Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2021, 05:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Fredericksburg , Texas
Question Hot Water Heater Drain Spigot - “Dripping”

Looking for thoughts, maintenance tips or concerns on “external” hot water heater drain spigot “dripping” when I have I’m heating water via propane?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	397278  
Lhenry83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
When mine did that, I shut off the water heater and then let it cool off. Then I would open the valve and let it run briefly and release the tab. Seems like the water flow clears whatever was keeping the valve from seating completely and letting it snap shut probably helps.

Was it the official procedure? Probably not, but it worked.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
That's not a drain spigot, it's you TPR (temperature-pressure-relief) valve. They get crudded up. If rinsing it out as described doesn't work it is simple enough to replace and available at any hardware store, I put a new one in mine when I flushed the tank just because it was almost 10 years old.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Turn off water pressure either city or pump. Turn off heater element either gas or electric.

Take funnel to direct water away from stuff and pull the pressure relief valve. This should let water out under pressure so be careful it will be hot. Once it’s stops running, flip it open and closed a few times to help it seat.

Hopefully that solves the problem if not you may need to replace the overflow valve. Available any hardware store.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:03 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
Those water heaters are made to have a head of air on them. When it goes away, it can make the pop off leak.

Opening the valve as described before will help.
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:12 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
North Augusta , South Carolina
When I turn my water heater on and then don’t use it within 30 mins to an hour, it will drip like that. I think it’s just the increase in pressure from the heat. Once I use some hot water it stops dripping.
saraed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Change it for new one. It could be that the propane is set hot and it builds up pressure and needs to pop. Especially if it does not leak when on electric. But changing it out is a good starting point for trouble shooting. Cheap and easy to do first.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:49 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Fredericksburg , Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
That's not a drain spigot, it's you TPR (temperature-pressure-relief) valve. They get crudded up. If rinsing it out as described doesn't work it is simple enough to replace and available at any hardware store, I put a new one in mine when I flushed the tank just because it was almost 10 years old.
Thanks for the official term!!! I will look at Ace Hardware the next time I’m in. Mine is a 2019 Globetrotter so, it should be good for another year or so.
Lhenry83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:26 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Bullhead City , Arizona
It could be dripping due to mineral deposits and can be cleaned or replaced as others have said above. Just like your home water heater, the hot water expands and typically there is an expansion tank installed to give this expansion a place to go. I installed an accumulator and filled the air pressure to match my water pump pressure and have not had a problem with dripping for the past several years. It also smoothes out the water flow and prevents water hammer when the pump or faucet closes quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Reno Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhenry83 View Post
Thanks for the official term!!! I will look at Ace Hardware the next time I’m in. Mine is a 2019 Globetrotter so, it should be good for another year or so.
Best to take the old one with you as they have different lengths of temperature rods
Old 06-13-2021, 03:51 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
harrisburg , Missouri
Its a temperature and pressure relief, probably needs replaced, but first make sure what your incoming water pressure is. If your pressure is high, 90 plus, and then you heat the water, it is going to leak because that is what it is designed to do. Just make sure you have a good regulator on your incoming water.
a duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
T , Ontario
Internal Air cushion above water level

The pressure relief valve can drip if the air cushion above water level inside the heater is lost (as someone else pointed out). Turn the water heater off, let it cool, open the drain plug to let a bit of water out, restoring the volume of required air space. No parts to replace, no money expended if that’s the only issue. Worth a try. Happened to us once or twice on this trailer (2017 FC) and a few times on our old Jayco fifth wheel (also with an Atwood water heater). Sometimes you can get away with turning off the city water, if connected, and the water pump, and just running a hot water tap for a bit to reduce the volume of water in the tank.
drobert33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerman View Post
Those water heaters are made to have a head of air on them. When it goes away, it can make the pop off leak.

Opening the valve as described before will help.
This seems to be exactly what just happened with mine, for anyone who may have the same problem.

I had the water heater on, not hooked up to city water but accessing my holding tanks, and suddenly I could hear the pump running/cycling.

I quickly determined water was coming at a good clip out of that relief valve, so ran some hot water into the sink and then pulled the release valve to let a good bit of water out.

Somewhere in there I closed off the water flow to the water heater, which had no effect so I opened it back up.

But, after releasing maybe a cup or two of water thru the relief valve, the pump stopped cycling and the leaking from this valve has stopped.

I’m proud of myself for troubleshooting and (apparently) getting it resolved, but I’m not at all sure what exactly I corrected.

The quoted post seems the most likely, but any thoughts and feedback are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Maggie