Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2022, 02:08 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Mysterious Midnight Water Heater Clicking

While running on shore power and have the electric hot water heating element only switched on, I notice a periodic faint clicking always in the very late night or early morning hours. Never during the times when we are normally awake. If I shut off the heating element the sound stops. I have replaced the water heater control electronics, with no sucess.

I am guessing that as the WH approaches set temp, I am hearing the shut off call for heat switch cycle?

Is this normal?

-Hugh
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:44 PM   #2
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post
While running on shore power and have the electric hot water heating element only switched on, I notice a periodic faint clicking always in the very late night or early morning hours. Never during the times when we are normally awake. If I shut off the heating element the sound stops. I have replaced the water heater control electronics, with no sucess.

I am guessing that as the WH approaches set temp, I am hearing the shut off call for heat switch cycle?

Is this normal?

-Hugh
Yes you are going to hear noise as there is a thermostat and a relay, anytime you have a substantial load like a heating element it is normally going to be switched on and off with a relay that can handle the current, relays click when they activate. You may also have a load selecting device that some RVs have when the water heater shares a circuit with another appliance like the microwave, it will cut power to the water heater when the microwave is switched on then restore power after a set time when the microwave is finished, this makes a clicking sound as well.
Old 05-20-2022, 03:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Got it thanks. I understand the switching clicks, but this is more like a series of clicks like a continuous buzz for about 5 seconds.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post
Got it thanks. I understand the switching clicks, but this is more like a series of clicks like a continuous buzz for about 5 seconds.

My 2002 vintage water heater has two thermal shutoffs. One is at the desired water temperature and one is an over-temp protection device. Assuming your water is not excessively hot, I would suspect the normal shutoff switch is not making good contact and causing the control electronics to chatter the relay. The other option is the relay itself has bad contacts and you are hearing arcing until to connection makes or breaks. There shutoffs are behind a cardboard cover accessible from the front of the heater. In my trailer that is behind a trim panel below the cabinet door under the bathroom sink. One of mine failed and I had to replace it, but the symptom was the heater would not work at all.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:48 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , NC
Our relief valve made weird noises at night before it completely broke and leaked.
JoeHTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:55 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
We always turn off water heater during the night. Why heat water when no one is using it.
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:16 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
WARNER ROBINS , GA
hi,

water will stay hot for hours. great feature for boondocking.
jrwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport 16 STL View Post
We always turn off water heater during the night. Why heat water when no one is using it.
I think the sound is prolly happening all the time but you only hear it at night. Al and Missy have a point regarding chattering relays. Might want to check that out. Ours is gas only so we turn it off at night to avoid middle of the night firings and it's always warm enough to wash your face in the morning. Turn it on when you rise and it'll be ready for a shower in no time. - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:06 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Thanks for all the input. Something to think about and not worry. If it fails, I'll replace it. It was just a bit random and puzzling.

Growing up I tended fixate on mechanical anomalies, especially weird sounds. Probably came from owning too many British sports cars, Cause when you heard something that didn't belong, disaster wasn't far behind; like a spoke wheel leaving the car when the knock-off flew ahead of the car. Oops.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:49 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Piney Woods , Texas
Hugh - we are experiencing the same thing as you described in our 2020 globetrotter - did you ever have a confirmation on what was causing the night time noise on your water heater?
Thanks Eddie
Eddie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:54 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport 16 STL View Post
YES THIS^^^^^^^

We turn it on at reveille, shut it off after the last sip of Resurrection Fluid and it's usually still warm enough for dinner clean up.

Bob
🇺🇸

Snip QUOTE><><>Growing up I tended fixate on mechanical anomalies, especially weird sounds. Probably came from owning too many British sports cars, Cause when you heard something that didn't belong, disaster wasn't far behind; like a spoke wheel leaving the car when the knock-off flew ahead of the car. Oops.

#$%^&*(OP{*U&^%$#

The British SAE just determined thru extensive research that motor oil is a liquid, they are collaborating with HD on a fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B887C5CE-635D-4260-9557-FD1D5C6E1A1F_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	431012  
Old 05-02-2023, 09:25 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie B View Post
Hugh - we are experiencing the same thing as you described in our 2020 globetrotter - did you ever have a confirmation on what was causing the night time noise on your water heater?
Thanks Eddie
Hey Eddie- I changed out the electronic control board and it seems to happen less frequently. It is an odd symptom random clicking always after midnight and not every night. It knows if I get up out of bed to check outside because the clicking stops before I can reach the exit door. Ghosts in the electronics? I finally gave up trying to isolate the problem and decided to live with it. I just roll over and go back to sleep,🌞
Old 05-03-2023, 12:46 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Piney Woods , Texas
Thanks Hugh and will do the same. We use ours about 5 months a year but winterize it even though it is in Texas. I thought about perhaps flushing the water heater out as calcium buildup has been a problem in the past (one time the facets would not work and I had to remove and clean the strainers). But I am going to let it ride and if something significant happens - I will post on this thread. Thanks again - Eddie
Old 05-03-2023, 02:29 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Key West , Florida
thermostat replacement, low cost easy fix for the click.
DonRich7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 11:06 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Piney Woods , Texas
Thanks

Thank you - I will look into it. - perhaps add a thermostat to my spares kit if nothing else.
Old 05-10-2023, 02:54 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Robert-Is that a red Triumph GT6? If so, good luck.