Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Full-time traveling , Hmmmm. what day of the week is it?
Water filtering

We have been traveling full-time since July 2016 in our 2001 30’ Airstream trailer. 39,000+ miles, 270+ campgrounds and 50 states/provinces so far. Here is an article about water, water filtering, and water conservation in a RV that you might find helpful. https://livinginbeauty.net/2019/01/14/water-water/
JBBeaubeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
West Unity , New Hampshire
Our Big Berkey

We bought our Big Berkey in 1999 in honor of Y2K and have used it continuously ever since. It is the standard size with accommodation for four filters. We use two. In fact they are the same ones we started with in '99. Our water comes from a driven well and is of good quality, but we've taken it on many trips as well. In 2005 we found ourselves in North Carolina on the Outer Banks. The water at the place we were at was actually orange. It was a life saver! Kept on the counter it takes up little space. We clean the filters with a tooth brush when the flow slows down. I don't think the sight glass was available back in the day, and I've had no trouble picking up the top chamber to check on the capacity. Upon purchase we bought four extra filters which are still in the box. We might just put in a new set soon, as we won't live long enough to wear them all out. We couldn't be happier with this product.
Riverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 27' International
2021 30' Globetrotter
Nashville , TN
Which size Berkey

This is a great thread and came at the perfect time for us. We have recently purchased our 2nd Airstream and this time around we don't want to mess with the hassle of bottled water. Especially given the current Covid situation and our need to reduce the trips to the grocery store.
We have a 27FB. I am debating over the regular size Berkey or the travel. The foot print of the regular is just an inch or so bigger around than the travel, so I am tempted to go there. Can I ask which Berkey everyone has, which AS, and where are you putting it?

Thanks!
ewor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:07 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
West Chester , Ohio
Travel Berkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewor View Post
This is a great thread and came at the perfect time for us. We have recently purchased our 2nd Airstream and this time around we don't want to mess with the hassle of bottled water. Especially given the current Covid situation and our need to reduce the trips to the grocery store.
We have a 27FB. I am debating over the regular size Berkey or the travel. The foot print of the regular is just an inch or so bigger around than the travel, so I am tempted to go there. Can I ask which Berkey everyone has, which AS, and where are you putting it?

Thanks!
We have a 2018 Tommy Bahama 27FB. It has a rectangular sink, so we keep the Travel size Berkey to the right of the faucet near the wall. We do not find it to be in the way of anything and the faucet can extend up for filling it.

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2020 GMC 2500
LeatherDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Sandston , Virginia
Berkey as Final Filter.

Hi,
I'll add my voice to the many others that bought a travel Berkey and now use it at home daily. We have good tasting well water, but the Berkey makes the water better. Can not recommend it high enough. The travel size requires us to refill every two days which I think it the longest I would want water in the reservoir. Good luck, hope you find one, you will be happy. Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisH View Post
Hi,

My two stage full Airstream filter system (sediment and charcoal canisters) almost has the water to a point I can drink it. Yes I'm picky!

I considered an under sink with dedicated faucet but not keen on that.

So Berkey as a final filter to take the final edge off the city water??????

Thanks!

Trav
Bob Altic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Yuma , Arizona
RO system

Have use RO systems in our last 3 RVs. We also use one in the house. In the RV we send the RO discharge back into the fresh water tank so there is no last water.
gcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 05:02 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount'n Man View Post
We received a 2gal Big Berkey for Christmas and love it! The only drawback in our situation is you're not supposed to use softened water-- which is our house water--so we have to bring a bucket in from the outside spigot. And yes, we purchased the must-have sight glass spigot-- worth every penny!

We decided to invest in a tiny camping Berkey for the Airstream. Small, but powerful (uses a full size filter and makes about 1-˝ pints in about 15 mins), and we just fill a reservoir for coffee and drinking as it's convenient.

As a bonus, our tiny Berkey came with a padded carry case, priming pump and personal water bottle (with its own filter). Attachment 370301Attachment 370302
Don't mean to be obnoxious but are you sure that all of the taps in your house run softened water? Often the plumbers will leave the cold water in the kitchen unsoftened because that tends to be used for drinking, cooking, watering plants etc. I have a couple of lines that are unsoftened for that reason. I have also had some lines changed to unsoftened so its possible to do pretty easily.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:03 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by farafield View Post
Don't mean to be obnoxious but are you sure that all of the taps in your house run softened water? Often the plumbers will leave the cold water in the kitchen unsoftened because that tends to be used for drinking, cooking, watering plants etc. I have a couple of lines that are unsoftened for that reason. I have also had some lines changed to unsoftened so its possible to do pretty easily.
Good question, but I built the house and put the water softener in the well house, so all the water entering the house is soft. I split the system at the pressure tank so that only the outdoor hydrants are untreated. I just fill the "berkey bucket" while feeding the animals... just part of living the country life, I guess [emoji849]
Mount'n Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:20 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewor View Post

Thanks!
I have a FC20 with the large kitchen galley. My Berkey Travel lives in the back corner curve of the galley, next to the sink. I love my Berkey!!
Old 06-18-2020, 10:55 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
As an FYI to post #20, our little Go Berkey has a footprint of 4" diameter, 14.5" tall and makes an honest 26oz per run. Plenty for a couple of cups of Keurig coffee in the morning or to fill a water bottle. Quick to run, easy to store, and we fill a reservoir dispenser when lounging in the trailer (an '06 Safari 25FB, by the way).
Mount'n Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2016 27' International
2021 30' Globetrotter
Nashville , TN

Thank you to all who have responded and shared where they keep their Berkey. I just ordered the Travel Berkey and am confident about putting it by the sink next to the wall after hearing from all of you.
Thanks so much!
ewor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:30 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Globetrotter
Park City , Utah
Is it possible to fit the Travel Berkey in the 6.7 refrigerator in a Globetrotter? Or is it insulated if we put ice in it?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2020 27' Globetrotter
Chicago , Illinois
We have the travel berkey and keep it on bathroom counter out of the way. Also bought 2 berkey glass bottles that fit nicely in the frig door and refill those after use.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:07 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamawanted View Post
Is it possible to fit the Travel Berkey in the 6.7 refrigerator in a Globetrotter? Or is it insulated if we put ice in it?

Thanks
Susan, we put a Tupperware pitcher in the fridge with water from the Berkey. The shelves in the fridge are preset plus the top of any Berkey will be empty once filtered so you’re wasting that space.

We use collapsible plastic bags to store filtered water between stops. Our Big Berkey fits on the counter of our GT with the spout over the sink. We store it in the shower collapsed on the road. No problems!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF586B20-1ABA-4AE3-B812-19A2F3058E26.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	370749  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:07 AM   #35
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The "typical" fridge often has a space for a rectangular bottom jug or pitcher. Putting something round in that space not very efficient. Find something that fits "just right" in that space. Also: with the cold water in the fridge, you can still be making more filtered water out on the counter ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote