Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2022, 07:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
Morehead City , North Carolina
Exclamation Issue with Girard Tankless Waterheater

I have a mechanical question that I'm hoping the wonderful experts in this forum can help me with. I have a 2021 Caravel 22' with a Girard tankless water heater. This week was the first time I've taken, LJ the Airstream out for this year. The problem I'm having is that the water isn't getting to the target temp of 120 degrees. It isn't even getting past 100 degrees so my showers are not warm at all (at least not bone chilling cold but still cold). The kitchen sink is warmer than the bathroom sink but the shower won't even put out hot water (the water heater doesn't even come on when the shower is on.)
To note:
The propane is on, working and I'm getting a strong flame on my stovetop.
There is no error code displaying on my water heater display.
The camper is level.
I'm hooked up to the campground city water.
I thought maybe the water pressure wasn't strong enough to trip the water heater so I turned it off and used my freshwater tank. The water did get a little hotter and the water heater started working for the shower -still not reaching the target temp or going over 100 degrees but it came on. I just took a shower and it never got higher than 92 degrees.
Has anyone ever had this issue? If so, how do I fix? I've visited all the forums and websites I can to troubleshoot but most only talk about what to do for error codes. I haven't found anything for the water heater not heating fully. I didn't have this problem last year and we took LJ out several times for trips and even week long trips. Thanks for your help in advance!
Cpigott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:01 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2022 28' International
Lakewood , Washington
We have a tankless water heater and agree that the water temperature to the bathroom does not get to the temp set on the wall by the sink. We have minimum experience with this because our unit was delivered late in the season and hasn't been anywhere these past several months. On our brief outing I used the shower and was not impressed. I did turn the water pump on, while connected to city water and the temperature improved by a few degrees due to the increased water pressure going thru the tankless. There is a valve on the back of the tankless to adjust water flow. There also have been several threads these past 6 months on the tankless with suggestions to recirculate and other exotic things. Sorry not much help, still learning.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
What is the temperature of the incoming water? The tankless hot water heater will only raise the temperature of the incoming water by 50 degrees or so. This is fine in the summer time when the incoming water is 75 degrees. If you are starting with 50 degree water, your shower isn't going to be very warm, as you have discovered.

Cheers,

John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:45 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Vashon Island , Washington
Hi, I don't know if this would help but try setting the hot water for 110-ish degrees and then when you want to use hot water turn the hot water tap on full without any cold water to blend it. That's what I've done in my 2022 FC and it seems to work. I set mine at 112 and then to take a shower I just turn it on full blast hot water only and it's perfect, and it saves time trying to get the right temp.

I think that maybe if cold water is blended (like you would with a conventional water heater) then the hot water line doesn't get enough flow for the heater to really kick in. Although, I suppose none of this would really explain why you didn't have this problem last year..

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnpk Crsr View Post
What is the temperature of the incoming water? The tankless hot water heater will only raise the temperature of the incoming water by 50 degrees or so. This is fine in the summer time when the incoming water is 75 degrees. If you are starting with 50 degree water, your shower isn't going to be very warm, as you have discovered.

Cheers,

John
This has not been my experience at all. I did two camping trips this winter in the PNW in the 20s and 30s and the water heater worked.
AlIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:31 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' Flying Cloud
Hansville , WA
The other thing to check is the shower head. Is there debris in it that could be not allowing the necessary flow to the water heater. Might need to check that out. We also have learned to set the temperature on the thermostat for the shower, turn on the vanity sink and the shower, hot water only and wait for the temp to get up, turn off the vanity, hop in the shower and enjoy.

One more thing, if you use the water pump to boost the pressure, you are taking water from the fresh water tank. Learned the hard way after a long shower and had an empty fresh water tank!! Always learning! Good luck. Big Red
Big Red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 11:16 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
SALT LAKE CITY , Utah
You are not alone. We took possession of our 2021 FC with the tankless water heater. We have tested in multiple conditions and were still having trouble.

We took Roxanne, our FC, in for warranty issues, plus checking the lines in the airstream for the water heater issues. What the service department found was our lines to and from the heater were kinked is several places. They had to straighten the lines and adjust the flow meeters at the both the water heater its self, and the intake lines.

Believe me, we tested and tested to get ours to work right. Here's a link to our original post looking for help:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...er-226461.html

Just FYI - We haven't gotten Roxanne back from the service department yet or taken her out to try again. The dealer assures us it is now working correctly, but until we take her out again in April, we are at their mercy.

Good luck!
hlmmay05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:42 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpigott View Post
I have a mechanical question that I'm hoping the wonderful experts in this forum can help me with. I have a 2021 Caravel 22' with a Girard tankless water heater. This week was the first time I've taken, LJ the Airstream out for this year. The problem I'm having is that the water isn't getting to the target temp of 120 degrees. It isn't even getting past 100 degrees so my showers are not warm at all (at least not bone chilling cold but still cold). The kitchen sink is warmer than the bathroom sink but the shower won't even put out hot water (the water heater doesn't even come on when the shower is on.)
Try installing a flow restrictor at the shower head so the water spends more time in the heater.
hairyclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 03:21 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
I didn't know you could use the fresh water tank and the city water tank at the same time. I only use one or the other. Is there a benefit in running both at the same time?
Old 03-11-2022, 03:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpigott View Post
I didn't know you could use the fresh water tank and the city water tank at the same time. I only use one or the other. Is there a benefit in running both at the same time?

If you are somewhere with low water pressure, running the pump will give you a more normal flow. Helpful when showering.

Me, I just always run off the tank, refilling as necessary. The pump is shut off when we leave the trailer and when we are sleeping. That way, if something starts leaking, we don’t flood the trailer. We also have the exact same water flow every shower so you know just where to set the handle to get your preferred temperature…
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:08 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
We had the same problem on several occasions. The first was due to low water pressure from the campground. Once we switched back to the freshwater pump, it still seemed a little low. Adjusted the temperature to 120 and no issues since. We camped later last fall (<32 outside) and had no issues with hot water. Just had to run it a little longer. We also checked the water pump filter and shower head during the process. Hope this helps.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 06:20 PM   #11
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
Doesn't the Airstreams with the new Tankless Heaters have an anti-scalding/mixing device on them? If so, then removing the mixing value might solve this issue.

I had to remove the one they installed on our house that has a very large bath tub in the master bath. By the time my wife filled up the tub the water was cold. Uninstalled the mixing device and the temp went from 110 to 140. Since it is just my wife and I and we have no grandkids I feel we are safe. They installed these to protect the kids from burning themselves - at least that is what I was told by a plumber.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:47 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Wake Forest , North Carolina
I am currently experiencing the same. We set the water temp to 112 and the temp per the temperature gusher never reaches it. 19 degrees last night at 5000'in Utah. But at 4000 get same problem. We can restrict the flow significantly at the shower head, but we already have a super saver showerhead restricting the flow. None of the traps will get hot enough on our 2021 27' FC.

Someone said the tankless heater could only raise water temp 50 degrees. What is the source of that information?
27ftToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 08:16 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Hey Airstream!!!!

I just read through this thread. Sounds like people are attempting to use that worthless tankless water heater under normal ‘field’ conditions and it is failing. Cute idea, piece of junk. I’ve known of tankless water heaters since the ‘80’s. They were next to junk then, still are apparently. On paper they look great, but they NEVER hold up to real use by common people. Stop listening to your engineers and designers and listen to the people using the devices. You might be surprised.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:26 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Green Cove Springs , Florida
My Girard is retrofitted to an older trailer, but the issue is your flow rate at the shower blend valve. I already saw it recommended above, but set your water temp to about 110 and turn your shower to full HOT and then you can work the handle back slightly if it's too hot or readjust the thermostat. The shower valve in a position you would be used to having it at in your home flows both hot and cold, and the flow rate of the hot water is too low to trigger the water heater. And if you turn it up and then back it down to half, it may reduce the flow enough to shut it down. Pressure is not the problem. The flow rate has a minimum spec. We have had zero issues since and love our water heater.

IOW, set it to 110 (we use 108) and run shower on full hot.
RoverZac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
There is a flow control knob on the unit access it from inside. Play with the flow control
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
AGREE, just got a survey what company should we make a new designer trailer after. I said how about just trying to focus on getting a trailer out the door with quality parts that do not need modifications at home or three years of factory warranty visits to get it right
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 09:18 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
Thanks! I'll check that out.
Old 03-17-2022, 09:21 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
I tried the white flow knob and it didn't work. Shower was still cold (some heat but not enough to consider it warm). Didn't get above 92 degress.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:34 PM   #19
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Are you on a full tank of C3? I was told that when the auto valve switches over to the full tank it's at a reduced pressure and goes to full pressure when you manually switch to the full tank. Just an idea. What I get from these water heater threads is that the heater has a low flow shut down that fights with the shower antiscald device.
Old 03-30-2022, 05:29 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2021 22' Caravel
Manchaca , Texas
so i’m having this exact same problem. checked water pressure, LP, no bypass, etc. can’t get past 86. ambient is 71.

im beating my head trying to figure it out

21 caravel 22fb
spitcool is offline   Reply With Quote