Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
2009 23' International
2018 28' International
Bayfield , Colorado
best water heater?

Looks like we have to replace our original Bowen water heater in our 69 Caravel. Does anyone have a recommendation about a particular model, or any specifications we should shop for, oh and best prices might help too!

thanks, Krista
KHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
A 6 gallon DSI heater from Atwood or Saburban are about the same cost. Look for a sale. Fall and winter are slow sales months should be able to get a deal. As for quality they are also about the same.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:22 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarris
Looks like we have to replace our original Bowen water heater in our 69 Caravel. Does anyone have a recommendation about a particular model, or any specifications we should shop for, oh and best prices might help too!

thanks, Krista
Krista,

The most popular units are made by either Suburban or Atwood, as Gary already quoted.
Having installed both, it is really hard to say which is better. My RV parts supplier claims that he is sold on the Suburban models, so I bought a 10gal Suburban for my 63 Overlander rehab project. It is functionally identical to the Atwood that I bought 2 years prior for my 1971 Tradewind. It's flush mount door is aliitle less obtrusive than the Atwood door.
You might take a look at the existing water heater cutout and decide which one might fit the application a little better, and base your choice on that.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
No Tanks

Have you considered a "tankless" water heater?
If you did a search for tankless and lewster you might find it interesting.
We have a tankless Riunni at home and love it.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Depends on your budget

Go tankless if you have the bucks! I have the RV-500 in my 19CCD. It is especially gratifying when on the road to be able to pull into a rest area and get a HOT shower instantly, without running the water heater while driving or waiting for the tank to heat.

When hooked-up, you can take a shower until your propane runs out ( a VERY long time ).

Other than that, the main difference in the conventional heaters is the tank. The Atwood uses an aluminum clad tank that they say never corrodes thru and Suburban uses a replaceable sacrificial anode to keep the tank from corroding. It's a toss-up, but I have replaced a couple of Atwood tankd and NEVER a Suburban.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
The suburban 10 gallon in our 60 i installed works great .It is supposed to
be a porcelin coated or lined steel tank .the bowen was an alumium tank and
I did not want the corrosion with aluminum ,so no atwood . Many do use both
brands that work well .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #7
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
lewster. I was wondering how long should a atwood live? my 86 excella has the original atwood dsi unit. Things are getting pretty rusty and I've started research on new products. Ant comment on the Atwood XT models? Thanks in advance Tim
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:39 AM   #8
69 Caravel

1969 18' Caravel
2009 23' International
2018 28' International
Bayfield , Colorado
THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYONE'S SUPPORT AND ADVICE. I COULDN'T GET ALONG WITHOUT IT ON THIS PROJECT.

We are researching the tankless, both for home and RV, but cost may be the deciding factor.

Krista
KHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
lewster. I was wondering how long should a atwood live? my 86 excella has the original atwood dsi unit. Things are getting pretty rusty and I've started research on new products. Ant comment on the Atwood XT models? Thanks in advance Tim
tim,

Haven't seen any XT's yet, but I'll do a little research when I get a minute. I just got off the road from a cross-country trip and I have a 'few' things to do .
Old 09-15-2006, 08:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Hi,

I would agree with a couple of others... go "tankless" aka, "on demand" hot water heater. I think they are quite small, and give you more storage room around your heater. Spendy, yes. Less weight, not lugging around the extra water, not using as much propane to keep the water hot. Longer "navy" showers.... or if hooked up.... luxurious showers!

Good luck on your quest. Let us know what you decide and why! We are all interested!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:43 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Tankless for AS & Home

Would love to replace our 23 yr. old WH in our International with a tankless.
Considerations have been cost and actual benefit of "unlimited" hot water they produce. Food for thought: If you (a) do a lot of camping (no city water hook-up), (b) take water conserving style showers due to capacity of the fresh water tank; the tankless may be the cake you can't eat.
Our 40 gal. supply would eliminate the long, luxury hot showers that the tankless affords only with the appropriate supply of water.
On the other hand, if most of your trips involve a city water connection a small tankless will provide 3 or 4 gpm continuously and give you those great showers.
Water supply / availability will be a big factor in our decision to go back with something close to the original 6 gal. unit.

PS: We have recently installed a 6.9 gpm Noritz in our home and it is wonderful. Looks like a standard carry-on size piece of luggage hanging on the wall. Reclaiming the basement space used by the old 40 gal. gas guzzling water heater was an added benefit. Try to select a model that qualifies for a $300 tax credit. For Georgia we had a Sept. 15 deadline to apply for a $500 rebate from GA. Natural Gas. That almost paid for the $850 cost for the heater (not including $150 for the correct exhaust kit)

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:20 PM   #12
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
For not much extra, you can get propane heaters that also have a 120v element that can run concurrently. This hastens the rise time if you have the 120v supply.

Of course, tankless is always nice!

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
If you go with a standard tank, there are some websites that can save you a lot off of the retail dealer price.

I would also suggest upgrading to an electric ignition version. No more running out in the AM to relight the pilot after a little wind, and then waiting for it to heat up again. Very easy upgrade.
Dave

On edit - I see now that this was an old thread. Oh well - the info may help someone....
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:30 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Edgewater Park , New Jersey
If you get the tankless, is the time limit then only the water supply? Where do I find these tankless heaters, any names or sites???
It really sounds like the way to go!
FiveOJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
fiveO,

i'm considering this for my flying cloud. it's one of the few choices around;
About PrecisionTemp it's around $900.

i've read on here that some people have toyed with this idea;
Bienvenidos a Excel Boilers gas water heaters gasflex gastite pex energy tax act it's around $500 but not really made for rv but if you do a search, you'll find some info on it.

in my opinion, it's not worth saving the $400 on the excel as it's not designed for an rv, however there are some people on here that think you can install/adapt just about anything for an rv. i'm not one of those people. i'd rather spend a little extra and buy the product that is designed for the intended use.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:15 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Urbanfood, Thanks for the info. This site is the best for a new guy like me. I have been moving towards getting my first RV for the last 6-8 months, and it looks like it will be an AS. I am going to look at another one in two weeks. I agree with the round peg/round hole theory and this may be pefect for someone like me who needs a long hot shower everyday. Sorry, but I was never in the Navy.
Price doesn't just come down to comparing it to other types and operating costs, comfort is a big factor to me. If people can spend 6 bucks for a pack of smokes everyday I'm sure $900 is well spent on something like this.

Does this site support group purchases???
Old 02-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Exclamation Be CAREFUL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
fiveO,

i'm considering this for my flying cloud. it's one of the few choices around;
About PrecisionTemp it's around $900.

i've read on here that some people have toyed with this idea;
Bienvenidos a Excel Boilers gas water heaters gasflex gastite pex energy tax act it's around $500 but not really made for rv but if you do a search, you'll find some info on it.

in my opinion, it's not worth saving the $400 on the excel as it's not designed for an rv, however there are some people on here that think you can install/adapt just about anything for an rv. i'm not one of those people. i'd rather spend a little extra and buy the product that is designed for the intended use.
I would NOT use ANY LP or other fueled tankless water heater (other than electric) in an RV.... UNLESS it is certified by the RVIA specifically for RV use. If you have ANY problems such as a fire or explosion, you can be SURE that your insurance company WILL deny your claim based on improper use of an unrated appliance!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster

I would NOT use ANY LP or other fueled tankless water heater (other than electric) in an RV.... UNLESS it is certified by the RVIA specifically for RV use. If you have ANY problems such as a fire or explosion, you can be SURE that your insurance company WILL deny your claim based on improper use of an unrated appliance!!!
Oh hell, I've been shot, stabbed, hit by lightning, done 7 flips in a car, and blown up already. I ain't scared of no waterheater.
Just kidding, thanks for the heads up, I will look into that.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster

worrying about whether insurance co. would deny my claim would be the least of my worries in the event of an explosion.

lewster, please explain the difference between an LP tank and LP tankless hot water heater in terms of "chance of explosion factor". they are both using LP as a heat source. also, i'd like to hear more why you think the precisiontemp rv-500 shouldn't be used in an rv (considering it's designed to be used in an rv).

also, it doesn't appear to be approved by RVIA because the precisiontemp people probably haven't paid RVIA to approve it. if you don't recommend the precisiontemp, what other brand would you recommend for a tankless hot water heater designed for an rv?

please enlighten us.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:49 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
worrying about whether insurance co. would deny my claim would be the least of my worries in the event of an explosion.

lewster, please explain the difference between an LP tank and LP tankless hot water heater in terms of "chance of explosion factor". they are both using LP as a heat source. also, i'd like to hear more why you think the precisiontemp rv-500 shouldn't be used in an rv (considering it's designed to be used in an rv).

also, it doesn't appear to be approved by RVIA because the precisiontemp people probably haven't paid RVIA to approve it. if you don't recommend the precisiontemp, what other brand would you recommend for a tankless hot water heater designed for an rv?

please enlighten us.
My post referred to the 'other brand' of water heater. The PrecisionTemp IS RV approved and I HAVE ONE IN MY 19CCD!!!!! I can highly recommend it, as I also had one in my former MoHo, a '98 Monaco Dynasty that I full-timed in for 5 years. Never had a problem with the unit!

If a heater is not constructed specifically for use in a mobile environment, that is to say that it's components and design are focused primarily for use going down the road, you might have component failure that is directly related to being on the move. Also, the air pathways and location of the igniter and burner components differ in a 'house' unit and an RV unit.

I have used tankless water heaters since 1995 in various homes that I have owned or built. They are a great product but be sure that the unit that you choose is rated for the proper use, like the RV-500 for an RV. There are many great heaters for home use, but they should stay in the home, not an RV.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the RV-500.