they would take care of the water pump noise, and he returned it for refund. They did take care of the noise, he said...not sure what they did but likely insulated things. Says you can here its on, but no more hammering.

I called Camper Clinic here in Austin area, and they confirmed they install the Sureflow 4008, as recommended by AS, as a replacment pump if there was a problem...noise just requires insulating the lines, they told me...go figure.
I'm going to try a few recommendations from the links...if that does not work, I will replace the pump and see what happens then.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Like CruizinDux said, I installed the Shurflo Extreme Strainer in my FC 20 and the jackhammer noise is gone. This is with a Shurflo Extreme variable speed pump, so not sure if it will help with other pumps.

If I completely empty my freshwater tank, the only other thing I need to do the next time I fill it is open the low point drain valves in the rear storage compartment to totally bleed the pipes of air.

You can see the size difference compared to the standard strainer.

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-254-2.../dp/B000N9VFJI
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Thanks for the help. As for Sureflow and AS...well, I can tell you my friend just took his new 23D into the dealer (Bay Area AS) for "pump" noise; he had purchased a "new" Sureflow 4048-153-A5 as a replacment pump from Campers World (supposed to be much quieter according to CW), but the dealer said they would take care of the water pump noise, and he returned it for refund. They did take care of the noise, he said...not sure what they did but likely insulated things. Says you can here its on, but no more hammering.

I called Camper Clinic here in Austin area, and they confirmed they install the Sureflow 4008, as recommended by AS, as a replacment pump if there was a problem...noise just requires insulating the lines, they told me...go figure.
I'm going to try a few recommendations from the links...if that does not work, I will replace the pump and see what happens then.
OK; called Sureflow Pentair customer service; they recommended I switch from the Revolution 3.0 to the 2.3 GPM. Said I will not have the noise and it offers sufficient pressure/water flow. Any comments on the 2.3gpm?
Old 09-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Like CruizinDux said, I installed the Shurflo Extreme Strainer in my FC 20 and the jackhammer noise is gone. This is with a Shurflo Extreme variable speed pump, so not sure if it will help with other pumps.

If I completely empty my freshwater tank, the only other thing I need to do the next time I fill it is open the low point drain valves in the rear storage compartment to totally bleed the pipes of air.

You can see the size difference compared to the standard strainer.

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-254-2.../dp/B000N9VFJI
Not sure the value of this unit in the system unless you have some filtration issues filling the tank? Just a filter, right? I do see the value of the pressurize accumulator., so if I can't fix, I may just get one of those items after insulating the lines and before replacing pump.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:27 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Not sure the value of this unit in the system unless you have some filtration issues filling the tank? Just a filter, right? I do see the value of the pressurize accumulator., so if I can't fix, I may just get one of those items after insulating the lines and before replacing pump.
You are assuming the noise is on the ouitput side of the pump. You might be right in your case, but in mine all of the noise came from the input side, between the fresh water tank and the pump. That's the side of the pump where cavitation is likely to occur if the flow is restricted too much.

Yes it's a filter, but the standard size one also happens to restrict the flow of water going to the pump considerably, which is exactly what causes cavitation and banging pipes. The "value" in my trailer is it does not restrict the flow as much, stops the cavitation and therefore the noise. Definitely worth the $30. YMMV.

Whether or not it helps in other trailers I can't say, but most AS plumbing systems have a bunch of 90 degree elbows before the water ever gets to the pump. Add all those up and the flow is restricted, so any way to lessen that may help.

Quick internet search gives a good explanation of the type of cavitation I had, notice the bold part in the explanation about elbows and strainers:

Pump cavitation due to turbulence
Turbulent flow leads to formation of vortexes in pump suction. Inadequate piping, sharp elbows, restrictions, filters and strainers in suction line contribute to turbulence. The waterfall effect in suction vessels is another contributing factor to pump turbulence.

To prevent pump cavitation due to excess turbulence in suction line
  1. Design the pump suction piping and routig to avoid excess turbulence
  2. Take precaution while fixing the pump suction line size to avoid turbulence and have sufficient NPSHa
  3. Respect the maximum allowable flow limit of the pumps.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Yes it's a filter, but the standard size one also happens to restrict the flow of water going to the pump considerably, which is exactly what causes cavitation and banging pipes. The "value" in my trailer is it does not restrict the flow as much, stops the cavitation and therefore the noise. Definitely worth the $30. YMMV.
Interesting. what do you mean by "standard size one"..anyone else have this device in their newer AS water line?
Old 09-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Interesting. what do you mean by "standard size one"..anyone else have this device in their newer AS water line?
Look at the picture I posted above, the larger "Shurflo Extreme" strainer is the one on the left and the standard size Shurflo strainer is on the right.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Look at the picture I posted above, the larger "Shurflo Extreme" strainer is the one on the left and the standard size Shurflo strainer is on the right.
Thanks. I went out and found the Shurflo under the microwave as it was described. I removed the back panel, lifted the air ducting and turned on the pump with a faucet running...surprisingly, it did not seem as loud for some reason. I noticed the pump is isolated with rubber mount. After spending some time with different faucets on including toilet flushing, the noise was not as irritating as when we are camping for some reason..wondering if when the panel is back on, the closed in area it amplifies. There is not a lot of room to get in there and remove the pump, install an accumulator or filter. Did you take the pump out, install the filter, and then re-install?
Old 02-12-2019, 08:18 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
some truth to the inline elbows causing turbulance noise.

Was selling my a/s m/h. liked the really quiet pump in the m/h. so exchanged the pump for the noisy pump in the a/s trailer. To my surprize the pump was now extremely noisy. Tried to eliminate with insulation on pipes, etc to no avail. But water tank (under the bed) in the m/h was right close to the pump (only 2 elbows). So how did the same pump get so noisy in the trailer? too many elbows.
woodytwo is offline   Reply With Quote