Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2002, 11:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Do I have a leak?

Let me start off by saying my battery is on it's way out and was turning the water pump sluggishly.

When I run the pump I get water at the kitchen faucet. When I turn off the faucet the pump never goes off, I have to turn it off manually. Once the pump is off I can turn on the faucet in the next 5 minutes and there is still pressure. After that it has gone.

So why does the pump never turn off? The trailer is situated for the summer so I can't take it to a dealer and have the water system pressure tested. These are the things I think could be wrong. Am I on the right track and is there anything I can do to test and confirn/eliminate.

1. The system has a leak
2. The pump is old and is not pumping well enough to build sufficient pressure to trip the pressure switch.
3. The pressure switch is faulty.
4. A new battery will whiz the pump around faster and all will be solved. (I can't try this yet as I can't afford a new battery and my univolt isn't working so I can't try shore power)

Thank you in advance for your time.
melprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 11:50 AM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Melvin,
please don't laugh.
5. fresh water tank near empty
There is a certain point on my system, when I still have water pressure but the pump never turns off.
Your weak battery also makes sense.
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 03:26 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
water pump no pump

If you have a ShurFlo like me and your valves in the pump get shot it will run but wont pickup any water or pump water, rebuild kits are available plus I carry a spare pump as well . Also, ShurFlo's have a thermal cutoff switch that will shut the pump off when it gets too hot and will auto reset in about the time it takes to drink one cold beer.

John (who just made his 200th post )
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 09:27 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Peter but I get the same results whether there is 5 or 50 gallons in the tank.

John,

Congrats on the 200th post. I don't know if it's a shurflo or not, I have a 72 Trade Wind and the pump looks original. I can't investigate it further because it's 1 1/2 hours away. When I go to stay in it at weekends I have to have what I need to fix stuff with me. I guess it would be best to rebuild anyway because of the age. Do you have a source for the kit? Did Airstream use any other pumps around this time? I've looked in my service manual and the picture is the same as my pump but it doesn't give it a name.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:28 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
In 72, if it was original, it is a Par pump. This type has a square base with a large belt drive wheel. If it is a Sureflo it looks kinda like a starter for a small car.

The Par pumps can be rebuilt but you would be better off spending the money and replacing it with the Sureflo. They are available everywhere and you can get parts, as noted in a prior post. Just my $.02 worth. Good luck!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 12:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I'm sure your service manual says the same as my '77 Excella service manual:

1. Defective pump check valve.
2. Water leak in plumbing.
3. Water leak in flush toilets.
4. Internal leak in pump.
5. Pump check valve not sealing.

I also have a Par pump in my '77.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 08:35 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thanks everyone for taking the time.

I took the advice of thenewkid and bought a new Shureflo, $67 on the web. It took me 10 minutes to fit and works like a charm.