Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2017, 06:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Drain Hot Water Heater

1994 Excella with Atwood hot water heater
Someone modified the heater to operate on electric by replacing the drain plug with an insert that is wired to 110 volts.
Any other way to drain the tank.
The insert with wire is very tight behind the incoming propane line
I would have to take it all apart to unscrew the insert
jcm14246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Drain Hot Water Heater

I just have a nylon plug, but didn't want to mess with removal all the time so I inserted a tee in the line supplying water to the tank (in my case the tee is between the city inlet and cold supply to water heater). From the tee I put in a shutoff, and then a ran a line from the shut down through the underbelly. I have a similar arrangement for the hot water line leaving the water heater. All lines (hot and cold) are sloped toward these tees, and the lines from the tees to the shutoffs and down through the floor all run downhill, so winterizing is a simple matter of opening these two shutoff valves. Makes weekends trips in the winter easy.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm14246 View Post
1994 Excella with Atwood hot water heater
Someone modified the heater to operate on electric by replacing the drain plug with an insert that is wired to 110 volts.
Any other way to drain the tank.
If you are draining your water heater when you are draining the rest of the plumbing by blowing it out with compressed air you don't need to remove any plugs.

The cold water inlet is on the bottom of the tank and the hot water outlet is at the top of the tank. So the tank will blow itself dry if you manipulate the valves correctly.

What I do is open the hot and cold water low-point drain valves and connect air pressure to the city water inlet. (I only run 20 PSI). Blow the water out of the system until most of the water is out. (Air coming out of the low point drains with just a few spurts of water now and then.)

Then I open the faucets, shower valve, toilet flush valve, etc. one at a time to blow the water out of those lines.

Finally, close all hot water faucets and the hot water low point drain so pressure can build up in the hot water side of the system. Any water remaining in the water heater will be blown out the cold water low-point drain.

I have been winterizing our trailer this way for 10 years and it works for me.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote