Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Flagstaff , Arizona
Hot Water Heater Gas Valve

I am replacing my hot water heater gas valve on my 1967 Trade Wind. Does anyone know if the Atwood 91602 is the right replacement valve? Also, does anyone know where to find the main burner assembly or something similar that can be modified to work? One final question. Does anyone know where to find a replacement access compartment door for the heater valve assembly? Thanks!
jbobarino3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Is there a reason your trying to save your old heater? It makes more sense to replace it with a new unit. By the time you buy all those parts and put them in, it will be more cost effective to replace the whole unit.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Flagstaff , Arizona
Good question. I don't know. I have no idea what model I currently have. Do you have a recommendation for a new replacement? Thanks!
jbobarino3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Can you post a pic?
Atwood 6 gallon water heaters sell for less than $300. These are "pilot" models. No electronics required.
You coach may have had a Bowen WH which is the easily replaced with an Atwood.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I replaced my Atwood WH LP valve with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The seller and Atwood both confirmed it was the correct part and it was simple job. Contact the seller/atwood directly if any question instead of those of us who may not have the same heater, IMO.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Hot Water Heater Gas Valve

To replace the tank measure the old opening. Then buy the size that fit it the best. I think the Atwood's would fit. You may have to trim the opening a little to make it slightly larger. Easier than patching it back to make it smaller. They sit on the floor of the trailer. Repiping is easy.

I would never start replacing parts on an old heater. Unless I knew that that was the only thing wrong. Because as soon as you do something else goes and before you know it your $500 in and have spent a ton of time on it. And at the end of the day it's still an old heater that could spring a leak.

You can also recover some cost buy selling the old cover in the classified.