Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
Flush Mount or Surface Mount

I have decided to fork out the extra $ and buy an RV500 tankless water heater. I have seen the threads regarding the pros and cons of this setup. There are quite a few threads out there, however, the ones that I wanted to post on won't let me (shows the page as unloadable or something like that when I hit "post reply" or even try and look at the last page of postings).

I have seen Lewster's photos of the surface mount RV 500 (looks great by the way). However, I am wondering if anyone has any photos of a flush mount RV 500 setup? If you don't have photos, but have installed one, how hard is it to install compared to the surface mount version?

Thanks in advance.
Skycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
New Braunfels , Texas
If it makes any difference, we have the orig. Bowen water heater installed (with the huge aluminum vent on the exterior) that we will be replacing.
Skycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Skycop,

When I initially bought the unit from PT, I had a very long conversation with Fred and he told me at that time that the surface mount would not work well with an Airstream. He didn't elaborate and I never questioned his recommendation, as they are the manufacturers.

Have fun with the install.......it's not rocket science!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycop
There are quite a few threads out there, however, the ones that I wanted to post on won't let me (shows the page as unloadable or something like that when I hit "post reply" or even try and look at the last page of postings).
Hi Skycop. I can't access the last page or post to the http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ter-26206.html thread either. Please click my username to the left and send me a private message with links if you found others. I've seen this rarely and it'll have to be referred "upstairs."

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
When I had the new heater installed, I used the local Airstream Dealer for the service. I wanted to put in the tankless heater and they talked me out of it. They said the venting, size, amount of heat etc....would not work for my particular coach. I went with the traditional heater and two of us have showered, done dishes at the same time etc....and it has kept up fine.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialma
When I had the new heater installed, I used the local Airstream Dealer for the service. I wanted to put in the tankless heater and they talked me out of it. They said the venting, size, amount of heat etc....would not work for my particular coach. I went with the traditional heater and two of us have showered, done dishes at the same time etc....and it has kept up fine.
Steve,

I'm glad that you are happy with your conventional water heater, but IMHO, your dealer either was not familiar enough with the RV-500, or just wanted to sell you what they had. There are NO venting problems, as the unit intakes combustion air and vents exhaust air thru the outer door......just like any conventional water heater. It would work fine in your unit, just as it will in virtually any RV out there with a standard water heater.

I just wish there was less BS being spewed by dealers to promote their own self-serving interests!
Old 01-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
rv500

I tossed and turned thinking about switching to the rv500. I finally decided to go for it and I spoke with Fred at PrecisionTemp. I got my heater and just a few days ago began to remove the old hot water heater.
It was easier to remove the old heater than I had anticipated. Boy am I glad I decided to do this. It appears that the old tank had corrosion problems and had been leaking for quite a while, as the floor under it was completely rotted and collapsed into the belly pan. Thankfully, the rot was contained to just under the heater. I had to cut approx 2" of the alluminum side wall to allow for the rv500 to fit. It fits like a glove...

My question is how do I take the water lines apart? I need to run the water from the spool to the pressure regulator in a different configuration, but the lines are grey and are connected together with some kind of ring/clamp. I tried to use a pair of channel locks to work them apart but only frustrated myself. Is there a special crimper tool? I'd appreciate any help...

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
Wagon Master

water pipe

It is most likely PolyB plumbing. You need a special crimper home depot, etc will rent you one. And you will need some ends co you can connect to your existing plumbing. you will "T" onto your COLD and conect that to your COLD IN on the heater and HOT OUT will "T" back into you HOT lines. If you already have "T's" in place then just use a strait splice you will need 2 of these one for hat and one for cold and 4 crimp rings(one for EACH conection or crinp spot) You may also need some more pipe for the lenght. This stuff is real cheap even with the BIG BOX mark-ups. OR it may be IPEX pipe but you said GREY pipe. IPEX will be RED,BLUE,WHITE and crimps the same but with a different style of crimp ring (black or copper), barb style and a different tool. You CAN NOT mix the two styles unless you USE A TRANSISION COUPLER then it is fine.

It is way easer than it sounds. you just need the right parts. It you can mesure, use a pair of cutters and a crimp tool ( just like a big pair of pliers) you can do it.

Hope this helps

Igor
Igor68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I beg to differ:

As long as the sizes are identical, you can use Sea-Tech fittings to join dis-similar tubing like PEX, polybutelyne, copper CPVC, etc.

The Sea-Tech fittings do not require any connection tools, as they simply push onto the tubing. Simply cut the old fitting from the existing tubing and just push the fitting on. I have been using them almost exclusively for 3 years now and they work very well and DON'T LEAK!!! A tad expensive, but the time saved, especially in very tight locations is priceless!!!

They are now available at Lowes and HD also!
Old 01-13-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
Wagon Master

plumbing

yes I guess I could have mentioned those. We call them Shark Bites. Yes they go copper, PB, Pex. I Have used them and they work fine. I Forget about them as I have all the crimpers and other tools for tight locations
sorry......

Igor
Igor68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor68
yes I guess I could have mentioned those. We call them Shark Bites. Yes they go copper, PB, Pex. I Have used them and they work fine. I Forget about them as I have all the crimpers and other tools for tight locations
sorry......

Igor
Hi Igor,

The 'Sharkbites' are a little different, and require a tool to remove them, where the Sea-Tech fittings require nothing for installation/removal except the proper size tubing and your hands.