Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hanscom AFB , Massachusetts
Hot water heater question

My wife and I are the proud owners of a 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB. I'm confused about an aspect of the operation of the hot water heater.

In the bathroom, where the switches are for turning on the hot water heater, there are 2 switches: 1 for propane and 1 with a lightning bolt, which I believe is for electric operation. And the hot water heater manual I was given with the trailer seems to indicate that the hot water heater operates in 2 modes: gas & electric (electric if you are hooked to shore power--I presume similar to the refrigerator that operates off both electric while on shore power or propane while boondocking).

When I turn on the propane switch in the bathroom the hot water heater comes on immediately and the red indicator light comes on for a slit second (you can hear it burning the propane--it's loud!)

When I turn on just the electric switch, it does nothing. The light does not flicker on. I've left it on for up to 8 hours and it does not heat the water.

So either something is broken on my brand new trailer (first time ever using hot water heater!) or I've really misunderstood something about the operation of the hot water heater.

Can one of you more experienced folks give me a hand?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
easler7267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You are correct in operating the lightning bolt switch for electric. Check all of the breakers in your AC breaker panel and make sure none of them are tripped. In my 25 FB, the breaker panel is under the side of the bed facing the rear of the trailer. If all breakers are closed and you are not heating with the top of the switch pushed in, you have a warranty item to address.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
It seems like my '02 Classic had a secondary electric switch on the heater itself. The heater is under the bathroom sink in my unit. The red indicator light only works with propane to tell if the heater lights. If the red light stays on then the propane burner did not light. I think the red light flashes momentarily whenever the heater lights.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:28 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
You might want to turn the switch off for a bit and then turn it back on. That seemed to work for me. I also labelled my switches off and on. Off being down or switch pushed in on bottom. I think the location of these switches is in a very poor location. Being next to the light switch its easy to hit the wrong switch when turning on lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If the WH did not have sufficient water in it, turning on the electricity can burn the heater element out really quick. Let's hope it is only a breaker issue...!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
From under the counter you should be able to access the business side of the water heater. You will see the end of the electric element there and it should have 2 wires connected. First, make sure the wires have been connected and if not connect them and try it again. Second, remove the wires and using a multimeter do a continuity test to see if the element is good. If no continuity the element has burned out. Remove it and replace it yourself ( that is if your Airstream dealer is too far away) or take it back for them to look at it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
The lights only flash when turning on propane or electric. The tech doing our walk through said that AS doesn't document it but if you are hooked up to shore power you can also turn on the propane for faster hot water recovery.

If not a breaker then cwf may be right about turning on the electric before filling the hot water heater. Could have happened at the dealer during prep. When we picked up ours and doing the walk through, the batteries were dead as someone probably left the break-away brake plug out which will drain the batteries quickly so stuff happens.

Congratulations on your new AS!
NWRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #8

2017 28' Pendleton
Houston , Texas
How do you know when you have filled up the hot water heater? (new Airstream Pendleton). Got the hot water going but still would like to know the answer. I am on city water supply now. Does it automatically fill up the hot water heater?
RanchitaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
In order for the water heater to fill, you must bleed the air in the tank. To do this, open your faucets and showers to the hot position and let the water run until you get a smooth water flow with no gurgling or bubbles. To be more efficient, open the faucets and shower one at a time, starting with the one farthest from the water heater and working your way back. In my trailer that would be galley sink, shower, bathroom sink.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
So to clarify - the red light should be off during normal, safe operation.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
So to clarify - the red light should be off during normal, safe operation.
That is correct.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Minor hijack. What board do I need for a 2017 FC?
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:19 PM   #13
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too tall View Post
Minor hijack. What board do I need for a 2017 FC?

I don't know which one but if you need a new board, it seems the best bet is to replace with one made by Dinosaur. They have get great reviews and seem to finally end the problems for people that have been having problems with their water heaters. Seems to be luck of the draw.

https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Ignitor_boards.htm
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote