Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2002, 09:04 PM   #1
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Question Repair or Replace Original Bowen Water Heater?

I nearly have my 1961 Bambi stripped on the inside. Prior to putting her back together, I need to decide on what to do with the original Bowen water heater. I would love to keep/restore it if possible.

On initial inspection by an Airstrem dealer in Boise (American Way) I was told the Bowen heater ignited fine. It was empty, so I have no idea what the water pressure is like. I do not think the unit was ever used for "fulltiming", so how would I find out what level of mineral deposits are inside? CanI just replace the tank?

Are there major advantages to upgrading to a new water heater as far as output/heat?

Thanks in advance!
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:39 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
It looks like you never got a reply to this post! I'm very interested in hearing your experience with this, considering you've probably done something with your water heater in since you originally posted this three years ago.
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:11 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Andy is out of the office for a week or two. If you can remember, you can bump this thread again in a couple of weeks so he cansee it, and answer.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Bowen water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankornuta
It looks like you never got a reply to this post! I'm very interested in hearing your experience with this, considering you've probably done something with your water heater in since you originally posted this three years ago.
You might want to look at this thread.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ter-18503.html

I am rebuilding a 1963 Bambi and the Bowen water heater came with my trailer. I am working on the restoration of the water heater. This thread has some pictures and information. I would be happy to discuss this with you.
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:30 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Great thread (and I like the UFO pictures) ! Thanks for the link. Once I get to the water heater I'm definitely going to have some questions for you I've started with the refrigerator, then the stove is slated for restoration, then the water system...
Old 11-16-2005, 06:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Restoring apliances

Is you frig a Dometic? That is what mine is. I have not got to those things yet. I'd be interested in what you find and how it goes. Here is a useful web page, in case you haven't forund it yet.
http://airstream.net/members/documen...nce%20manuals/
They have manuals on many of the original airstream products.
Don
Old 11-16-2005, 09:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Service manual index

Thank you for that find - awesome. Has anyone printed these?? The resolution is so light (when I print) I can only read them on the computer. I'd like a hard copy - any suggestions?
Thanks!
30 day countdown to 68' tradewind ownership!!!!
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
Is you frig a Dometic? That is what mine is. I have not got to those things yet. I'd be interested in what you find and how it goes. Here is a useful web page, in case you haven't forund it yet.
http://airstream.net/members/documen...nce%20manuals/
They have manuals on many of the original airstream products.
Don
My fridge is a Marvel, though slightly different than the one pictured in the manuals link (GREAT Link, btw, I hadn't seen that before). My freezer bin runs the entire width of the top, horizontally. It's not the vertical style like the one pictured in the manual. I have a thread going on the restoration of the refrigerator, with pictures, here: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ser-18982.html

The "soda stripper" (like sandblasting but with baking-soda type substance instead, so as to not damage the relatively thin metal) is coming to pick up the enameled pieces on Friday. I'm having them all stripped down to bare metal and then they're being re-enamled and I'll rebuild the box. I'm having the handles, hinges and Marvel badge re-chromed.

sequoiacoast: Congratulations on your soon-to-be tradewind ownership!
Old 11-16-2005, 03:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoiacoast
Thank you for that find - awesome. Has anyone printed these?? The resolution is so light (when I print) I can only read them on the computer. I'd like a hard copy - any suggestions?
Thanks!
30 day countdown to 68' tradewind ownership!!!!
When I printer them they came out great. I saved them to my computer first.
Don