Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 07:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

norwalk , Connecticut
Repair and restoration in CT?

Hello.

We're looking for someone in CT who can work on a 1968 Safari. It needs some work on the frame as well as the hot water heater.

Any ideas??

Any leads would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Kathy
katcon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! FYI there are a few threads which mention George Hernandez of Classic RV Repair in Fishkill NY. He used to manage the service dept. at the CT AS dealer which closed.

The search function above in the blue box works great, so here are some results FYI:

https://www.google.com/search?q=clas...=airforums.com

Sorry -- I have to leave for jury duty, but can reply later today. My earlier posts on-topic will pop up in the threads linked in the search results.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by katcon10 View Post
. . .
We're looking for someone in CT who can work on a 1968 Safari.
. . .
The Classic RV shop is about an hour away from you, just south of I-84 near Poughkeepsie NY. George's website is not online right now. His phone number is (845) 319-6007. Please advise of what you hear from him.

The FDR Museum is a little north, and makes a great side trip after you leave the AS with George. We recommend the tour of Top Cottage!

https://www.nps.gov/hofr/planyourvisit/top-cottage.htm

If you have any questions, please advise.

Peter

PS -- FYI I just asked about this in an older thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ct-156048.html
Old 06-07-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

norwalk , Connecticut
Hi Peter.
We've had George work on it in the past for a couple other things. He did a great job, unfortunately he's so busy he can't fit us in for quite some time so thought I'd see if there was anyone else in the area.
Thanks for your help!
Kathy
Old 06-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Gotcha Kathy. Check the search results in Post #2 because some of those threads include mentions of other AS shops in the NE.

Peter
Old 07-31-2018, 07:05 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Fairfield , Connecticut
Can you be more specific about the work involved? I am in Fairfield and currently restoring a 65 Globetrotter.
JLGT5107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

norwalk , Connecticut
Hi - we’re not sure how extensive the project is. The back bumper started sagging on the right side - a bolt pulled through the floor/frame on that end. The entire bathroom area started to sag and was pulling the closet from the wall. We found a crack in the frame behind the right wheel too. We had a local welder shore up the crack and he put a bar across the underside to hold the bumper and bathroom up. Definitely a temporary fix. I think someone would really need to get under the sub floor to see what the extent of work needed is. We use this for a catering business so we did the temporary fixes to get us through the season - then we’d like to get it fixed the right way. We’re in Fairfield too. Where are you in Fairfield? Maybe you could come take a look? We’d love to come check yours out too.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Fairfield , Connecticut
Repair in CT

Katcon, I sent you a private message with my contact info.
JLGT5107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by katcon10 View Post
Hi Peter.
We've had George work on it in the past for a couple other things. He did a great job, unfortunately he's so busy he can't fit us in for quite some time so thought I'd see if there was anyone else in the area.
Thanks for your help!
Kathy
Curious if you found a good AS shop, other than George's Classic RV?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 07-26-2019, 05:01 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

norwalk , Connecticut
Hi Peter,

We never did find anyone. We ended up taking ours to the Airstream factory in Jackson Center, Ohio to have some frame work done a few months ago. We’d still love to find someone around CT. Have you heard of anyone other than George who is working on them?

Thanks!
Kathy
Old 07-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the note. We have never looked for anyone else, as George has been great. It would be good to know of other AS shops in New England, however, for emergency repairs in other locations.

By the way, I talked with George recently and he is going on vacation for the last couple of weeks in August, for everyone's information. We will catch up with him after Labor Day.

Enjoy the rest of the summer!

Peter