Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2007, 01:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Leaky Hot Water Heater

Water is puddling under the hot water heater. It is not the intake or outflow as both are dry as a bone. The only thing I can think of is the drain plug, which appears to be well seated. I don't know how the drain outlet fits into the tank. I can't see where from underneath the water is coming. Since this is a sealed tank, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Your trailer is new enough that I wouldn't suspect a leak in the tank, but it is possible. Are there any other water lines in the area? Relief valve leak?
Good luck finding it.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Since Dave brought it up - my guess too is the tank is leaking. Same situation on our 71 - no apparent leaks at any fittings but water seeping out from under the housing. Turns out our tank is cracked - seems the PO didn't drain it properly when he winterized - at least that's what a local dealer felt caused it. It's on the to be fixed list.

Hope you find the leak and it's not the tank...
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Is the water inside and under the bed? I have had issues where the drain plug appeared to be tight but still leaked just a little when the heater was on and the water was warm and expanded. Water was SLOWLY dripping on the OUTSIDE of the trailer. A 1/4 turn on the drain plug closed the leak.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If the drain or safty valve leak they shoud drain to the outside of the trailer and thus on the ground. However I would look at the safty valve just after the heater has reached temperature to be sure it has not releaved. This will only show up at that time because the water at the valve will evaporate quickly after the event do to temperature. If the safty valve releases do to pressure that spray might find a way back into the trailer through the gas pipe hole. That hole should be caulked.

Does your heater have a winter bypass system. The system used on my trailer is a fairly sizable valve, about 4 x 6. hanging below the piping. This vavle has vibrated loose at the flare nuts several times and left the floor wet while only leaving the smallest drop of evidence at the flare nut.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:35 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not sure if you mean the leak is inside or out, but on our 2004, when I remove the tank plug that drains to the outside, that nylon plug tends to wear a bit. I noticed some weeping getting around the threads.... I place some plumber's tape on the threads and no weeping happens after that....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:58 PM   #7

Joburg , Michigan
Northern MI with same problem of leaking water heater. Perhaps we didn't winterize properly after having purchased our 27' Classic just last fall. Spring outting found the leak after trying to fill water tank without bypassing hot water heater. Bypassed water heater and everything was fine, but when we need hot water we will need to find the source of our problem. We would appreciate any hints.
marinanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Had this problem last week on an older trailer. All fittings were dry, plenty of water underneath the heater. Pulled the heater and it was full of pinholes. Atwood brand. I ordered another from Palamino Parts which should be coming soon.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Leak opposite water heater

We were camping in Big Sur, CA this last week, and when I turned on the water heater in our '07 Bambi Safari SE, I noticed, after a few minutes, a slow drip from the OPPOSITE side of the trailer, from the small exterior dome light that illuminates the dump valves. This leak always stopped after the water heater was turned off, and never amounted to more than a couple of tablespoons of water. Since it is exactly opposite the water heater, I thought this may be a combination of condensation and a slight tilt in the side-to-side level of the trailer. Anyone else experience this?

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I doubt that it is condinsation during a heating cycle. Water condinsences do to cooling not heating.

If you do not have any type of air pressure tank added to your water system, not generaly a factory item, While not on city water run the hot water heater. Once the heater has cycled turn the pump on and charge the water system. Turn the pump off and then let thing sit over night with the hot water heater cycling against it's thermostate. Next day turn the pump on again. If the pump cycles you have lost pressure somewhere and most likely have a leak.

Assuming there is no significant change in the outside temperature from when you first charge the system with pressure until you check it again the pressure should hold unless there is a change in the volume, "leak".

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
I have a 1972 Argosy and ran water to the hot water tank and once did had a lot of water leaking from under the tank and drippping out side the tralier a lot . Can the tank be replaced and if so were can one be purchased and how hard is this job to do???? if any one know I could use the help.
Thanks George
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote