Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2019, 11:07 AM   #1
TravelswithCharley

2017 22' Sport
Phoenix , Arizona
Question Replacing a Sureflow Revolution 4008 3gpm pump. Do I need to?

Hi everyone.
I have a 2017 Sport 22' with a Sureflow pump. The past couple of weeks I have noticed that when the Airstream is connected to city water, the front water tank is filling up (about 20% every day). I have to keep pumping it out. I have folks staying in the Airstream, so need to be connected to the city hookup.

I am thinking it is a sticky valve inside the pump, but don't know how to fix it (I'm a girl....but absolutely willing to learn). Hey, I physically participated in every aspect of building my first home in New Zealand :-)

Questions: Can I repair this myself? What are the steps?
I have purchased a replacement pump (Sureflow Revolution 4008 3gpm) for if I can't fix it, but would love some guidance on how I swap the pump out or what to do.
Does anyone know of a good RV repair guy (or girl) in the Phoenix area who does house calls...

BTW: Charley can't fix it....he's a dog :-)

thanks everyone
Mary
Marygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Mary,

Quick possible fix is to disconnect shore water supply, turn on the pump switch, and run water from a faucet until the pump turns on. Let the water run for a few seconds, then turn it off until the pump stops again. Then do this a couple more times.

Sometimes a bit of grit or other 'stuff' gets into the pump and starts a slow leak in it's internal check valve--this is why city water is slowly flowing backwards through the pump and filling your fresh water tank.

Try this flushing trick first, then, if this procedure doesn't solve it, locate the pump (usually the hardest part) and replace it.

Be sure to turn off city water, drain and/or blow out the trailer internal lines like you are winterizing, then the pump should be easily replaceable. Usually the fittings screw on by hand, and the electricals are just trace and connect--I'd take a picture or three for reference when you put it back together. Once you get the new pump in place, get a rebuild kit for the old one, and rebuild it for a spare.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Land Yacht
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
replacing shut-flo

Hi Mary,

I just replaced a model 4008 shurflo in our 2015 Airstream last week (in Phoenix too!) - it's a cinch. That said, I see the prior post made some suggestions for troubleshooting so it would probably make sense to try that first.

Once you've located the pump for troubleshooting or replacement, here's what I found:

1. Buy a new water pump. They are really common and I found them at Camping World, the Airstream or any other RV dealer, or online at Amazon (that's where I got mine).

2. The pump connects to the plumbing with threaded fittings to flexible tubes on the input and output. Mine were just finger tight, so only have to twist them off. Strongly suggest you make sure the city water and water pump are turned OFF first :-). Also, keeping a small towel to mop up what little water will spill out makes it easy.

3. Unscrew the four screw that go through the rubber feet that hold the pump tot he airstream.

4. The electrical connection is simply a power and ground, though mine were crimped together, so I had to cut the wires and then stripped and used wire-nuts to reattach. Slightly neater would use blade (fast-on) connectors, but I didn't have a crimper or the connectors handy.

4. Screw down the new one.

This process took me all of about 20 minutes. if you have the wire nuts or fast-on crimpable connectors before you start the job it should take, literally, about 8 minutes - the most time consuming is just unscrewing and rescrewing the 4 screws for the rubber feet.

That said, if you don't want to do this yourself, I'll be back in Phoenix in about 2 weeks and happy to help, or you can try to get someone to do it for you. I'm transient in Phoenix but needed some refrigerator repair work and referred to Vision Mobil RV at 480-490-2550. I left a message and the individual called me back promptly and was VERY professional and helpful. I have not yet used his services, but he was recommended to me and I'd recommend him based on his phone professionalism (amazing how many places can't even seem to do that well).

Matt
HappyHapgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
TravelswithCharley

2017 22' Sport
Phoenix , Arizona
excellent thoughtful and instructive replies. thanks everyone.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
If you are replacing with the exact same pump, then simple, as stated in prior replies.

However, if you replace with a different model, you might find that the mounting and or the water inlet/outlet positions is different, complicating the replacement.

Also, when removing the water connections from the pump, be very diligent in watching for gaskets inside the connections, as they can fall out. If your pump is mounted in such a way they can fall into an area below you can't get to, put some cardboard under the pump as a precaution. While I encountered this problem when replacing my pump, I've been told that not all pump connections have gaskets.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
That pump may not have a backflow valve...check the literature. I had one in my other airstream and it was a great pump but I had the same problem. I then installed a backflow preventer and problem solved. When you check the literature packed with the pump, myne said backflow preventer NS. Not sure if that meant not supplied or not shown. Called sureflow for answer...they did not know !
harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:56 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Are you out of warranty?
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #8
TravelswithCharley

2017 22' Sport
Phoenix , Arizona
Yes, Ronman, the warranty ran out several months ago.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #9
TravelswithCharley

2017 22' Sport
Phoenix , Arizona
harryK. I'm not finding any mention of a back flow valve, but from an earlier thread I read, I think the NS means Not Supplied. Now that I've read the instructions sent with the pump, I'm all but certain that I just need to sanitize the water system with bleach. The mineral content of the water here in Phoenix is lousy. Time for a flush out, then I'll see how it runs.
thanks!
Old 01-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
My only addition/admonition is to avoid using wire nuts. In the marine industry, wire nuts are not used because they can vibrate loose and create a live wire danger. I suspect the same is true for travel trailers. I would use crimp connectors.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I had the same issue with a one year old Shurflo. I purchased the check valve replacement kit. I had to remove the pump but replacing the check valve solved the issue. Costs about $20.