Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #41
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
If you use the winterizing kit to put the mixture in to the water heater.
Make sure the WH is empty and the drain valve is in place.
Set 3 gallons of vinegar and 3 gallons of water where you can pump the 6 gallons into the WH. Using the winterizing suction tube

Open only the closest hot water faucet to the WH.
Make sure you are not in the winterizing mode with the valve(s) at the WH.
Start the pump. Run it until you see water flowing steadily out of the hot water faucet.
Let the mixture set.
When ready to flush.
Drain the WH.
Reinstall the drain plug.
Switch the winterizing valve at the pump to the house water position.
If city water is available wait to install the plug and flush the tank using city water.
Once the tank is flushed. Open the valve and flush what little mixture remains in the pipes.
You should be good to go.
Oh! Close the faucet and shut the pump off.

I do pretty much the same, but just open the pressure relief valve instead of the nearest water tap. Little vinegar gets into the lines.

BTW, it's a good idea to either open the pressure valve or a faucet before draining the vinegar solution. The vinegar and scale can cause a pressure build up... Ask me how I know.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:09 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
Mill Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
I would think a vinegar rinse, followed by fresh water rinsing, would make a lot of sense, but I have never heard of anyone doing it. Maybe someone will speak up. I know that I do an annual citric acid cleanse of my Rinnai at home, because the manual recommends doing so.

Larry
The Atwood heater user guide actually recommends vinegar rinse to clear out the scale and remove any rotten egg smell caused by hard water boiling in the tank. It says if you use the heater regularly, you should rinse with white vinegar every 3-4 months. I just tried this and was amazed at how bubbly the hot water was coming out of the tap.
goodlux is offline   Reply With Quote