Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Shureflo -> No Flow, and other fixing adventures

I'm on a month long road trip from Michigan to Alberta, Canada with my wife, two kids (2 year old and an 8 month old) and dog and it's been quite an adventure so far (good and bad). Latest part of this adventure is what seems to be a broken water pump. Wondering if anyone can help me confirm it's actually ka-put, or if there's some on-the-road fix anyone can recommend...

I have the SHURflo 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XM5G70..._k0NExbVF7KVW9

Problem: it's not actually pumping and water from the tanks. Usually when it's working it's quite audible (though not loud), but now when it's "on" (there's a demand for water somewhere in the system, like a sink faucet on) it just makes a quite puttering hummmmmmmmm.

I have clear tubes leading in and out of the pump, and there are bubbles that I can see on both sides. These bubbles don't move at all when the pump is making this low, quite puttering sound, which means there is no flow at all in or out of the pump.

Confirmed power to the pump and all shutoffs to and from the pump and not shut off.

Is there a "tap it with a hammer" fix for this?
trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:56 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Thanks for asking the question. I have a similar problem.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Take a look at the upstream filter screen. It may be clogged blocking the flow from the water tank. Its a clear plastic part, maybe two or three inches in size attached to the flex pipe near the pump. Twist the cap off to get to the screen for removal.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Take a look at the upstream filter screen. It may be clogged blocking the flow from the water tank. Its a clear plastic part, maybe two or three inches in size attached to the flex pipe near the pump. Twist the cap off to get to the screen for removal.

Checked, and the screen is completely clear; no debris or residue or any kind
Old 07-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
1976 Argosy 28
1978 28' Argosy 28
Lodi , California
Years ago, mine was doing a similar thing. We took the hose off between sink and pump. It had become back pressured somehow. Put the hose back on and it started working fine. Hope yours is that simple!
triterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ventura County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekerboy View Post
I'm on a month long road trip from Michigan to Alberta, Canada with my wife, two kids (2 year old and an 8 month old) and dog and it's been quite an adventure so far (good and bad). Latest part of this adventure is what seems to be a broken water pump. Wondering if anyone can help me confirm it's actually ka-put, or if there's some on-the-road fix anyone can recommend...

I have the SHURflo 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XM5G70..._k0NExbVF7KVW9

Problem: it's not actually pumping and water from the tanks. Usually when it's working it's quite audible (though not loud), but now when it's "on" (there's a demand for water somewhere in the system, like a sink faucet on) it just makes a quite puttering hummmmmmmmm.

I have clear tubes leading in and out of the pump, and there are bubbles that I can see on both sides. These bubbles don't move at all when the pump is making this low, quite puttering sound, which means there is no flow at all in or out of the pump.

Confirmed power to the pump and all shutoffs to and from the pump and not shut off.

Hi in our trailer have same pump . Trailer is 2013 . I am on number 3 now . Next one I get I am going to change to a Remco . I don't know if you have the little filter too .if so check that out because I found the metal screen cut into the top and was letting air in . The pump s would just run but not pump water . I do not have much faith in these Shurflo pumps . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Are you sure you have water in the tank, and that it is not leaking? Open all faucets before you turn the pump on, and see if that helps (although in theory just one should do). If filter is clean, and no visible air/water leaks between tank and pump, it may sorry to say be bad.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Several things that apply to all RV pumps.
1. If you do not hear the pump running and a faucet is open, check the there is power to the pump. Check fuse and/or circuit breaker.
2. Check that all winterizing steps have been undone for de-winterizing. Close all drains and open the water heater bypass.
3. Make sure the suction side its airtight. Look at all fittings and suction hoses, i.e., no shark bite fittings (they won't work on the suction side of the pump, only on the pressure side).
4. Install a new filter. You should do that every season. The slightest crack will suck air, not water.
5. Use test section of hose with a pump fitting and a jug of water to see if it will then flow OK.
6. Open one faucet at a time and check for normal flow.
7. Replace the pump. They are not worth over hauling.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:40 PM   #9
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
Mine did the same thing. Pump motor ran and ran, but no water. New pump fixed it. Have old pump on my workbench in that area called Someday.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
. . .
5. Use test section of hose with a pump fitting and a jug of water to see if it will then flow OK.
. . .
This suggestion would be worth trying if you have the necessary pieces and access to the pump.

Good luck!

Peter
Old 07-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Shureflo -> No Flow, and other fixing adventures

Step 1: Disconnect the hose on the discharge side of the pump. Turn the pump on to see if you get water. If so connect the discharge hose and see if you get water.
Step 2: disconnect the hose on the inlet side of the pump. Remove the FW tank fill cap. Blow air into the hose and listen for bubbles. I will assume the tank is below the floor.
Step 3:
Try sucking on the inlet hose to see if you get water. Like drinking a soda with a straw.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:27 AM   #12
Classy Roscoe

Thumbs up

Greetings,

There are a few things you may do to solve the pump issue. We use several Of these type of pumps with our sprayers and have obtained reliable service. Given your situation traveling with family, a fix is required now.

These pumps use two check valves that contain a rubber flap and a spring. The motor is connected to a small assemble that works these two rubber flaps.

As the motor runs, one rubbed flap opens and water is drawn in to the pump body and as the motor rotates, water is moved to the location of the second rubber flap where it is expelled into your water system.

These flaps are arranged such that water can only be drawn in on the inlet side then shut and the flap on the outlet side is forced open and expell the water.

For proper operation these flaps must do their job or no flow pressure results and no water flows.

If any part of this operation fails its job, the pump does not work.

We have experienced failure when something gets trapped in the pump body and the inlet side rubber flap does not close, thus water just vasulates and no compression or flow to the outlet can happen. Same can be said of the outlet rubber flap.

From your post, if appears that you have power, and water is present. Just no compression in the pump body. (Black part with 2 hoses connected)

From the sound of it, the pump motor is just spinning and not moving the internals of the pump. If you have a mirror to be able to see if the motor shaft is connected to the pump body have your wife turn the pump switch on and off while you observe the connection tween motor and pump. There is a little "tie rod" that connects the two and if it has come loose the water pump will make noise "huuuuuummmmm" and nothing happens.

Otherwise, the issue is with the two little rubber flaps either broken loose or a hole in one of them. That spring I talked about at the top of this post (one for each flap also may have failed).

If your handy with a screwdriver, remove the front black cover (8 screws around the edge of the pump body and examine the rubber gasket behind the cover for damage or debris. Be mindful that there are two springs that are waiting to escape and disappear into the bowels of the trailer. How they are placed is very important. Also, there is a small fixture on this pump body that has two wires connected to it. Do not unscrew the three small screws that attach it. This is the pressure switch and it is very important to the proper operation of the pump.

Because those bubbles you described are not moving around, I suspect the connecting rod (tie rod) has slipped off the motor shaft and the pump is not turning.

Last word, Amazon can have a new pump in your hands for less than $80.00 US in 48 hours and that along with two hose clamps, you can undo two wires and reattach the hoses and the wires and be on your way.

We will say a little prayer that you and your family will be on your way and have memories about your travels to share when the kids turn into teenagers!!!

👍
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:32 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
How are you doing? Hopefully all fixed and on the road again!

Happy Trails,

Peter
Old 07-05-2016, 05:00 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Rhinebeck , New York
Same story, second pump. Last season the pump would quite humming/working (eventually) after a few seconds of water demand. So far this year I just turn the pump off after the need has been satisfied. A pain? Not really as we don't spend much time inside anyway. Midnight potty requirements

Basically, answers have been presented; you need to be sure all the "air" in the water system has been expelled. We who "just want things to work" remain challenged by such issues. Try to find an Airstream buddy who is technically literate. I'm still looking.
Adam Geuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:08 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Went to the trailer yesterday, and found to trouble with little water flow. The filter was packed up. Removed it, and cleaned it. Great flow now.

What was a little more difficult was changing the cartridge in the Moen shower valve. The retainer clip would not come out, or the cartridge itself. In the heat of the trailer in a confined space ie. the shower and head I nearly had a heat stroke. I was completely soaked with sweat. Finally getting the whole valve assembly I headed for the wholesale plumbing supply we do some business with just up the road. They destroyed the clip getting it out, and 3 brutes pulling on it could not get it out. Finally we got a pulling tool. It worked with much coaxing. Part of the cartridge was broken off.

The problem was hardwater and probably well water with mineral deposits. That valve cartridge was really stuck.

Well. there was good news and bad news. They had the replacement cartridge but no retaining clip. So off to Lowes to see if I could find one there. Finally I found a bubble pack repair kit that had one. Of course I had to buy the whole kit. Then back to the trailerto reinstall the shower valve.

The water flowed, and cut off. No dripping. It doesn't take much to make me happy.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
How are you doing? Hopefully all fixed and on the road again!

Happy Trails,

Peter
Thank you everyone for the advice! I tried all the above recommendations, plus a few others, and unfortunately the pump seems to be completely kaput. It hasn't really been an issue so far because we've been staying at campgrounds with full-hookups, but whenever we stop along the side of the road for a pit stop it's been a minor annoyance.

A replacement pump is in order when we get back to home base.

Thanks everyone for the advice! It's great to have such strong community support.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update.

Happy Trails!

Peter
Old 08-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Turns out my pump was NOT defective after all. I had my more mechanically inclined brother come over to install the new pump I ordered and he determined that the old one was just fine, there was just a big air bubble in the line, presumably from when I emptied the tank. Cleared the air bubble and viola! It worked! For anyone else having a similar issue, check for air bubbles, especially if you recently ran your water tank dry.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #19
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Turns out my pump was NOT defective after all. I had my more mechanically inclined brother come over to install the new pump I ordered and he determined that the old one was just fine, there was just a big air bubble in the line, presumably from when I emptied the tank. Cleared the air bubble and viola! It worked! For anyone else having a similar issue, check for air bubbles, especially if you recently ran your water tank dry.
Glad it wasn't something more serious. But I am curious how you cleared the "big air bubble"?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Glad it wasn't something more serious.

I'm afraid it was something more serious: turns out I'm not as smart as I thought I was (something my wife has suspected for years). Haha

I cleared the air bubble by filling the tank all the way up, shutting off the shore water connection, then letting the pump cycle a couple times. I suppose alternatively I could have poured some water down the intake pipe leading to the pump from the tank...