Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2020, 06:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Quakertown , Pennsylvania
Precision 550 vs Atwood or Suburban (alde) etc for mostly electric use

I am restoring/rebuilding a 62 Tradewind 24. It needs a new water heater. And furnace.(and pretty much everything else) I will mostly be plugged in to cheap electric and will have cheap and plentiful water. I am wondering what people recommend for mostly electric only use. Here are some random options I have mulled over.
1. Precision 500 series looks nice with the bare aluminum panel. I understand tankless could potentially be a pain if I ever boondock in the future, and it’s spendy compared to some other options.
2. Atwood with a tank seems like it would weigh a bit more, but that is not a big deal for me. It’s almost 1/3 the price of the precision.
3. Suburban seems similar to Atwood price wise.
4. I could go really complex and pricey and install Alde or other hydronic, that would take care of my hot water and furnace needs. I understand they are pretty efficient on electric only, which is what the majority of my use would be.
5. GIRARD 2GWHAM? Don’t know much about this, but it’s tankless and seems to cost about half what a precision does.
6. Maybe just do an electric only hot water heater for now, since these seem to be about 3-400 bucks or even less. This could be a pain down the road If I get into a situation where I wish i could use propane, or for potential resale purposes the versatility of having electric and propane will likely be appealing.

Thanks in advance for the wisdom !
62rosie is offline   Reply With Quote