Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2021, 11:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Port Colborne , Ontario
No hot water when on propane

Folks,
We are visiting with family and on arrival, I turned on the hot water heater using propane.
The heater ran for a while and then quit.
I have checked all the fuses and all are okay.
The red light in the panel in the bathroom does no come on at all.
I checked the actual heater to see if any wires were off.
There is no sound of the ignition clicking to try and start. The unit appears to be dead.
Thanks,
Keith S.
Keith S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:48 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Keith,

Can you provide the water heater model info? Helps pin down to your model etc.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:49 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Port Colborne , Ontario
Hi Gary,
The model number is GE 9 EXT W/PL
This is a very strange thing. The heater worked just fine when we arrived. I turned it on and we had hot water. Then later that evening no more hot water and no red light on the panel. I turned the unit off left if for a while and it would not restart.
We have arrived home and this morning I turned on and the unit fired up immediately.
Also, when we open and of the faucets on hot only the pump cycles on and off and the water seems to flow much more slowly. If we turn the faucet to cold the pump runs constantly Will much greater volume. A really mystery to me.
Do you think I should leave the e
Heater on and see if can maintain hot water temperature. As said when I first turned it on we had hot water but with very low flow and the pump cycling on and off.
Thanks,
Keith
Old 08-05-2021, 10:25 AM   #4
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith S View Post
Folks,
We are visiting with family and on arrival, I turned on the hot water heater using propane.
The heater ran for a while and then quit.
I have checked all the fuses and all are okay.
The red light in the panel in the bathroom does no come on at all.
I checked the actual heater to see if any wires were off.
There is no sound of the ignition clicking to try and start. The unit appears to be dead.
Thanks,
Keith S.
Hi Keith,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 08-06-2021, 04:36 AM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Keith,

I got tied up yesterday, 8+ hrs on a Husky Zero Turn mower. Fun.

Sounds like two problems. Water flow, does your tank have a mixing valve? I don't have one never been there but several threads about flow issues related to the mixing valve.

You can find several manuals here https://myrvworks.com/manuals/ just select water heater then Atwood and download. Courtesy of Darren at My RV Works.

Just for grins as this has been a common try this first tip. See the control board in the top right, does it have a harness that plugs on to it? Carefully disconnect the plug. Use a soft pencil eraser and just touch up those contacts. Reinstall and test. Looks like Atwood calls this the Edge Connector in manuals.

Also if you suspect a propane supply issue can you turn two stove burners on for a few minutes and just make sure regulator is delivering the goods.

And AS says hi, so that's something to see if they can help.

Gary
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712
Old 08-06-2021, 07:29 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Port Colborne , Ontario
Hi folks,
Okay I will send the information to you today.
One thing, if the unit requires repairs, I will take it back to Can-Am as I extended the warranty. If I can do a simple fix myself even better as the dealer is a fair distance from my home
Thank you
Keith
Old 08-06-2021, 07:38 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Port Colborne , Ontario
Thanks Gary,
I am a little tied up too. While away I became ill. We were stuck on. Y sons driveway for a few extra days as I had a stomach bug.
Two things all my literature refers to the unit as Dometic not Atwood.
I looked at the rear of the heater and there is a single yellow valve. It is the bypass valve. I did rotate it in the hope that some crud may be blocking it.
Yes, in the top right corner of the unit there is a circuit board and I will clean the contacts. I have an Arseholes can of contact cleaner that a friend uses on his light aircraft contacts.
I bought this trailer last year and we used it once. This latest outing was only the sencond time. Last year the water heater worked without any issues.
My old 1997 Safari gave me a hard time with the water heater so you can imagine my dismay at that this problem.

Anyway, as per the request, I will go and get the VIN number and send it out.

Hope the Husky is now tamed.
Regards,
Keith
Old 08-06-2021, 08:02 AM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Husky is resting. Me too.

Dometic bought Atwood.

Camp cooking or gas station sushi?
S/OS #001
Old 08-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Port Colborne , Ontario
My hot water woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Husky is resting. Me too.

Dometic bought Atwood.

Camp cooking or gas station sushi?
No gas station Sushi for me.
Glad Husky is resting. LOL

Have not heard back from Airstream. Hopefully next week. I did check to see if I could find a mixer valve and didn’t see one.

I hit the power on last night and the heater on it made hot water. Going to do it again tonight.

Regards,
Keith