Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Atwood or Suburban pros cons

I am trying to decide on a new water heater.I am to the shell so it could be anything.It's just me,28ft. Ambie and maybe a guest occasionally.
6 or 10 gal. I know I want gas/elec with direct spark pilot.Pros cons of the 2 ?
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I bought a 6 gallon Atwood with electronic ignition and 110 volt heating element. The reason I picked Atwood is it fit my hole. The reason I picked 6 gallon is it gives me an additional three inches at the area of the toilet. The reason I picked electric ignition is I don't like lighting pilot lights. The reason I picked 110 volt electric as an additional heat source is I couldn't imagine being sorry I did that.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
says all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
I bought a 6 gallon Atwood with electronic ignition and 110 volt heating element. The reason I picked Atwood is it fit my hole. The reason I picked 6 gallon is it gives me an additional three inches at the area of the toilet. The reason I picked electric ignition is I don't like lighting pilot lights. The reason I picked 110 volt electric as an additional heat source is I couldn't imagine being sorry I did that.

Gary
That about says it all.Does it recycle hot pretty quickly on 110?
Old 10-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
Is that your water heater just in front of the wheels cubside. I`m pretty sure the new Atwood will be smaller than the opening for that one. The Suburban is even smaller. Can you post close up pic of your heater or dimensions of opening.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My water heater as well as the rest of the plumbing is seasoning until I have a motivation spasm or until spring overtakes my good intentions.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
room

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Is that your water heater just in front of the wheels cubside. I`m pretty sure the new Atwood will be smaller than the opening for that one. The Suburban is even smaller. Can you post close up pic of your heater or dimensions of opening.
Don't have a closeup of the hole,but it is plenty big.Pulled a 10 gal. Bowen out.Have 30 gal. fresh tank so just looking at options.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
Atwood lists their dimensions for a 10 gal heater at 15.75 inches high by 16.25 inches wide and 21.75 inches deep.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
I am fabricating with a piano hinge a cover for the unit.I will use the old 60's heat vent so I will probably need to make a patch to make my hole smaller and redesign the stove vent for the old unit ,or swing open when HW is on.