Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Maine
No hot water, please help with some advice

I am spending my first few days in my 86 345. I am on city water. I've read as much of the instruction manuals as I can. I have gas as the stove works. I have a red light on the bathroom switch. But I still have no hot water. Any things to check would be appreciated. There are no other Airstreamers here and no one has any suggestions.
gowiththeflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowiththeflo View Post
I have gas as the stove works. I have a red light on the bathroom switch. But I still have no hot water. Any things to check would be appreciated.
Hi- Our 90 345 works as follows: When we need hot water we hit the switch in bathroom that lights that red light. Once that red light is lit after a moment we hear a clicking that actually lights the burner. Once the burner ignites the red light turns off and the burner then heats the water. I'd have to guess that your 86 should work similar. On ours it takes about 15 minutes to heat the water tank.

Are you hearing the clicking that ignites the burner?

Is the burner igniting?

If the red light comes on and stays on this is where I'd start looking.

Let us know.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Maine
Light stays on

The red light stays on. I have flipped it several times. Not sure I hear a clicking. Are there valves that could have been shut off to the water heater itself or is there a pilot to check if it is lit?

Thanks!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
The red light stays on. I have flipped it several times. Not sure I hear a clicking. Are there valves that could have been shut off to the water heater itself or is there a pilot to check if it is lit?

Thanks!!!
I don't remember ever seeing a shut off valve, on mine. Also on mine, on the driver side of coach just before the drive wheel there's a 18" X 15" vented door marked 'HOT'. This is where to check if it's lit. When opened you'll see the end of about a 3" tube that has two red wires connected to the igniter's. This is where the clicking starts, then you can hear it burning after it ignites. (sounds the same as one of those portable shop space heaters if that tells you anything.)

I would think that if the red light stays on and you don't hear any clicks the igniter isn't trying to fire it up. If I remember right when this happens there will be an automatic time delay before it try's to ignite again. On mine one time I found a damaged wire end at the terminal board next to that module that feeds the igniter and after replacing connector we had hot water again.

I'm not real sure but if the propane isn't flowing there because of spiders or any other type of clog how that exactly would affect the igniter but I'd guess you would still hear the clicks it just would not have anything to ignite.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Flip the red light switch off, wait a minute then flip it on. Run around to the water heater door, or have someone stand there, and listen for the clicking of the ignitor. If no sound, there's an ignitor problem. If it is clicking but doesn't light, try the off and on routine a few times to purge the line of air. It can take a few cycles if the water heater has not been lit in awhile or after a propane tank change. Look into the ignition tube (where the flame should be) to make sure a spider hasn't plugged it with a web nest. Good luck!
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Rivet hot water in the summer is a good idea

Quote:
I am spending my first few days in my 86 345. I am on city water. I've read as much of the instruction manuals as I can. I have gas as the stove works. I have a red light on the bathroom switch. But I still have no hot water. Any things to check would be appreciated. There are no other Airstreamers here and no one has any suggestions.
Assuming that you have run the hot water spigot somewhere to be sure the tank is full of water. You may have a bad connection, usually a white corrosion collects on the spade connectors. You can pull them apart and reconnect to try to see if the ignitor works, mine had that problem on a motorhome I had only two years old.

Take a lighter outside with you in case the igniter is bad and you can light the heater by holding it under the thermocouple while the inside switch is on in most heaters.

Post a photo of your heater, helps to see what you have going on as well.

Good luck
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Arcamedies brings up a great point - do you know for sure that the heater tank is full of water? If not, it won't fire off. Do you have cold water coming through the lines when any faucet is turned to the hot position? If not, perhaps the valves to/from the water heater are closed. Find the water line diagram for your unit, with the valve locations. If you find the winterizing instructions, those will tell you how to get the valves in the right positions for normal water flow.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Maine
Pix

Thank you all. Here is the cabinet.
The light has blinked once or twice after resetting, but no click, and no light.

Where should I try to light pilot?

The directions don't make much sense as they talk about a pilot switch, which I don't see.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	106267   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0361.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	106268  

Old 07-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
The box in the upper right corner is the circuit for the electronic ignition. The post to the left with the tag is the pressure relief valve. With your water pump on lift the lever on that valve to release a little water. This will verify that the tank is full of water.

The "hole" in the lower right is where the flame should be. You can try a lighter inserted in the hole while someone operates the switch in the bath. You have about 5 seconds after the switch is operated to get it lit before it cycles off.

Check and clean all the connections. With no clicking, you may need a new circuit board.

Good luck.
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Maine
water pump

When I press the button for water pump, nothing happens. I am on city water. Is there something I need to do? I am truly sorry... if I get through this I promise to help other newbies way in the future!
Old 07-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
When I press the button for water pump, nothing happens. I am on city water. Is there something I need to do? I am truly sorry... if I get through this I promise to help other newbies way in the future!
If you have city water hooked up lift the lever on the pressure relief valve to verify the tank is full.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Maine
No water

I lifted the release valve and nothing came out, ergo I guess there is no water in the tank. I am attaching pictures of the other side of the heater. There are two valves I see. One seems to unscrew but the other just turns. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	106276  
Old 07-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
An alternate way to check for water in the tank is to loosen the drain plug in the lower left of the picture. Removal of this plug should be part of the winterizing procedure. If no water comes out of this plug there in no water in the tank. Turn off city water and the internal pump and then loosen the plug slowly. Residual pressure in the system and gravity will let you know for sure if there is water in the tank.
Mike Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Maine
Drain plug?

I made some "progress"... I learned that the valves must be pulled out and turned in order to open them. I did that on the two. I went outside and saw a lot of water flowing out of the bottom of the unit.

Could the drain plug be open and where is it?

Of course I shut the valves again for the moment.

Thanks a million again.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Maine
Quick overview

I bought this unit from a PO who didn't have but five minutes to spare to show me the unit, despite the fact I coordinated pickup time and date with him. I have some of the manuals but I assume there must be others because I don't have any valve diagramming or any in-depth information on the unit. I do have some manuals on individual parts which has helped, but none on the water heater.

I've been basically trying to figure this out on my own. I'm good with networks, but not so good with mechanical systems. Maybe this was or wasn't for me, but it is still my dream, and I feel like I AM making progress, painful as it is. (Mashed finger in the door closer today as an example.)

Thanks all for your support... I'd be lost and dead and buried without you.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
In the picture of the grey plumbing there are two grey valves that are used to winterize the unit. When you open these valves normally water drains to the outside of the RV thru openings under the floor. The drain plug on the water heater is the round grey (white) device in the lower left quadrant of the picture. From the picture it looks like the drain plug is in place. Normally it is just a standard plastic 1/2" pipe plug.
Mike Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Maine
Lightbulb Fixed!!!!!! Thank you all.

Thank you all... I have learned so much from each of you and each had a piece of the puzzle. Something I did last night... I wish I could say what... got water flowing to the tank. So when the fix your RV onsite women came today and I said there was no water in the tank first of all, and I pulled the release valve to demonstrate... water can out. But still no ignition.

They did what you all had suggested... a thorough cleaning of all parts and contacts as well as the circuit board and the two valves. Lots and lots of dirt. When put back together... IGNITION!

Thank you for teaching me and helping me to trace all the parts. I wouldn't have had all the tools to do it myself anyway because some of those screws are incredibly tiny and I left my chimney sweep brushes home.

So once again... a successful resolution. This is a great forum.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Thank you all... I have learned so much from each of you and each had a piece of the puzzle. Something I did last night... I wish I could say what... got water flowing to the tank. So when the fix your RV onsite women came today and I said there was no water in the tank first of all, and I pulled the release valve to demonstrate... water can out. But still no ignition.

They did what you all had suggested... a thorough cleaning of all parts and contacts as well as the circuit board and the two valves. Lots and lots of dirt. When put back together... IGNITION!

Thank you for teaching me and helping me to trace all the parts. I wouldn't have had all the tools to do it myself anyway because some of those screws are incredibly tiny and I left my chimney sweep brushes home.

So once again... a successful resolution. This is a great forum.
OK now that you have survived your water heater trauma I have to ask, Are you having fun yet?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
Lewiston , Maine
Fun until... it quit

Well after my Onsite RV repairwomen had left, I noticed the heater was no longer on. At best a tiny bit of lukewarm water. So what to look for now???

And no, I would not say I am having fun, but well, I am learning. Patience, mostly!
Old 07-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Well after my Onsite RV repairwomen had left, I noticed the heater was no longer on. At best a tiny bit of lukewarm water. So what to look for now???

And no, I would not say I am having fun, but well, I am learning. Patience, mostly!
Go back and re-clean the connections. Make sure the thermocouple is positioned in the flame. My heater is the same model as yours and sometimes can be frustrating. Sometimes I hit the switch and it runs perfectly and other times it takes several tries to get it to light. Other times it will light and go out after a few minutes. Once in a while one of us has to go out an stick a lighter in it to get it to light. I swear I'm going to rip it out and throw it away and then it will work perfectly for several days. Fortunately it works properly most of the time.

I guess it's all part of the fun.

Cheers, Dan