Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2023, 03:43 PM   #1
Living Riveted

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Carnegie , Pennsylvania
Hot water panel

I have a 2014 19 foot Bambi flying cloud. Just got it out of storage and setting it up for the season. While in my driveway, used the propane to start the hot water heater so I could make sure I was getting hot water inside the trailer. When I passed by the hot water panel on the exterior of the trailer about 15 minutes later, I noticed it was very hot and turning black near the vent area (see photo). I also picked up a little of a burning smell, but it didnít concern me. Is there something I may have done to make this thing burn too hot? All I did was the same thing I do every year, which was to add new plumbers tape to the plastic plug, screw it in, and tighten it with a wrench, but not too tight. Since I thought it was getting too hot, I immediately turned off the hot water switch inside and turned off the propane tank. I let it cool for a minute, opened the panel door - everything looked normal inside. I turned the propane tank and the switch back on - it started right up that appears to be throwing out a lot of heat from the exterior vent panel. Not any black smoke, but heat. It was actually starting to make the airstream discolor above the vent (see photo). Is it possible itís just burning off stuff from sitting in storage for 8 months? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3411.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	547.4 KB
ID:	434316
Arnoldjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 03:57 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
Not an expert, but I just read about this on the RV Travel blog. You may have bees/wasps or other flying critters in there. I would investigate.
BGClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 04:03 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
FWIW, https://www.rvtravel.com/bees-propane-dont-happen-1113/.
BGClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 04:06 PM   #4
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Is that a new source of propane or a new fill on the tanks? Your propane may be a bit on the rich side but still in spec. It will dirty the jets and burn black. But at the same time if it has now stopped it very well could be some type flying insect as suggested. Get some bug screens for your furnace and water heater vents you can pick them up at Amazon

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2111.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	434317
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 04:23 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
Sorry to ask, but did you remember to fill the tank with water before turning it on

You would have had to turn on the water pump or attach to city water for a couple minutes with a faucet open to bleed the air out first.
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 09:31 PM   #6
Living Riveted

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Carnegie , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGClassic View Post

Wow, super helpful. No idea how to investigate without taking it to a service dealer or the mothership, and itís leaving for a multi week trip this week. Tomorrow Iím going to test and see if the same thing is happening when I plug the unit into shore power instead of using the propane. Not sure if that will make any difference, but thought I would test it. if itís doing the same thing, then will be having cold water only until we can get it in for service. The strange thing is that if something is in there, Iím not sure how it got in. The panel is never open, and the unit has sat in an underground limestone mine since it was last used Ė not a lot of bugs flying around in there ha ha.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:33 PM   #7
Living Riveted

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Carnegie , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO NOIZE View Post
Sorry to ask, but did you remember to fill the tank with water before turning it on

You would have had to turn on the water pump or attach to city water for a couple minutes with a faucet open to bleed the air out first.

Yea thank you, good question. I didnít connected to city water, but instead just used water from the tank via the pump. I can connect the hose to it tomorrow to replicate city water and see if that makes any difference. Also, I can make sure I run the faucets to bleed the air out. Great advice, thank you.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:35 PM   #8
Living Riveted

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Carnegie , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson428 View Post
Is that a new source of propane or a new fill on the tanks? Your propane may be a bit on the rich side but still in spec. It will dirty the jets and burn black. But at the same time if it has now stopped it very well could be some type flying insect as suggested. Get some bug screens for your furnace and water heater vents you can pick them up at Amazon

Attachment 434317

Great advice, thank you. The propane is definitely a couple years old Ė not sure if that has anything to do with it. I am going to try it the electric instead of propane tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:12 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Lewisville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnoldjeff View Post
Great advice, thank you. The propane is definitely a couple years old Ė not sure if that has anything to do with it. I am going to try it the electric instead of propane tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.
Please make sure the tank is full of water before trying the electric. If not, it could burn out the element.
Open the pop off valve while cold and under pressure to make sure.
Good luck.
NO NOIZE is offline   Reply With Quote