Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
We turn off our water pump when towing. One time towing our Serenity we forgot and after traversing the rough, switchback, 29 miles Ft. Bragg, CA to Leggett road we stopped for lunch and found a lot of water on the floor and a half full kitchen sink. It seems the long faucet handle had bounced on and off and the sink stopper bounced into its sealed position. The pump off switch is now a double check item after a bathroom stop.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Hooking up to city/camp water using a "Y" with individual levers is what I do.
I put my white hose on one outlet of the "Y"...and my common/garden/washout hose on the other. This allows me access to water "in the yard" anytime while camping... AND it allows an easy/quick way to turn the lever supplying the trailer to the OFF position when leaving the trailer unattended.

Anytime water pressure is available in the trailer while it's unattended is a chance to cause real damage... and it doesn't take a broken pipe to do that.

All it takes is a shower or sink or toilet valve to fail ...and your grey and/or black tanks will overflow and run out onto your floors from the shower-pan. If it's the toilet valve...(highly unlikely but still...) ...then you've got a real mess on your hands. (The grey tank system vents to the black tank system about 2 feet above the black tank. When the one tank overflows...it raises the level of the effluent up to that common connection...which is a direct connection to your shower pan drain.)

There is no need for water pressure to exist in an unoccupied trailer or RV. When leaving your residence for long trips.... Unless you've got someone house-sitting... turn the main water supply valve OFF, reduce the temperature the water-heater.... and let the neighbor know about it.

Boxite... you know what your are doing.

This is a Trailer. Not a home, built on a foundation and insulated to code.

Not the same as your home. Appliances, plumbing or water supply systems are built to 'different standards'. Those who practice smart practices with their trailer, will not return some day... and find a disaster that could be prevented.

Everyone has their own way of doing things. If it has worked, no argument from me.

When we read about water line failure posts on the Forum, they usually avoid explaining if it could have been prevented, by changing habits. In winter conditions, having the water pump off when not in use is good routine. If the water lines freeze, the replacement of a water pump may outweigh any minor inconvenience.

If you have a minor 'spray' from an external water hookup onto your trailer's exterior... the calcium carbonate buildup on your trailer's aluminum could also been prevented.

Many learn from previous, possibly preventable, problems. A good number of posts have given great advice. Taking this advice should not be taken lightly.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #23
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Water Pump: We always turn it off when we are driving. The water heater is turned off as well. While camped we usually turn the pump off at night. When boondocking we leave it off and turn it on as needed.

City Water: We seldom hook up to city water. Usually only if we want to use the shower. When we do, I always turn it off when we leave.

If the pump is on the system should hold pressure and the pump not tick at all. I always listen for the pump to tick and check immediately to see if something is left open or something more ominous is happening.

We have had several water experiences:

1. The PO patched a broken water line with hose and clamps. We were hooked to city water and it leaked after parked when we left to check in at a rally. It flooded the entire front of the trailer. Fortunately at that time we had bare plywood floors and rugs. That line now has a soldered repair.

3. Six months later we were running of the pump having learned not to hook up to city water. The PO had replaced the kitchen sink faucet and did not have the correct fittings on one side so he cut the line and replaced it with a hose and hose clamps. While we were gone it popped off and pumped in 30 gallons of water into the trailer. This time, we were fortunate that the trailer sloped to the counter side and just soaked everything under the counter and ran out that side. That fitting is now a compression fitting.

3. This last trip I heard water ticking and pulled the dinette seat to find a slow leak at the 4 year old flex hose to the pump. I tightened the clamp and it sealed but obviously had been leaking for some time. I am going to double clamp the hoses.

Lesson: You are driving a rolling earthquake. Turn the water off when not in use and always listen for the pump ticking or water running when it shouldn't be and check all clamp fittings periodically.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
?We turn ours off, when we think about it for reasons mentioned. We have had 4 AS's now, and have experienced everything from leaks, to cracks from frozen lines, to water pump cycling even when no faucets were open when left on. Recently we had the water pump in our new 2017 28', start a humming sound, almost like it is running, when we left it on a couple times at night, but it was not priming; just humming. We turn off; easy to flip the switch when needed...does not take long to prime and back into use.
With regard to the water heater; we try to turn off. Amazingly, we still find pretty warm to hot water in morning when off. It does not take long to make hot water in our new unit, nor to keep it hot while showering, even when not on long.

With these cold temps in TX, we disconnect battery with disconnect switch, plug into shore power, turn on propane, and leave the furnace at 42 degrees to make sure it stays warm enough inside. We use the trailer sometimes here in TX over the winter, that's why I don't put antifreeze and winterize; just empty the tanks and leave faucets open.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
We leave it on while present, which has routinely been while boondocking overnight. I have heard about flooding stories when leaving shore water on when not present, but honestly I continue to forget to turn it off when we’re gone for the day. The day we
Come back and find a problem will be the last time we forget!
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:08 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
1. Never leave the water pump on while towing
2. Always turn off the city water when leaving your rig! I never want to have the dreaded flood when I come back.
3. Turn off the water heater at night and during the day when you don’t need it. Only takes a few minutes to heat it up.
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:10 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
Wasn't the OP about freezing temps? There is freezing and there is frigid. If you have a tank of fresh water, and that tank freezes you potentially have a huge, expensive disaster on your hands. I don't know about you but "Gee honey, I didn't think 50 gallons of water would freeze in 32 degree weather. "Just won't cut it with the little lady as we abandon the trip and head home the next day. Winterize the trainer the trailer if you have any concern about freezing temps.
3.31 Diff. and Tow Package
Flo - '12 AS International Serenity M-30'
Dlbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:13 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Liverpool , New York
Great advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieb1086 View Post
1. Never leave the water pump on while towing
2. Always turn off the city water when leaving your rig! I never want to have the dreaded flood when I come back.
3. Turn off the water heater at night and during the day when you don’t need it. Only takes a few minutes to heat it up.
I'll be making a sign that says this and posting it inside my new Airstream! Thanks!
NewAirOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:46 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
?We turn ours off, when we think about it for reasons mentioned. We have had 4 AS's now, and have experienced everything from leaks, to cracks from frozen lines, to water pump cycling even when no faucets were open when left on. Recently we had the water pump in our new 2017 28', start a humming sound, almost like it is running, when we left it on a couple times at night, but it was not priming; just humming. We turn off; easy to flip the switch when needed...does not take long to prime and back into use.
With regard to the water heater; we try to turn off. Amazingly, we still find pretty warm to hot water in morning when off. It does not take long to make hot water in our new unit, nor to keep it hot while showering, even when not on long.

With these cold temps in TX, we disconnect battery with disconnect switch, plug into shore power, turn on propane, and leave the furnace at 42 degrees to make sure it stays warm enough inside. We use the trailer sometimes here in TX over the winter, that's why I don't put antifreeze and winterize; just empty the tanks and leave faucets open.
Update from my "earlier" post! We did go to JC last November and they checked the water pump and replaced with a new unit, pressure checked the lines, and all is well. The new pump is much quieter and does not cycle as the OEM did. Not sure what model they installed, but it works great!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs up

I turn pump off when not using, habit picked up many yrs ago w/old style piston pumps, fully pressurized systems, never hook up to city water, and don't turn water heater off as only propane, pilot blows out soon as up to speed.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 10:39 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I turn mine off when it's not in use.
I got that habit from my boating days.
My one switch is in the galley, and I wish there was a second in the bathroom (head). After a shower, it's too easy to forget the switch by the time I get dressed and out and about.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote