Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2017, 09:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2006 19' Safari SE
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Fog horn noise when H20 pumps run

I have a 2015 25' Flying Cloud. And when you run the water pump there is this fog horn sound for a short time. It's not there the entire time the pump runs. Any thoughts? Anyone else have this issue?
thanks!!
KellyRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Is this occurring after dewinterizing the plumbing system? Did you winterize by using compressed air to blow out water?

Does it happen when you first turn on a faucet or when turning off a faucet?

Does it occur on just opening either the cold or hot water faucet?

Kelvin
Old 04-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
At low flow the pump will cycle on and off on and off .... thus making the fog horn sound . This is normal , just open the spigot a bit more and the pump will run continuously.
But to conserve water let the fog horn blow .

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:20 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2006 19' Safari SE
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I have not winterize the trailer myself and don't know the history of winterizing. My guess is it's never been winterized. The noise happens when you turn on the pump. and both cold and hot water.
Thanks!!
KellyRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:04 AM   #5
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
I installed a three-way winterizing valve on the suction of my water pump, and it resulted in a fog horn sound from the pump and also vibration each time the water was turned on. The cause was the valve not sealing properly, thus allowing the pump to draw air when operating. If your condition is similar the problem may be a loose fitting on the upstream or suction side of the water pump (between the pump and the fresh water tank)

Don
Old 04-04-2017, 04:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Don may be on to something -- air in the line between the water tank and the pump. I would check all connections on the suction side of the pump. Since you have never winterized, this will require finding the pump, and taking apart the filter assembly, cleaning the filter (which may have clogging material trapped in it), and re-assembling everything. Examine any O-rings and seals in the connections. [edit -- see PS below]

Leave the pump visible and turn it on, then open all your faucets and shower valves (incl. exterior), until you get clean water flow from everywhere. When you turn off all the faucets, but leave the pump on, the system should stabilize without the pump turning on again for a long time.

If the pump kicks in again soon (1-2 minutes), you may have a leak someplace which you will have to diagnose. Probably not a part of your fog horn problem, but worth checking out.

Check all the connections you re-did at the pump. There should be no drips.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- Fill the water tank before you start this process! Even if you use city water, you should use an inline water filter [like the Camco blue ones] to get rid of particulate matter which can clog the pump's filter. Also, plastic debris from the manufacturing process can clog the filter. If no one has ever winterized, you may find the filter clogged with all kinds of interesting material!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyRice View Post
I have not winterize the trailer myself and don't know the history of winterizing. My guess is it's never been winterized. The noise happens when you turn on the pump. and both cold and hot water.
Thanks!!

KellyRice what caught my attention is the winterization history or lack of. I would suggest reading your manual and searching this forum re winterizing. I'm just down I-5 and believe the recent Portland winter was colder than Eugene's and Eugene's December turned our FC into an ice cube. You didn't mention how you store the TT, how long you have owned the unit but if you bought it from a dealer, they should be able to give you some history of winterization.

Separate from the noise issue, I would follow Peter's advice to determine quickly if any fittings have frozen and failed. Leakage may not be immediately apparent so look under the sinks and the pump house and low point drains after your are pressured up. The water will eventually find it's way to the ground so leave it pressured up on city water/or pump on for awhile.

There are also some threads re pump noise which I'll forward if I can locate them. Noise is often the result of vibration being transferred to the floor from the pump itself or the supply lines. I've dealt with the pump house vibrations but continue to have some shudder, that I believe is coming from under the shower, which means I'll live with it.

Good Luck.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
KellyRice

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...ms+-+Emails%29

here is the only winterization thread I have saved. I'm sure a forums search will produce many more. I have a checklist that I follow when using air pressure to blow out the lines. PM me if you would like a copy.

re pump noise

here are a few that I had saved. Again, I'm sure more in a forums search will surface. IMO pump noise can often be somewhat (greatly) mitigated but only on rare occasions 100% eliminated.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...ml#post1772078 post 684

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...-139285-2.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...ml#post1752420 post 539+/-

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...ml#post1772077

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:41 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
Same Year, Same Problem

We also have a 2015 FC that we bought new. Never been winterized and makes the sound described above. We took it back to the dealer and they replaced the pump. No change. They were perplexed as well so we tried several other units in the shop. Many - but not all - made this sound, including a late model Classic.

We've looked at this forum for ideas to eliminate the noise (there are some thoughts that have merit) but for now we'll live with it. The pump in our 2003 SOB was far quieter so eventually we do plan to replace it.
mpbiagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbiagi View Post
We also have a 2015 FC that we bought new. Never been winterized and makes the sound described above. We took it back to the dealer and they replaced the pump. No change. They were perplexed as well so we tried several other units in the shop. Many - but not all - made this sound, including a late model Classic.

We've looked at this forum for ideas to eliminate the noise (there are some thoughts that have merit) but for now we'll live with it. The pump in our 2003 SOB was far quieter so eventually we do plan to replace it.
Welcome to the forum! Are you sure that the filter between the water tank and the pump is free of debris?
Old 04-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyRice View Post
Thanks!!
Wondering if you have had a chance to try some of the suggestions given here?