Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2023, 07:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Girard on-demand just stopped working

I have propane, great water pressure, and power. During a shower, the water heater just stopped producing hot water. I have attempted turning on and off by both the controller and unit switch.

When I turn on hot water, the controller does not illuminate, or sense any water flow. No error code

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 03-25-2023, 08:56 PM   #2
2022 FC 23CB

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Chandler , Arizona
I’m reluctant to ask, because I know you did, but did you check the fuses?

Our water heater stopped working during a trip, and the service center diagnosed it as a pinched propane line to the water heater. Honestly, I didn’t ask any further questions because it was our 1st or 2nd trip with the new trailer, and I just figured in was a mistake in initial manufacturing.
ScottnAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 09:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
After removing and reinstalling the flow sensor, the water heater briefly showed flow on the controller with no/failed flame ignition. I turned the faucet off, then back on again without the flow turning on the controller. I once again, removed and re-installed the flow sensor. I then opened the faucet with success, water flow turned on the controller with flame ignition and hot water. I turned off the faucet and opened back up with another successful ignition. Does it sound like i have a bad flow sensor? Do electronic flow sensors stick?
Old 03-26-2023, 06:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
After removing and reinstalling the flow sensor, the water heater briefly showed flow on the controller with no/failed flame ignition. I turned the faucet off, then back on again without the flow turning on the controller. I once again, removed and re-installed the flow sensor. I then opened the faucet with success, water flow turned on the controller with flame ignition and hot water. I turned off the faucet and opened back up with another successful ignition. Does it sound like i have a bad flow sensor? Do electronic flow sensors stick?
Sure sounds like it's the flow sensor. In the manual, it says "if the flow meter fails it will not generate a fault code. The water heater will simply not turn on."

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...e%20Manual.pdf

I could see how the fins/impeller could get blocked/restricted by debris or maybe hard water deposits. Perhaps your removal/reinstallation freed things up? Maybe a soak in vinegar would get things back to normal?
Tyler2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler2you View Post
Sure sounds like it's the flow sensor. In the manual, it says "if the flow meter fails it will not generate a fault code. The water heater will simply not turn on."

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...e%20Manual.pdf

I could see how the fins/impeller could get blocked/restricted by debris or maybe hard water deposits. Perhaps your removal/reinstallation freed things up? Maybe a soak in vinegar would get things back to normal?
I didn’t remove anything with an impeller. I unscrewed an electronic sensor from the surface of the flow sensor body. I think it’s an electromagnetic flow sensor. I’ll call Monday to verify.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
I didn’t remove anything with an impeller. I unscrewed an electronic sensor from the surface of the flow sensor body. I think it’s an electromagnetic flow sensor.
Gotcha. That must be the "reed switch" they refer to in the manual that's mounted to the side of the flow meter and senses the rotation of the impeller.

So, it sounds like either the reed switch is intermittent/faulty or during the removal/reinstallation, the movement freed up something inside the body of the flow meter.

Just checked the manual again and it looks like there is a voltage test you can perform on the meter to verify it's working properly. But, it sounds like you may want to have a spare on-hand in the event it fails again.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Thanks Tyler! I must be missing that manual. All I have is the manual with all of the codes listed under troubleshooting, which as you already mentioned, doesn’t show a code if it’s the flow sensor.
Old 03-26-2023, 08:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Glad it helped! It's actually one of the best troubleshooting manuals I've come across for any of the AS systems. Not sure why they didn't include it, but I'd recommend that anyone with one of the Girards print a copy to have in the trailer.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:24 AM   #9
BoatnutG2

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2023 23' Flying Cloud
2013 Interstate Coach
Huntington Beach , California
Has anybody installed a recirculating pump to preheat the hot water line before taking a shower?
BoatNutG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:19 AM   #10
Rivet Master

North AL , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatNutG2 View Post
Has anybody installed a recirculating pump to preheat the hot water line before taking a shower?
If you search for Showermiser, you'll come across many threads like this one:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...er-229422.html
Old 03-26-2023, 01:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Yea

It’s called replace it with a Truma unit when you save up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatNutG2 View Post
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 03:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
LOL, yeah. That's the path we took. The Truma tankless has a built in hot water buffer tank (yeah, it's a tankless heater that has a tank :-)). The Truma has a recirculation pump to pre-heat the small buffer tank (it holds around a liter or so).

Due to the existence of the pre-heated hot water tank, you can trickle hot water out of any faucet because there is effectively no minimum flow required in order to activate the tankless function since hot water is initially served from the small buffer tank. Once the buffer tank begins mix in cold water to replace what you are using, it triggers the recirculation pump and the tankless heating function again to warm up the contents of the hot water buffer tank.

A Truma is well worth putting a penny jar on the table and saving up to get one. The cost is around $2K to have an authorized installer put one in for you. It's nearly a drop in replacement for the Girard.
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Saving up

I’m halfway there. For April fools day my wife wants to post Girad has been fixed no more cold and show off here new wet suit !

Thanks for your feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
LOL, yeah. That's the path we took. The Truma tankless has a built in hot water buffer tank (yeah, it's a tankless heater that has a tank :-)). The Truma has a recirculation pump to pre-heat the small buffer tank (it holds around a liter or so).

Due to the existence of the pre-heated hot water tank, you can trickle hot water out of any faucet because there is effectively no minimum flow required in order to activate the tankless function since hot water is initially served from the small buffer tank. Once the buffer tank begins mix in cold water to replace what you are using, it triggers the recirculation pump and the tankless heating function again to warm up the contents of the hot water buffer tank.

A Truma is well worth putting a penny jar on the table and saving up to get one. The cost is around $2K to have an authorized installer put one in for you. It's nearly a drop in replacement for the Girard.
Old 04-02-2023, 11:37 AM   #14

2021 27' Globetrotter
Rogers City , Michigan

We just did this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
We had our Girard “on demand” (in theory) replaced on this last Friday at the Truma Service Center in Elkhart. I LOVE this new Aqua Go. It’s responsive, steady temp, and most importantly for us, MUCH more efficient on water usage. No water wasted as it was in the past trying to get the Girard to first recognize the call for hot water, second deliver the hot water, and then repeat.

Service at Truma was awesome too. And very accommodating.

I do not understand why these aren’t OEM for Airstreams.
Tankstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 03:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Girard

Response to comment “don’t understand why Truma is not OEM in Airstreams”. Easy answer: Girard is owned by THOR.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Thanks for that update, did the replace the Girard control in the bathroom with the Truma. I was wondering if it covered the original install by Airstream
Old 11-18-2023, 01:09 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
1976 Argosy 28
1972 Argosy 24
Chico , California
I wanted to add my experience here as I had the same issue and a hard time troubleshooting. Middle of a shower last night and the hot water stops. We have a Truman in our 2006 International CCD 28'. Checked all breakers this morning, plenty of gas, unplugged wires and killed all power for 5 minutes. Nothing worked. Many threads said "my wife hit..." Which killed the heater. Light bulb moment when I realized my wife was in the bathroom, in there is a water heater switch next to the light switch. Turned it back on and back in business! I do wonder why that switch is in there? What was the OEM heater for the 75th Anniversary CCD?
twilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 08:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Response to comment “don’t understand why Truma is not OEM in Airstreams”. Easy answer: Girard is owned by THOR.
Which also translates to a lower production costs. Many of us are not bothered by the Girard at all. An option for the Truma would be nice.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 09:31 AM   #19
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Girard is owned by Lippert.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote