Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Calgary , Alberta
Leaky SHURflo Pressure Sensor

Hey gang!

I wasn't able to properly winterize our unit in time for a very early, very deep and vey unexpected cold snap last September (went to -8C overnight from 20C the previous day ).

Anyway, as a result, we now have a small leak in our SHURflow pump (model 2088-422-144) right where the pressure sensor mounts to the head of the pump. I've tried a couple of different and creative "field repairs" but to no avail. It still leaks, both when the pump is running and when we are attached to city water. I suspect the culprit is a leaky diaphram on the pressure sensor side but it's possible that more parts were damaged by the freeze - it's hard to tell.

So, do folks feel it's worthwhile just buying a replacement pressure sensor (about $30) or do I need to look at replacing the whole pump ($160)? Any thoughts or experiences?
Freeheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Mainly it is a financial call, along with the amount of work you wish to do. If you replace the sensor and it works, you save money. If it does not, you need a new pump anyway and have lost the investment in the sensor.

Are you feeling lucky?
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

It is likely just the diaphragm as that is the part that holds water. The rest of the pump is electrical.
Repairs are easy even if you are not very handy.
When my pump started leaking, I purchased a pump and a diaphragm. I put the diaphragm on my old pump and now I carry a backup.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
I had the same failure. I thought it was caused by freezing. I replaced the sensor; easy install - fixed the problem.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Calgary , Alberta
Great - thanks folks!
Freeheel is offline   Reply With Quote