Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2021, 10:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Unhappy No power to water heater

The water heater in our 2012 FC works only on gas, so I replaced the controller board with one from Dinosaur. After installation it still will not heat up on electric. A green light is supposed to be lit on the new board if it is getting power, the light is not on. The gas side still works. I reset the breaker with no change. Any thoughts or ideas on what to do next?
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Check the conductivity on the heating element with an ohm meter. If the element is burnt out it will not heat. Also check all the 110 volt connections. You must have 110 volts for it to work.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
You might even need to check the continuity of the heating element when it's hot.

Last year, my Flying Cloud water heater stopped working on electric. I measured resistance across the contacts, and everything looked good. I had my wife switch on the power, and current flowed for a half minute or so before it became an open circuit. I had some sort of element failure that only manifested when hot.

While this took quite some effort to diagnose, it was relatively simple to replace.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
where is the element?
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:01 AM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
My SWAG on the inside of the trailer opposite of where the water heater is located on the outside. On mine it’s accessible under the lav sink open doors and there is the backside of water heater.

Disconnect all 120vac power before testing.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:07 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

abbotsford , British Columbia
it could be something as simple as a loose spade tip on the back of the main switch. I would take a look behind it. That board also requires 12v to work, with no green ight I would make sure its getting 12 v on its input. Once again that could be the main switch. On my hot water heater the main switch puts 12 v to the heater not 110v. I think it operates a relay. The 110 connection is right on the hot water heater. On an Atwood its a pair of wires at the top you can see them if you can see the inside top portion of the heater. The feed should be on its own breaker in your convertor box. I changed mine out form gas to electric/gas. I used a ground fault breaker. Actually i put in a ground fault outlet to connect it to. I suspect a stock one will also be on ground fault, so maybe that has tripped.
telcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:11 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
..... A green light is supposed to be lit on the new board if it is getting power, the light is not on. .....
Hi

That light would strongly suggest that 120V is *not* getting to the water heater. Grab your multimeter and start tracing the 120V. First check would be at the output of the breaker ( breakers sometimes fail ). Next step would be at the input the hot water heater. Assuming it's ok at the breaker and "gone" at the heater, star looking for wire nuts or other connections in the wires that service the heater.

(.... never rule out a mistake. Breakers need to be fully cycled (switched all the way) to reset. Double check the wiring on your new board for "I missed that wire" sort of mistakes ...).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote