Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2004, 08:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Rivet placing or replacing water pump

Does anyone have any photos on placing or replacing a water pump? I have a '74 Soveriegn and am interested in placing a new water pump but do not know how to go about doing this....
Old 04-27-2004, 05:45 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
R&R

Remove original and replace as it was.

Have you located it?

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:12 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
replacing or placing the water pump

The PO removed the water pump so I don't have one. There is new plumbing under the sink. Since I usually have to travel hundreds on miles on the way to my new assignments, there are alot of times I have to spend the night pulled over in a rest area or parking lot and have had to bring water with me. I would rather have access to potable water on these stops and not have to find a place that has those 'scary' bathrooms where you don't know what kinds of 'bugs' are lurking on the toilets and bathrooms!! I have a '74 Sovereign and I don't know if that makes a difference how to place a water pump or what kind to get.....I have searched like crazy to find this info. in a pictoral step-by-step, but have not been able to locate this...
Old 04-27-2004, 09:42 AM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Plumbing

Well it sounds like you are saying that all of your plumbing is replaced.

If so, can you tell if it is replaced because of remodeled interior, (walls, sink location changed, bathroom fixtures are relocated),or just replaced old busted pipes?

If your water fill hatch is still hooked up to fresh water tank, you should find some evidence of valves for draining the tank. I think it is in your closet, (under the false deck). This is also the location for your original pump.

Have you looked under your closet? maybe there is one already there.

You will need to hook the new pump into the the tube that goes to the tank (draw) and tee it (supply) into the city water connected pipe. So the finished result is a dual supply for the water system. The water system should then split into your hot water side and the cold water side.

The pump comes with a check valve to prevent back pressure to your city water connection and also prevents water from your city connection to the fresh water holding tank.

It would be very helpful if you can post some photos of your plumbing.Specifically the area in your under your closet false deck. You should find the regulator, pressure reif valve, pump, drain valves and filter in this area.

Smily
Old 04-27-2004, 05:55 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
placing or replacing water pump

I will take some photos and post them later this week as my AS is at my mother's home. The PO told us at the time he sold it to us that it was under the kitchen sink. The plumbing was replaced due to leaks and nothing has been remodeled. The intake pipe or where you place the water hose to put the water into the holding tank has been cut off so it can not be used at this time and the water pump was connected to that site which lead to the plumbing under the sink. I think that once I place some photos that it will be easier to tell what needs to be done. I plan on going tomorrow to get other photos of my AS also and will have additional questions in relation to the photos at that time. I was upset the last time I went to my mother's as she had boxes piled to the ceiling in our AS and she had used it for storage. The place was covered in ants!! We had just re-done the decorating at the time we left it there--but you can't tell it now!!
Old 04-28-2004, 06:16 AM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Sink location

Is your Galley sink located on the streetside or curbside?

It sounds as though the setup is comparable to my 71 model and it was also under the sink.

I added an accumulator tank under the sink also to prevent water hammer.

I think the cutoff pipe is not far away from the galley. It would be too hard to get to.

Where is the bathroom on your unit, center or rear?

Smily
Old 04-28-2004, 10:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The placement of the water pump isn't that big a deal. Flowjet has a new (and rather expensive) one that reduces the advantage of an accumulator tank, but that tank can be placed almost anywhere as well if you need to reduce cycling or other artifacts from the usual RV water pump.

I connect my water pump with sink connector lines (I like Tru-Value's selection) to make it easy to disconnect the pump for winterizing. This means that having the pump where it is easily available is a significant convenience.

On my '75 Ambassador, the old pump was screwed to the floor under the sink beside the furnace near the curb side wall. The new one is sitting on top of the furnace duct and held down by the water fill line because I haven't got arround to screwing it to the floor, yet (I am looking for one of those elusive round 'tuits ;-)

Other factors to consider besides access convenience include noise propagation and vibration. This is usually handled by mounting with rubber washers and behind some stuff in a cabinet.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:57 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
The water pump was origianally located on the curbside underneath the kitchen sink. I do have a rear bath and was planning on changing it to the center, but have been strongly advised not to do so because of the time, effort and cost issue. How much does a water pump usually cost and what brand do you recommend?
Old 04-28-2004, 12:06 PM   #9
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
many opinions

There will be many points of view on those questions. It may be easier for you to use search feature and type in "water pump"

I installed the shurflo, it cost around 80 to 100 dollars

Smily
Old 04-28-2004, 12:28 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Wow!! That is not a bad price at all!! Much better than I had expected. We just received a catalog from Camping World and I am going to search and see what I can find. Too bad, we don't have an RV parts/dealership in our area. We have several RV dealerships that deal only in selling new TT's and never an AS. So parts have to be found elsewhere. If they were smart, they would sell parts and supplies and not just the trailer. Being from Arkansas, the bulk of the people living here use their trailers for hunting and camping which means there are a lot of older TT's here which, in turn, are going to need servicing/parts/repair---hhuuummm--hence a new career?????? Also--I have seen two AS's on the way to my mothers that appear to be 60's model AS's..He has an RV park and no one is staying in them. I do not know if he rents them out ( the papermill is across the road and when the mill shuts down-they have an infux of personel for the job). The AS's appear to be in fair condition, but then again, I haven't gotten a close view yet....If I were on the market to buy another AS, I would have already hopped on this.