Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2023, 12:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Sorry for your problems

There have been many debates in the Girard ,I don’t want to sound snarky as you’re just one of the thousands that have the Girard nightmare! It’s low bid with lousy factory tech support. They tell you it is what it is ! 45-69 seconds of cold is normal.

We have experienced your exact problems. The Girard needs 38psi so make sure your adjustment flow control knob on the Girard is wide open. It will not work off city water very well so use your pump and the dealer or you will have to check it’s pressures.

We have for 2 years had Jackson Center do everything they could for us and while we are greatly appreciative it did not help. They replaced pressures regulators adjusted gas pressure adjusted the pump.

So we installed a IRVWPC module ( Google it) and it is the best performance we can get out of the Girard. Still pathetic but better. The IRVWPC has pump pressure adjustments and pulse width modulation which delivers 38-40 psi running with good volume. The Girard likes that.

That said in May we have contracted with a factory Truma tech to rip out the Girard and install a new Truma tankless system. You can review that on the YouTube channel All About RVs. Jarred did a good review
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 12:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Flagstaff , Arizona
For those who carry a 2kw generator when off grid consider the Bosch Model ES8 Mini-Tank hot water heater. The Bosch needs about 1,700 watts of shore power or generator power to heat water. With a cold tank it will take about 40 minutes to heat 7 gallons to 122F. Much shorter time if there is still warm water in the tank.

This tank has excellent insulation. In 24 hours a fully heated tank will only cool about 5 to 10 degrees. So if you heat the tank in the afternoon you will still have hot water the next morning. It fits snuggly in the area where the factory tank was installed on my 2022 25' Globetrotter FB. No propane involved. In my case off grid the F150 PowerBoost heats the tank.

See this post.

Old 04-20-2023, 08:31 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mcgregor , Texas
We have a 2022 Globetrotter and battled the shower issue for quite some time. No matter how you set the thermostat we kept getting hot/cold water to the shower even when setting to only hot. The fix I used is to remove the water miser valve in the base of the shower handle. I know that this uses more water but now we can set the thermostat to 103, turn the shower to hot and have a nice refreshing long shower. This resolved the constant cycling on/off of the water heater. I use a water filter and pressure regulator at the water source to keep water hose safe from over pressure. We had a city park recently warn us that the water pressure was over 100 psi to make sure and use a regulator.
Rickeyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 08:40 AM   #24
Al Denty

2023 30' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcorner27 View Post
We had the same 1/2” zero G hose on our ‘22 PB. Initially on our first outing in it last summer I couldn’t figure out why our shower and sink pressure was so low and wouldn’t activate the water heater unless adding pump assistance. Straight out of the park spigot the water had very high flow and pressure. The front desk even warned us of the very high pressure. Decided to unhook the city water connection at the trailer and completely opened the spigot and then saw how thin the stream a 1/2” hose provides. Good looking pressure but overall low flow. Was luckily camping not too far from a Lowe’s and grabbed a 5/8” zero G and that instantly fixed the problem. Cheap and easy.

Edit: correction, bought a drinking water safe 3/4” version, not 5/8”.
Yeah, I think this is likely a huge contributor to the issue. Never had a problem with it in our Basecamp, but then again the Basecamp didn't have this #$%^ing instant hot water heater either.
Al Denty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 08:44 AM   #25
Al Denty

2023 30' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchase View Post
The fix for low water pressure in my 2022 25' Globetrotter. Top inlet came with the trailer rated 50psi, bottom inlet from rated at 65psi. Problem solved.
Great idea, but did you worry that the higher pressure would cause other issues for your plumbing system? I suppose Jackson Center might also say that this voids your warranty and/or that any other plumbing issues are no longer their responsibility (I mean, assuming they actually noticed the difference).

How long has your new inlet been installed and have you had any other plumbing issues come up since installation?
Old 04-20-2023, 08:49 AM   #26
Al Denty

2023 30' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
We have experienced your exact problems. The Girard needs 38psi so make sure your adjustment flow control knob on the Girard is wide open. It will not work off city water very well so use your pump and the dealer or you will have to check it’s pressures.
Airstream Support told me to check this adjustment valve too, but I could not find it on my installation. I looked in the manual and it is listed as optional. [shrug]

Quote:
We installed a IRVWPC module ( Google it) and it is the best performance we can get out of the Girard. Still pathetic but better. The IRVWPC has pump pressure adjustments and pulse width modulation which delivers 38-40 psi running with good volume. The Girard likes that.
I will definitely look into this!

Quote:
That said in May we have contracted with a factory Truma tech to rip out the Girard and install a new Truma tankless system. You can review that on the YouTube channel All About RVs. Jarred did a good review
We had a Truma in our Basecamp and never had an issue with it. Definitely something to consider. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2023, 09:41 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Denty View Post
Great idea, but did you worry that the higher pressure would cause other issues for your plumbing system? I suppose Jackson Center might also say that this voids your warranty and/or that any other plumbing issues are no longer their responsibility (I mean, assuming they actually noticed the difference).

How long has your new inlet been installed and have you had any other plumbing issues come up since installation?
Everything works fine. Suggest you research PEX tubing specifications for PSI. As to warranty, if Airstream took that contract literally they would send a technician to your trailer to repair the defect.

For others, before the Airstream I had never worked with PEX tubing. It is very simple to install and repair. Everything you need is on Amazon.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:01 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2024 30' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I have been having the same issue which I resolved this weekend following the advice to measure flow rates throughout the system.

I measured a flow rate of 8 gal/min from the city water faucet. I use a 25’ 1/2” zero g hose. Flow rate after this hose was 6.5 gal/min so a 1.5 gal/min loss over the zero g. I then use a Blu Technology 3 stage filter and water softener. Flow rate downstream of this and at entrance to trailer was 6 gal/min at 58psi.

Flow rate inside the trailer was 1 - 2 gals min. Conclusion was that the pressure controller was at fault. I replaced the unit and now everything is working again.

Thanks for all of the guidance here.
FredWilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 01:07 PM   #29
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Denty View Post
Hi all.

After 3 weeks on the road with the new Flying Cloud, we've run into a water pressure issue that is driving us crazy. The TL;DR is that, in most cases, even when hooked up to an external water source with good pressure, the tankless hot water heater will not activate unless we use the water pump to boost the pressure. We also find that the pressure and flow rate from the sinks and shower are fairly low unless we use the pump (note: these are subjective comments, no actual pressure or flow readings have been taken). So I am coming to you all for some wise counsel. Read on for details...

We originally thought that it might be the ClearSource Ultra that we have been using, but when we remove the ClearSource from the system we still sometimes find that we need to use the water pump. Besides, the ClearSource website says that the Ultra is rated at 4.5 gal/min output which is significantly higher than the 0.6 gal/min required by our Girard GSWH-2 tankless hot water heater. The folks at ClearSource have been great to work with as we've tried to troubleshoot this issue, so they get big props for that!

I called Airstream Support and they suggested that the issue might be the ShurFlo water pressure inlet and regulator. They sent me a new one, but when I removed the four screws holding the original onto the trailer I found that there was no slack on the plumbing connection to the trailer so I could not get my fingers or a wrench inside to remove the original (not to mention the sharp aluminum edges surrounding the water connection). I was also concerned that if I was able to successfully remove the original I would not be able to adequately tighten the plumbing connection to the back of the new one. I asked Airstream to tell me how to remove the old one and install the new one, but they had no advice because these are installed on new units on the assembly line before the interior walls are put on. They pointed me to some YouTube videos that were also totally unhelpful.

By the way, I noted in the manual that the Girard hot water heater needs water pressure of "45 PSI or greater" to activate, and we know that the ShurFlo limits the pressure to 50 PSI. Seems like a thin margin to me, but what do I know?

So this leads me to all of you. Are any of you experiencing the same issues? Has anyone found a solution so that we don't need to run the water pump while hooked up? Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the ShurFlo and install a new one?

Any and all advice and tips would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

David
POI...I also had quite a few warranty concerns that JC sent parts for, the WP being one of them...
I kept and repaired the WP for a spare along with pantry bearing slides & the door for the under sink bathroom cabinet .

Good luck...

I've found it best,(for us), to use the pump full time and only use the camp hook-up when the tank needs the water.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 02-25-2024, 08:35 PM   #30

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Indio , CA
I want to Thank Boat Nut G2 for the post on the recirculating Pump. It fixed the long warmup time I had in my house. For the camper, I am trying a new flow regulator as suggested by Goldenchase. I too have to turn the water heater down to 104 degrees and turn the shower to full hot to get the tankless heater to turn on. To get hot water in the kitchen , I have to turn on the hot water in the bathroom sink. It makes for a lot of water waste right now.
Phill K is offline   Reply With Quote