Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
HELP save our marriage.

Well....after 38 years our marriage IS quite secure. That is because we each try to keep each other happy. Lynn, is happy camping when she can have a hot shower. The burner on our '66 TradeWind Bowen water heater has crumbled . I plan on a new heater......at the end of this year, AFTER camping season. In the meantime do any of you have a burner.....any ole working one that will fit for now? I would be willing to pay almost nothing for it. I have tried Atwood, "Man, you got a dinosaur." a salvage yard, "Ain't seen one of those in 30 years." a RV appliance store, "Good Luck." So I have tried. Please help keep our wonderful marriage going. I want, Lynn, to be happy.

Neil and Lynn,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowen Burner 003.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	38745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water heater Burner 001.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	38746  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowen Burner 004.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	38747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowen Burner 005.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	38748  

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Neil, good luck. Mine got replaced a few months ago.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Neil,

In order to save a marriage (whipped) I'll volunteer any parts you want off mine if you think they will fit. And, I'm willing to do almost nothing to get them out and get them to you.

If you think parts from a 71 Overlander will help you - you can have any you want. It's a 10 gallon - kinda rusty and the flint spark ignitor is shot. It was on my early list to replace this year but has been pushed back since I just realized, taking it out means I have to take the rub rail loose - not something I relish doing. The tank is cracked somewhere.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Neil,

In order to save a marriage (whipped) I'll volunteer any parts you want off mine if you think they will fit. And, I'm willing to do almost nothing to get them out and get them to you.

If you think parts from a 71 Overlander will help you - you can have any you want. It's a 10 gallon - kinda rusty and the flint spark ignitor is shot. It was on my early list to replace this year but has been pushed back since I just realized, taking it out means I have to take the rub rail loose - not something I relish doing. The tank is cracked somewhere.
All I would need is the burner. It is the rusty thing in the picture. My tank is fine. I hope it will make it through this summer/fall. If your burner looks like mine just let me know. I don't know if it will fit. I will wait first to see if someone has one just like mine. Looks like I will be looking up how to adapt a new water heater into my trailer next.

Thanks,
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 06-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
When we go camping in Forest Service campgrounds with no hook ups for a week, water is a special problem in our small trailer. I also enjoy camping more with hot showers...

I bought several Sun Showers, that heat water for showers and dish washing with energy from the sun. I suspend the Sun Shower in our Airstream shower, and use campground water to my heart's content.

The reason for this is I don't trust NFS water entirely - had a run in with Giardia in my back packing days, and never want to repeat that experience. So I sanitize the fresh water tank and use that 'safe' water from home for drinking and cooking.

This is probably not your ideal solution, but it's another option to consider to get through the season - and it's a good back up to take along anytime, in case your water heater ever goes down in the middle of a camping trip.
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM16CCD
When we go camping in Forest Service campgrounds with no hook ups for a week, water is a special problem in our small trailer. I also enjoy camping more with hot showers...

I bought several Sun Showers, that heat water for showers and dish washing with energy from the sun. I suspend the Sun Shower in our Airstream shower, and use campground water to my heart's content.

The reason for this is I don't trust NFS water entirely - had a run in with Giardia in my back packing days, and never want to repeat that experience. So I sanitize the fresh water tank and use that 'safe' water from home for drinking and cooking.

This is probably not your ideal solution, but it's another option to consider to get through the season - and it's a good back up to take along anytime, in case your water heater ever goes down in the middle of a camping trip.
By Golly I forgot that I have a couple of those from our pop-up days. They (2 I think) are packed up in the storage shed....way in the back....on the bottom. If we have to......

Neil nd Lynn
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 06-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Neil,

Didn't forget you. Looked at what we have and it doesn't look like yours. I dread the job of removing and replacing a hot water tank. Good luck to you....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Neil,

Didn't forget you. Looked at what we have and it doesn't look like yours. I dread the job of removing and replacing a hot water tank. Good luck to you....
Thank you for checking....and to you others for your imput. However, the white flag is up. I am looking for the best deal on a 6 gal. Atwood. I went to the local RV parts guy and he showed me what the models are and some tips on installation. His prices are high but I have spent some money there but I am looking online. I am trying to decide now if the electronic ignition from inside the coach is worth the extra $100 +. I have asked a friend who replaced his last year and he said he has never had a problem with the 'go outside and light the pilot' routine. The only problem I have with that is holding a red button in for a minute or two. I don't like leaving a pilot on in the hours that hot water is not needed. Any opinions? Golly, I didn't have a shower in our pop-up! Shower time meant a dip in the lake or a plastic sun warmed bladder hanging from a tree branch. But that was 10-12 years ago and 4 surgeries. I guess I should be gratefull that this water heater delima is my only concern these days. Well............maybe not......

Thanks Good Friends,
Neil.......and Lynn
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 06-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I felt like the electric start upgrade was worth it.
If you don't want to run the heater all day, flip the switch off. When you want it back on, flip it on. No standing in the rain waiting for the thermocouple to heat...maybe I'm lazy.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I use a propane water heater for tent campers sold at many camping stores. It all stores in a plastic ammo box looking container. It comes with a water pump that circulates the water through a burner/tubing section and out a shower head. Usea propane for fuel. You recirculate the water several times in the holding tank to slowly raise the water temp up about 5 degrees per pass - when the water is hot enough you wash with it. Could get you through the season, worked well for me. Costs about $80 - but out in the boonies elk hunting - it saved friendships............. we alll had to sleep in one tent.....
Attached Images

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote