Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2021, 09:37 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Does Pump Draw ONLY From Tank?

Hi,

I just bought an On The Go water softener system. I don't want to drink it full time and figure I can fill fresh water tank when good water available and use the tank through my Berkey for drinking water.

But does the pump use ONLY fresh water tank water? I guess I just have to let it run a few seconds to purge the line of soft water and be ok right?

Berkey say do NOT use sot water in their filters and it voids the warranty if you do.

Thanks!

Trav!
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I don't fully understand your question, but the pump in your AS pumps water from the fresh water tank. If you are connected to city water you wouldn't use the pump and there is a device to prevent the city water from going through the pump into the fresh water tank.

Does that help?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:16 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
I don't fully understand your question, but the pump in your AS pumps water from the fresh water tank. If you are connected to city water you wouldn't use the pump and there is a device to prevent the city water from going through the pump into the fresh water tank.

Does that help?
Sorry...

What I want to do is be hooked up to city water running through my soft water system but fill the Berkey with water 100% from the fresh water tank.

So instead of going outside and turning off city water just flip the pump switch and be getting fresh water tank water alone...once the line is purged.

I'm pretty sure once the pump is switched on city water is cut off and water coming from inside sink faucet is 100% tank water....right?

Trav
Old 12-16-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I would think the city water pressure would be stronger than your pump and prevent you from pumping up from the tank. You'd have to still go outside and turn off the city water and bleed off the pressure. That's my hypothesis anyway.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:32 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
With the city water connected and the pump on, you get a blend of water from the city and from the tank. The pressure of the city water vs the pump pressure will determine the the blend of the mix.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My guess is that the city water pressure will usually be enough to keep the pump from even turning on and that you will get 100% city water when you run the faucet. With low pressure and if the pump activates then you get a mix. I think you are going to have to turn off the city water.

But yes to the question. The pump only "draws" from the fresh water tank.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Not sure your concerns and the trouble with just using a standard water filter on the intake hose/ line from the city water, and an inline filter under your sink if you want to add additional filtration and use the faucet in the kitchen for drinking? We have both types filters on our rig and we carry/use a 3Ga water container with manual pump for drinking water/coffee. We fill that container either with our filtered water hose, or other pure water filtration stations. People can get really carried away with these additional filtration systems for sure!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 01:38 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
South Windsor , CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
Sorry...

What I want to do is be hooked up to city water running through my soft water system but fill the Berkey with water 100% from the fresh water tank.

So instead of going outside and turning off city water just flip the pump switch and be getting fresh water tank water alone...once the line is purged.

I'm pretty sure once the pump is switched on city water is cut off and water coming from inside sink faucet is 100% tank water....right?

Trav
One thought based on the answers above is that you could plumb a normally open water solenoid valve into your city water line. Activate the solenoid with power from the pump. When the pump power is turned on the valve closes and isolates the city water supply. When the pump power is off the water supply is city water as described previously.

There's always a catch though: you would not want to leave the pump power on for longer that the duty cycle of the solenoid, which is probably some number of hours.
vintage6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:

Trav
As said, no that is not right. You get water from the source of water with the most pressure. With city water on it normally has the most pressure. Guessing here, probably 80-85% of campgrounds you would get just city water, 15-20% you would get a mix and 0-3% just tank water. Also this would depend on how many people are using water in the campground at the same time you are.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:

Trav
No.
People often use the pump to increase low city water pressure in the shower, etc.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 02:14 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Simply plumb in the Berkey into a dedicated faucet at the sink. Many are available on the market.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 02:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Just because Wazbo says I am wrong does not make it so.

Give it a try. On our system when connected to city water the pump generally does not run. Even when the pump switch is turned on. It works off a pressure switch and if the city water has enough pressure the pump does not pump.

Yes, if the city pressure is too low or if your pressure reducer is set low enough then the pump will come on and off to keep the pressure up.

In any event you are not going to get just tank water when connected to the city lines.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 05:59 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Wow!

Thanks all!

I'll just have to turn off city water for now.... and figure a good long term plan for drinking water.

Trav
Old 12-18-2021, 05:31 AM   #14
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Wow!

Thanks all!

I'll just have to turn off city water for now.... and figure a good long term plan for drinking water.

Trav

May I respectfully remind that there is virtually no difference between "drinking water" and water used for showering. Showering produces aerosols so that whatever nasties are present in your fresh water tank are effectively delivered to your body. It is a common misunderstanding that water unsafe to drink is OK for showering. Not so.

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 07:09 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
A few points:

1) the Berkey is the most overrated water filter. I used it for years but it is nowhere better to modern intake filters. And why would you not filter anything that comes into your Airstream so that all water is filtered and potable? I just bought this new RV filter system and very impressed: Link here

2) I have stayed at many campgrounds with very high city water pressure, but inside the Airstream the pressure is always fairly low. I usually fill up my water tank and use the pump to have a decent shower. I was told by Airstream this is normal as it protects the pipes. Is there a way to at least increase the pressure to the same level as the pump?
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:36 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
May I respectfully remind that there is virtually no difference between "drinking water" and water used for showering. Showering produces aerosols so that whatever nasties are present in your fresh water tank are effectively delivered to your body. It is a common misunderstanding that water unsafe to drink is OK for showering. Not so.
While I'm loving the soft water for showers hard water bathing was not hazardous to one's health.

My issue was all about drinking until I learned of the problems hard water can cause in an RV!

I filter all intake water with sediment filter and charcoal filter. I'm gonna add another charcoal I think. The through the Bereky was perfect for drinking cooking!

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2021, 08:39 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Pala , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
A few points:

1) the Berkey is the most overrated water filter. I used it for years but it is nowhere better to modern intake filters. And why would you not filter anything that comes into your Airstream so that all water is filtered and potable? I just bought this new RV filter system and very impressed: Link here

2) I have stayed at many campgrounds with very high city water pressure, but inside the Airstream the pressure is always fairly low. I usually fill up my water tank and use the pump to have a decent shower. I was told by Airstream this is normal as it protects the pipes. Is there a way to at least increase the pressure to the same level as the pump?

I LOVE my Berkey! I'm a water snob and found NOTHING that could make faucet water palatable until the Berkey. May studies seem to down grade it but same say a Brita is as good or better which is a howler! Has to be set up right!

I do filter into the AS with sediment filter and charcoal filter so get decent water to start with. The water softener is GREAT for showers and cleaning and I'm sure my plumbing loves it too!
Old 12-18-2021, 02:07 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
No.
People often use the pump to increase low city water pressure in the shower, etc.
This is so true, I've used it in every campground we have camped in this year. Probably 10 times. Even tho there are both sources (city water and the tank) with the pump on, it will take water from the tank first.
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 02:26 PM   #19
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
If you are dead set against just filtering the softened water and want to carry a supply of unsoftened water in the freshwater tank, then perhaps what you need to do is install a T fitting on the line feeding your current water pump. From that T fitting, you can tap into the tank's water supply before any chance if it mixing with the city water supply. Connect a small pump to that T fitting and run a 1/4" line to under your sink. Install a drinking water faucet alongside the sink and connect it to that fitting. A switch for the new pump can be installed anywhere that's convenient to you.

Now you've got a convenient way to fill your Berkey directly from the tank's water supply and can leave all your other plumbing at it is.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote