RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #21

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Surprise , Arizona
Accumulator

I also added an accumulator tank. It cost $30 on Amazon, and was not hard to install. The benefit are a quieter pump taking some of the hammer out. It also has the pump cycling less often. We can flush the toilet without the pump coming on.
Exseedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic
Keswick , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
For the noise, find where the line is up against the wall or shower enclosure. Then, depending on how official and elaborate you want to get, return to the dealer for them to either reposition the pump so the line doesn't rest against the wall/enclosure, or you can reposition it or the line yourself. Even a piece of foam, say from a pool noodle, between the line and wall will greatly quiet the noise and reduce the vibration.
Pool noodle is a great idea. I have had the same problem, finally reducing the noise 50% by cushioning a rattling pipe under the galley sink. I am following this thread because it still makes too much noise. Seems like there ought to be a quieter pump. Thanks for the conversation.
Charlottesville, Virginia
gregwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sometimes the water heater looses the bubble of air in the top that provides some surge space. A surge tank is a good substitute for it, as the bubble is more permanent. The air bubble helps prevent hammering in the pipes from pump pressure surges.

To restore the bubble, depressurize the water system by shutting off the city water supply or the pump. Let the pressure out by opening a faucet somewhere. Make darn sure the electric and propane is turned off so the water heater won't be damaged when you let the water out of it.

Open up the outside door of the water heater, and look for the drain plug at the bottom left of the tank. It will be darn near impossible to get a socket wrench on it, but thread one in there somehow, and unscrew the plug. Might take some combination of extensions and flex joints to get to it. Be careful not to round the corners of the plug. Let the water gurgle out until it runs all over the place, gets your shoes and socks wet, makes a nice mud puddle beside the AS, and stops coming out. Put some Teflon tape on the plug and carefully re-install it without cross-threading it or over-tightening it.

Hook up city water, or turn on the pump, then use a hot water faucet to let the air out of the tank. DO NOT pull the pressure relief valve lever. That will let too much air out. When the hot water faucet stops blowing air, drain any stray air from the cold side of the system on another faucet. This should re-establish the bubble in the water heater and provide some surge space in your system. Check the plug for leaks once you have full pressure on the system. See if that helps.

I installed a tankless water heater in my rig, and I get severe pump noise now. Since a tankless has no air bubble, I will be installing an Atwood surge tank somewhere in the water system to provide the necessary cushion. Of course, my water pump and associated piping runs are in an impossibly tight location just to make this process "interesting" for me.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Paradise Valley , Arizona
It's difficult to add air through the blowoff if you don't have the HW heater vented. If when you pull the lever on the blowoff only water comes out there probably is no air cushion. Shut pump and external water off and turn the faucet in the lav to HW open. Then go out and pull the blowoff lever. You should see/hear air being vented into the tank through the blowoff. Hold it for 15 seconds or so and then go inside and shut your lav off. You will now have an air cushion. If that was the problem with the pump you should hear some difference.
xisme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:07 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
, Virginia
Accumulator is the way to go

Weíve had our Globtrotter for just about a year now. Itís our 4th Airstream =) We love it but did have massive cosmetic issues that can be the subject of a different thread. Also have done a number of improvements based on our experience. One was installing an Shurflo accumulator like others suggest. This was THE BEST THING EVER for pump noise, bar none. Everyone of our airstreams suffered pump noise and we just lived with it. However, the Globetrotter brought this noise to a new high, just as described. The Jackson Center boys took a crack at it and that helped a little. But the accumulator? That made all the difference. Highly recommend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	688D2269-E4B1-48F3-86E9-56B93404BBB0.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	333071   Click image for larger version

Name:	958B5ACA-C8E3-4400-BE88-333AE7680150.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	333072  

Anubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Okemos , Michigan
We bought our 25FB new in 2014. We have done all the usual stuff including dealer visits. It seems to be moody - sometimes awful, sometimes only bad. I am lucky that for some reason, this noise is not maddening for me. Some noises do drive me nuts, so I understand.

I think fixing it it an elusive pursuit.
Wanna EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
pump rattle noise in wall

On my 27 FB I removed the access hatch to shower valve located in the closet and bought foam pipe insulation placed it on the tubing so as to isolate the water pipes from the closet wall. Now when I get any rattling it is usually an air lock at the pump and everything starts to rattle ....