Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Everett , Washington
Question Bowen Replacement-Cutout Dimensions

I'm confused. Need to replace the original Bowen water heater in a 60 Overlander. Really poor quality appliance...it only lasted 50 years!!! I've read lots of threads saying the Atwood is a perfect (exact?) replacement size, and several that have installed a Precision Temp RV-500 which claims to be a direct replacement for the Atwood size-wise.

The tank on my old Bowen is 20 1/4" in diameter, which requires removal of the entire door and trim to get it out, leaving an opening in the trailer skin of approx. 20 1/2 wide by 15 1/2 tall. How could either the Atwood 10 gal (or 6 gal) or the tankless RV-500 be a "perfect fit" as many have described in other threads?. The Atwood is 16 1/2 inches and the RV-500 is 14 1/2 with a flange width of 17 1/2 inches.

I am going to replace with the RV-500. (please don't suggest alternatives. right or wrong I've already ordered it.) Would really appreciate suggestions as to what I have to do to trim out the opening after installation. Please use small words and be gentle...I'm pretty handy, but a novice working with the exterior of the trailer. Thanks so much!
glang58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Check my thread "heat vent on skin"Goransons (post#4) has a pic of the modification using the old vent with a piano hinge.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
PS
The vent pictured is I think a 65 but it's the same idea of measuring the covering patch,then cutout the patch for the Atwood heater with tin snips or air shears. Round the corners off for a clean look.Rivet to the shell .
You then have a patch with a cutout the correct size for the Atwood.
You then attach a long stainless hinge to the old vent and make a latch of your choosing for the other side.
It is important to make sure the chimney lines up or modify so it will.
This way you can stay 60's vintage and not have to use the cheap white vent that comes with the Atwood
Old 03-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by glang58@comc View Post
several that have installed a Precision Temp RV-500 which claims to be a direct replacement for the Atwood size-wise.

I am going to replace with the RV-500. (please don't suggest alternatives. right or wrong I've already ordered it.) Would really appreciate suggestions as to what I have to do to trim out the opening after installation. Please use small words and be gentle...I'm pretty handy, but a novice working with the exterior of the trailer. Thanks so much!
You should be happy with the RV 500, I replaced the old Bowen in my 1976 Sovereign about 4 years ago. It has worked great and when I have needed help or service Precision Temp has been very helpful. Here is a pdf picture package of the removal and install process. When the file opens it will ask if you want to open in full screen side show mode. Just click no and then you can move through the 26 pictures. Hope this helps.

Don
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream RV-500.pdf (2.78 MB, 155 views)
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Everett , Washington
Thanks guys. That helps a bunch, especially the pics from both threads. I did retain the old door and like the idea of keeping the original look so your examples really help. Sorry for the noob question, but can either of you help with the type of aluminum I need for the "patch", and a source? Thanks again...I really appreciate it.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Post some pictures of your Bowen. I would have thought that the 1960 version would be the same size as the old Bowen in my 1976. What is the measurement our your opening from side to side and top to bottom. On the RV 500 the 'box" is 13 1/2 x 13 1/2. The overhang side to side is 17 1/2 and 16 1/2 top to bottom as indicated in the pictures. You can see on picture 24 that when the RV 50 is placed in the same opening as the old Bowen that it fits the exact pattern left by removing the old Bowen. All I had to do was cover the corners with some aluminum sheeting cut to size and then attach with caulking and screws as shown in picture 25. There was no cutting required on the Airstream at all. The brushed aluminum door that comes with the RV 500 completely covers the installation and looks great you would not want to use your old Bowen door on the RV 500 because of its venting requirements
when operating.

Don
Old 03-31-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Everett , Washington
My 1960 Bowen heater looks quite different than yours. It has a circular tank, 20 1/4" in diameter with the burner and controls mounted on the front. The cutout dimensions in my trailer are in my original post...20 1/2 wide by 15 1/2 tall with the old door and trim removed. This is larger, especially in width, and more rectangular than it appears yours is by looking at the photos. I'll try to get some pictures up by this weekend, but I'm thinking I'm in for some significant work trimming out the opening. Anybody have suggestions on what I need to be looking for in aluminum for such a trim project?
Old 04-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Everett , Washington
Here are some photos of the cutout in my Overlander with the old Bowen heater removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6876.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	99222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6877.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	99223  

Name:	IMG_6881.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	99224   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6882.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	99225  

Old 04-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
That is a different size. I think I have seen a few post where someone had to retrofit a new heater in to a larger cut out but I can't find any. Maybe someone will remember.

Don
Old 04-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Check Uwe's blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by glang58 View Post
Here are some photos of the cutout in my Overlander with the old Bowen heater removed.
Check www.area63productions.com go to the blog on the site and the 65 Safari has pics of the fit for a smaller HW heater
Old 04-02-2010, 07:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Some other threads to look at. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ter-40473.html and http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...tml#post823897.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
The aluminum you need is aircraft grade, and your local aircraft mechanic might have scraps that are big enough to trim out your water heater door. Many aircraft shops will sell small pieces and will cut to fit. Expect the prices to be a little steep. Aircraft parts have a lot of product liability insurance for the manufacturer buried in their cost. That's not your local guy's fault.

The skin of the Airstream is 2024-T3 Alclad, .032" thick. Ask for that when you call the local folks.

Internet sources for the aluminum are Aircraft Spruce and Airparts.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Everett , Washington
Thanks again. You guys are great! Ordered stock today from Aircraft Spruce. $ not too bad for the small amount I'm going to need (even though I ordered double to allow for potential "learning curve" issues).

Will I be able to cut the aluminum stock to shape using tin snips or do I need special tools? Looks like I'll be shaping a panel to cover the entire opening, then doing a cutout for the heater dimensions inside the outer panel. Planning on Olympic rivets to the skin on the outer perimeter and stainless screws to attach the heater flange to the cutout.
The screws would be covered by the heater door. Is this correct or is there a better way to put everything together?
Old 04-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Mini Nibbler

I bought a Mini Nibbler from Eastwood Company Eastwood Company: Search Results for mini nibbler
a few years ago. It was not expensive. You can see a picture of it in the pdf file in my earlier post. What is great about this cutter is that it cuts a clean straight line without distortion and can even cut curves. But I don't see this listed on Eastwood.com any more. They have the replacement blades for the Mini Nibbler but not the tool itself. They do have a more expensive model for around $49 that they to as a mini nibbler, but its not the same one.

Don
Old 04-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Compound snips, such as Wiss, will be easier on your hand. Most hardware stores sell them these days, and I think I've seen them at Lowe's. They make three. One is for straight cuts, one for left turns, and one for right turns.

If you cut with snips, don't let the blades close completely in the middle of the cut. It will leave a mark, or maybe a small crack, in the metal. In T3 (heat treated) condition, this metal is more brittle than ordinary aluminum--and almost as strong as steel.

Use a file to take the sharp edges off newly cut metal, even the edges left where the supplier cuts it with a metal shear. A few minutes just running a flat file down each edge will save a box of Band Aids.

Please post pictures as you go. We're doing the exact same conversion on our Safari.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Everett , Washington
Question Next Little Challenge

Ok, I have my aluminum, my nibblers and shears and have cut a nice patch for the opening. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Just when I thought I was on my way, reality set in. If any of you are still there, especially adonh who also installed an RV-500, I could use some more advice. When I place the heater unit in the opening and flat on the floor, the top flange is in contact with the hull skin, but the bottom flange is nearly two inches from the opening due to the curvature of the trailer hull (see pic). Yikes! I don't see a way to get both flanges in contact AND keep the unit level. Am I missing something or is this getting more complicated than I bargained for? Thanks again for the advice and the hand holding!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV500 in Cutout.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	100358  
Old 04-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
You might try raising the RV 500 up off the floor a couple of inches and see if the A/S side has a little less curve. If you notice in the pictures of my install I actually built an insert to level my floor where the heater sits. You should also check with Precision Temp and get their input as well.

Don
Old 04-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Everett , Washington
I saw that you had built a level platform due to existing floor damage. Your suggestion to raise the unit is a good one, and by doing that as high as possible in the existing cutout I can get the bottom flange to about an inch from the hull of the trailer. I don't want to enlarge the existing opening and I'm limited anyway because it is under the bed so it won't fit going any higher.

I'm kind of stumped because this was supposed to be a direct replacement for an Atwood, which fits the old Bowen space. If I gave up on the tankless idea and went to an Atwood heater, I can't imagine I wouldn't have the same problem. Anyone else have an idea?

I do have an inquiry into Precision Temp and will post their response when received. Thanks again.

Tags
bowen, cutout, size