Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Pump upgrades?

On our Colorado vacation, we had our pump go out. The only RV dealer in town happened to have a replacement Shurflow. But looking around it got me to wondering if any of the other brands were really any better. Anybody have thoughts on this? Apparently regardless of RV brand, this is one of the more common issues, and in fact the dealer mentioned the sold 10 last week alone! If the Shurflow units fail this often, there must be units that would be considered an upgrade.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Get a shurflow revolution, strainer and accumulator tank. This should last a long time if you don't run it dry (turn off the pump switch when unattended or not being used). Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
In our experience Shurflow failure is rather rare. We **live** off our internal tank and pump, camping 6 mos. of the year. Our 2011 is still running fine, knock on wood, and our 1999 never failed either. Something's Up??
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I agree, Shurflow is a good pump and has an excellent price point. they don't fail often and if they do, it is more likely for cause like air, trash, excessive cycling, etc.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:52 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The original Shurflow pump on 'Cloudsplitter' was the first item to fail,(on our first outing, bad internal wiring).
AS sent us a new one, no dealer in NY back then.
After 16 years it got very noisy on our cross-country last Season, replaced mid-trip.
The new Shurflow is much quieter and flows more, hope it lasts as long.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-26-2020, 04:36 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
it was the internal valve that failed, so my fresh water tank filled from the city water hookup. Apparently this is one of the leading causes of failures on these pumps according to both our Airstream dealer who I called from the road, and the local RV dealership who sold me a replacement pump (apparently there’s a rebuild kit for these, but they didn’t have any). We rarely use the pump and in fact we didn’t even have any water in the freshwater tank on this trip when I noticed that it was overflowing.

There are several other pump brands out there, I was just curious if any of them were any better, seems nearly all RVs are using the Shurflows, but I was shocked when the parts guy said he had sold 10 that week alone. I apparently got the last one until their delivery truck came in later that day. (At least I was having some luck).

The fact that it’s only 3 years old and rarely used surprised me. But that’s usually when thing fail, they rarely get used.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:53 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrisett View Post
it was the internal valve that failed, so my fresh water tank filled from the city water hookup. Apparently this is one of the leading causes of failures on these pumps according to both our Airstream dealer who I called from the road, and the local RV dealership who sold me a replacement pump (apparently there’s a rebuild kit for these, but they didn’t have any). We rarely use the pump and in fact we didn’t even have any water in the freshwater tank on this trip when I noticed that it was overflowing.

There are several other pump brands out there, I was just curious if any of them were any better, seems nearly all RVs are using the Shurflows, but I was shocked when the parts guy said he had sold 10 that week alone. I apparently got the last one until their delivery truck came in later that day. (At least I was having some luck).

The fact that it’s only 3 years old and rarely used surprised me. But that’s usually when thing fail, they rarely get used.

My trailer’s fresh water tank filled in the same manner as you described. Nothing inside the pump or associated with the pump had failed. There was a small piece of trash trapped by the diaphragm that allowed this to happen. Cleaning it out fixed the problem.

Always and always use a water filter. No matter what you’re hooked up to or what you’re filling. Always use a water filter.
2008AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
totally agree. The pump was likely fine, just a bit of trash in the valve. Ah well live and learn.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote