Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2005, 10:05 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
MORE POWER!! Newer bigger waterpump?

My 97 Excella is equiped with the normal noisy-low pressure/flow electric water pump. It's a ShurFlo, not sure of the exact model but I'm guessing it's the standard 2.8-3 GPM 45 PSI model.

I'd like to replace it with one of the new generation "Smart pumps" such as a ShurFlo Extreme Smart Series 5.7. As the name implys the output is 5.7GPM with a max of 65 PSI.

I've seen a picture of my current pump and the 5.7 side by side and I have enough room for the new-larger pump. Does any one know of a valid reason why I can't upgrade to the new pump?

Thanks,
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Assuming, as you do, that there are no physical limitations, the only difficulty is the amperage draw may require heavier wire. This will be complicated a bit if you also have a three-way switch for the pump, in which case you may need to use a relay. But even then it can certainly be done.

Mark
Old 04-23-2005, 10:09 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Three reasons.

One is the amperage draw. You will need to use a relay and wire a heavier gauge wire to the pump location from the panel or battery.

Second is the pressure relief valve that is built into the plumbing system of the coach. Most are set at 35 PSI.

The current plumbing of your coach may not be able to take the pressure. It was not designed for that high of pressure.

The VSD version is quiet and flows very well. It will not overpressure your system.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Reason #4-
How fast do you want to run out of water if you are boondocking?
Consumption is easier controlled at 3 GPM than 5.7 GPM.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:37 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
Assuming, as you do, that there are no physical limitations, the only difficulty is the amperage draw may require heavier wire. This will be complicated a bit if you also have a three-way switch for the pump, in which case you may need to use a relay. But even then it can certainly be done.

Mark
Sorry, I should have mentioned electrical. My current waterpump draws 7.0 amps and is on a 15 amp circuit. The Shurflo Extreme Smart Series 5.7 draws a maximum of 10 amps. My current pump is all or nothing, the 5.7 adjusts output to meet demand so current demand will be lower most of the time.

I knew that there is a pressure regulator on the city water system but didn't know about anything on the internal system. I'll look over the diagram for the water system and see what I find.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Old 04-23-2005, 10:40 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
Reason #4-
How fast do you want to run out of water if you are boondocking?
Consumption is easier controlled at 3 GPM than 5.7 GPM.
Good point. However, I'm tired of the noise and vibration of my current pump. If I was truely worried about water consumption (which I'm not) they also sell a 4 GPM version.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Old 04-23-2005, 10:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I am sure there are several models of quiet pumps on the market with amp draws and pressure that would be compatible.
When I go camping, I don't spend that much time with the pump on anyway...total 5 minutes a day, maybe?
One additional feature of being able to hear it is knowing if you have a pressure leak. That is exactly how I found my water heater tank had ruptured, ever so slightly....the pump kept coming on for just a spurt. Had it been silent, I might have had a huge wet mess. Since I heard the pump, it was discovered quickly.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:13 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
I replaced my standard shurflo with the 5.7 extreme, no problems with the electrical, I have a 96 Excella 30. You also have to buy a new strainer(filter) because it matches the pump for the high flow rate. It was easy to install and when you winterize your trailer it's very easy to disconnect the water line so you can blow out the line. I'm very happy with the extreme pump. I saw in the new issue of Trailer Life that there is a new 4.0 gal/min Extreme pump for smaller trailers.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:08 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by basecamp
I replaced my standard shurflo with the 5.7 extreme, no problems with the electrical, I have a 96 Excella 30. You also have to buy a new strainer(filter) because it matches the pump for the high flow rate. It was easy to install and when you winterize your trailer it's very easy to disconnect the water line so you can blow out the line. I'm very happy with the extreme pump. I saw in the new issue of Trailer Life that there is a new 4.0 gal/min Extreme pump for smaller trailers.
Did replacing your standard pump with the 5.7 solve the low flow/noise issue?
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Old 04-24-2005, 09:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Just a note:
At least one model is a 24 volts unit vice 12 volts..
I'd be sure to check that too.
Ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:27 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

A Different Approach

is to use an accumulator tank. Shurflo makes one that is 9" x 4" x 3" and connects inline after the water pump.

Action is to store some pressure via an adjustable air bladder and effectively reduces your pump operation especially on shorter valve open times.

Hence you have a pump working perhaps 30-50% less time and thus less noise. For example the pump probably Won't come on when used to rinse hands late at night.

How many of you have experience with an accumulator tank?

Steve
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote