Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Pump noise and (unrelated I think) leak when filling fw tank

So, I have two issues with our 2018 30' Classic that I believe are unrelated but which I thought I'd present to the forum for analysis.

First, the pump noise. (Hopefully you'll enjoy my attempt to reproduce the noise in writing!) Anyway, when I run the lavatory faucet the pump makes what seems to me to be normal sounds; running for a second or two with a b-r-r-r-r-p then pausing, running again and pausing, etc. If I then run add in the galley faucet at the same time, the pump runs continuously with a constant b-r-r-r-r-p; again seeming normal to me.

But if I run the galley faucet alone, instead of the intermittent b-r-r-r-r-p sound I get with the lavatory faucet running, I get a constant "budda-budda-budda-budda" noise and there is more vibration than usual. Is the pump cavitating, and why only with the galley faucet running by itself?

Issue two. When filling the fresh water tank, and only when filling the tank, I see water dripping from just ahead of the driver side front wheel. (see photo, the drips can be seen as streaks down the center of the tire tread) I'm 99.99% certain that the water is coming from underneath the trailer at the point where the belly pan meets the wheel arch and not flowing around the arch or over the surface of the trailer. This happens even with very moderate flow from the hose, the tank isn't anywhere near full, and there is no water coming from the overflow vent. The leakage begins shortly after turning on the water. I'm wondering if there is a bad connection between the fill hose and the tank, or maybe a small break in the hose itself. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leak small.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	321427  

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Sell it. It's haunted.

I have read of pump noises and had some of my own, but not different sounds at separate faucets. Have you bled air out of the water heater? Don't know if you have an outside shower, but bleed it too if you have one. Also, check the galley faucet aerator in case it is clogged up and needs cleaning.

Since I don't have a trailer, I'll leave guesses on your water fill to others. Good luck.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Sell it. It's haunted.

I have read of pump noises and had some of my own, but not different sounds at separate faucets. Have you bled air out of the water heater? Don't know if you have an outside shower, but bleed it too if you have one. Also, check the galley faucet aerator in case it is clogged up and needs cleaning.

Since I don't have a trailer, I'll leave guesses on your water fill to others. Good luck.

My trailer has the Alde system so the water heater arrangement is different than other AS trailers. However, you may definitely be on to something with regard to the hot water system. Turns out ALL of the faucets make the continuous budda-budda nose when I run them with the hot water side of the faucet turned on. I'll have to play with this more after lunch....and thanks for the lead!

Old 09-03-2018, 03:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
rowiebowie, you were on the money with regard to the hot water heater as the culprit for my noise! I drained and refilled the boiler in order to reestablish the air cushion in the tank and now all is well, with the pump at least. Thanks again.

Now if only someone were to have a bright idea about the "leak" when I fill my fresh water tank....

Old 09-04-2018, 09:55 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1948 16' Wee Wind
Ada , Michigan
Leak

If the ONLY time you observe water dripping from under your trailer, I suspect a loose hose clamp.
I'm not familiar with your particular unit. Can you physically get to the fresh water tank from inside?
If so, you can tighten the hose clamps to the fresh water inlet. There is also a small vent hose there as well. It is also clamped to the inlet and to the tank itself. There is nothing else that would cause a leak when filling the tank. I doubt the hose is punctured. But anything is possible.

Good luck
dwinick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I don't know where all of the tanks in your trailer are, but what you describe sounds like a leak in the fill hose. The only normal drainage I get where you describe it is AC condensate. Again, your trailer may or may not drain there and I can't think why AC condensate would only drain while the fresh tank is filling, but if you can see precisely where the drainage is coming from and if it's a clear plastic tube in the wheel well then it's AC.

On our trailer the fresh tank is in a large, black plastic box between the axles. The fresh water fill tube connects to the capped inlet on the outside of the trailer and goes directly to a 90 degree fitting on the top of one side of the tank. A leak at the tank end should drain through the box with the tank in it (it has weep holes for that purpose). A leak at the filler end or a puncture in the hose could drain anywhere... literally anywhere.

My guess: You've got a leak at the fill end or a puncture in the tube itself and given the age of your trailer I'm assuming you've got warranty left and the repair should be covered by Airstream.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Thanks for the replies, GammaDog and dwinick.

I think you both must be correct about a leak in the fresh water tank fill hose or a loose clamp. The water isn't coming from the AC drain hose and, besides, the AC hasn't been run in weeks.

The trailer is parked on a very slight slope to one side which I think has more to do with exactly where the water is coming out than anything else.

I'll see if I can gain access to the hose or clamps but the trailer has to go in for warranty work on the interior shades so, worst case, I'll let them deal with the leak.