Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2021, 09:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

some town , PA
Hot water for only a few seconds? Why??!?

We just dewinterized our 2020 Flying Cloud FBB model and are on our first camping trip of the year in Pennsylvania. Everything is going great except for our hot water situation. The hot water heater seems to be working fine except that after a few seconds of hot water it goes cold. We get this same behavior from the bathroom and kitchen sinks as well as the shower.

When I check the pressure release in the hot water heater it seems to be full of very hot water.

So why is the hot water not making it's way to our shower/faucets after a few seconds???

Thanks!!
philly_air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:28 AM   #2
RCC
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Rogersville , Missouri
If your water heater has a mixing valve on it, it is likely that the fine screen filtering the water as it leaves the hot water tank and enters the valve is clogged with debris from the tank. If you can easily get to the valve it is not too difficult to remove it and clean off the screen. Tools needed: 8-10” crescent type wrench and pipe thread sealing tape.

See other posts about the mixing valve and pictures of it.
RCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Same problem here with my 2020 International. I’ll clean out my mixing valve this morning and I’ll report back.

Does anyone know what socket size is required for the nylon water heater drain plug?

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Same problem here with my 2020 International. I’ll clean out my mixing valve this morning and I’ll report back.

Does anyone know what socket size is required for the nylon water heater drain plug?
I have had a drain plug that was 3/4", and I currently have one that is 13/16".
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks. I’ve been looking online and it appears that some are 15/16” also.

Unfortunately I’ve only got deep sockets in my Airstream toolbox in the larger diameters. I couldn’t get my deep 13/16” into the tight space. I’ll head out to the store this morning to pick up an assortment of standard sockets.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 03-27-2021, 08:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Thanks. I’ve been looking online and it appears that some are 15/16” also.

Unfortunately I’ve only got deep sockets in my Airstream toolbox in the larger diameters. I couldn’t get my deep 13/16” into the tight space. I’ll head out to the store this morning to pick up an assortment of standard sockets.
BEFORE you do anything make sure the hot water tank is empty and there is no pressure in the system. Also make sure the bypass valve is in the on position.

The best thing to get is a small pipe wrench to take off and put on the mixing valve. This is a very common occurrence. I've had to do it twice with my 2017.
1) Disconnect all the hoses to the mixing valve. Make sure you have towels to clean up water.
2) Take off present mixing valve and soak it in white vinegar for a couple of hours. Often a residue builds up on the sensor and it looses it's ability to sense the water temperature and just shuts off the hot water. It may take a little bit of muscle to get the valve off.
3) it could come out in two parts, but you have to get the fitting that has the screens out of the water heater. It's not very big, but it generally doesn't come off with the valve itself.
4) Blow out the valve on both sides. I use my air compressor.

Reassemble and make sure you use sealant around all fittings. It is going to take some muscle to put the valves back on and you want to make sure the valve is as you took it off or the other hose fittings won't fit right and will leak.

Suggestion:
1) Get a water softener to prevent some of the build up.
2) Get another mixing valve as a back up in case this happens on the road.
3) Keep white vinegar available.
4) Probably do this every year as part of regular maintenance. Hassle.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
I had exactly the same problem. I tried to remove the mixing valve while we were camping but didn't have a tool that would make it budge. After I got home, I rinsed the water heater tank with a wand attachment to a hose and the problem went away. I think it was likely the screen into the mixing valve that clogged and I cleared it.

My theory on the cause was that I winterized with air pressure and that pushed debris into the screen. My trailer wasn't even a year old and used only occasionally, but it still happened. Next time I winterize with compressed air, I am going to close the inlet valve into the water heater so that compressed air does not get into the tank.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Would CLR work better than white vinegar?

I’ll be doing this repair in a campground.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 03-27-2021, 09:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I wouldn’t put CLR in my fresh water system. Vinegar is in your salad...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Would CLR work better than white vinegar?

I’ll be doing this repair in a campground.
White vinegar is what the people at Atwood told me to do. And I agree it smells like you are pickling, but it is harmless stuff.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:58 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
On demand water heater or tank? The on demand require constant usage to produce hot water, and many of the newer Airstreams have that type of water heater. The tank type heat up the entire tank (gas or electric or both!) so you can turn it off and on and still get hot water.

The secret is to let the hot water from the tankless water heater "dribble" so it keeps heating while you are using it. It isn't as solid conservationally, but should work for situation where you have sewer hook ups and plenty of water available.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:05 AM   #12
Icy
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Sarnia , Ontario
Check the hot water bypass valve, I forgot to turn it off last year. Hot water valve in and out on. Bypass off.
Pete
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Thanks so much to everyone for the information and tips! The project is complete and the water heater is heating up now for the final test. I can already see dramatically improved water pressure on the hot side. The screen in the mixing valve was completely packed with gunk. It’s all clear now!

I appreciate the knowledge and the willingness to help on these forums. Your advice turned a bad situation at the start of a trip into a minor inconvenience and a learning experience for me.

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 03-27-2021, 11:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Just took a hot shower.

Great success!

Past:
Newmar Ventana 3715
Old 04-05-2021, 09:58 AM   #15
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_air View Post
We just dewinterized our 2020 Flying Cloud FBB model and are on our first camping trip of the year in Pennsylvania. Everything is going great except for our hot water situation. The hot water heater seems to be working fine except that after a few seconds of hot water it goes cold. We get this same behavior from the bathroom and kitchen sinks as well as the shower.

When I check the pressure release in the hot water heater it seems to be full of very hot water.

So why is the hot water not making it's way to our shower/faucets after a few seconds???

Thanks!!
Hi philly_air,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 04-06-2021, 03:39 AM   #16
Icy
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Sport
Sarnia , Ontario
Check to make sure your hot water bypass valve is closed. Water in and out open and bypass closed. Did it last year, drove me nuts.
Pete
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:55 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Prineville , Oregon
I am a geezer and new to this "forum" stuff so if I am out of line, please be gentle.

Problem: 2014 Interstate purchased last spring. Atwood hot water heater heats just fine. When we turn on hot water in the unit, it runs hot for about 10 seconds then goes cold. Last spring I removed the hot water thermal mixing valve, cleaned it and soaked it in vinegar. The rig spent several weeks at the Airstream folks up in Portland, OR and they said the water heater works fine, but the problem still exists. I suspect they did not run the water long enough to feel it go back cold or tepid. Does this valve need to be replaced? it is not a difficult task after removing the bench seat.
I appreciate any advice or insights.
Walt
Walt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:27 PM   #18
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Hot water for only a few seconds? Why??!?

Assuming this is not isolated to your shower…..

It most certainly sounds like it’s time to replace the mixing valve. They are about $100. Sounds like you already know how to get at it / remove.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:08 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Prineville , Oregon
Thank you Wulfraat,

Nope, it is not limited to the shower! I already ordered the mixing valve with the intentions of just swapping out things until it works! -- Remember, I'm a geezer and radios used to have tubes in them!

Walt
Walt B is offline   Reply With Quote