Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Household Tankless Water Heater for AS?

Hey guys. I am converting my AS to all electric, and the last thing that needs converted is my water heater. Most guys said the best option is a gas/electric one, which is fine and dandy, except they cost about $300... So I browsed around and found some household tankless water heaters. This seems like it would be an excellent option! Most are 110V, less than $200, and installation seems straight forward. Would this be a good choice?
Old 11-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Household water heaters are not approved for RV use.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
if you had said "gas water heater" I would strongly agree that the answer would not merely be "no", but "he-- no" for all the reasons historically and repeatedly discussed in these forums.

an electric water heater might be different than a gas water heater, and brings it's own set of issues.

electric usage will be the first issue. depending on the size of the heater, you could quickly chew up a large portion of the 120 VAC electrical capacity in your TT.

read the specs, and compare water + electrical capacity vs. usage. I'm thinking that, unless you're talking only enough water to wash your hands and some dishes, the numbers may not work for you.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Elliot/Barbara

Airstream - Other
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Fort Collins , Colorado
I have a 240V 50A tankless water heater I installed in my garage to wash the gunk off the car in the winter and it is barely adequate. I cannot imagine a 120V having enough capacity for a good shower. It might be OK with a low flow shower head, but just.
ElliotA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Not long after posting this, I realized my mistake. The "electric water heaters" I were looking at turned out to be "point-of-use". Meaning theyre made to be installed directly under a single sink, and nothing more. It wouldnt work on a whole house, or even a shower to boot. Disreguard this thread!
Old 11-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
A conventional tank type water heater will work on 120V 20A. You can get them up to 20gallons. It takes about 2 hrs for 20gal to heat up though. I used a 5 gallon electric water heater in college and it worked fine for trailer showers.

I looked at the tankless water heaters for the house and those things would suck the power. 100A at 220V which is half my 200A house service. I would have had to upgrade to a bigger house service to install one.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Wow a 20 gallon RV tank? Thatd be gobbs plenty!. I dont plan on using the shower unless the park doesnt have one. Im 6'2" and its... cramped. I tried to redesign the shower in my head but its impossible to do without blowing apart the whole trailer pretty well.

Back on subject: A 10 gallon would be fine since theyred be two of us using the shower. And I need to buy an electric/gas water heater. Anyone have a good site with a fairly cheap one?