Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Paradise , Alberta
Isolating hot water?

I have a 77 27' rear bath overland

My hot water heater is broken and leeks like crazy from the inside. While i wait for a new one is there any way i can pressure up just my cold water? can i isolate it?

I cant seem to figure this out, there is a valve off the hot side of the hot water heater. And two valves in the trunk that drain?

Any help appreciated,

thanks
GingerBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Check to see if the tank has a bypass. This is what you would use when winterizing at the end of the season.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Paradise , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
Check to see if the tank has a bypass. This is what you would use when winterizing at the end of the season.
Hi 3 Dog Nite

Yes it does have a bypass. It has 3 valves (one on a tee on the hot water outlet on the water heater, and two in the trunk)

From what ive read if i close all 3 valves then i could use the cold right? Why does water continue to come out of the water heater?

things that make you go.. hmmmm?
GingerBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerBeef View Post
Hi 3 Dog Nite

Yes it does have a bypass. It has 3 valves (one on a tee on the hot water outlet on the water heater, and two in the trunk)

From what ive read if i close all 3 valves then i could use the cold right? Why does water continue to come out of the water heater?

things that make you go.. hmmmm?
The bypass should close off the water heater entirely. If it's not, check the position of the valves (the two going to the tank should be closed, while the bypass pipe valve should be open). It's possible one or both of the valves for the tank is leaking, too...which would be annoying, but at least you figured it out now instead of when you were trying to winterize next time.

Also keep in mind the water heater could have up to 6 gallons of water in it, so it'll continue to drain for a while, depending on the size of your leak, even if there is no water going into it.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote