Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
georgetown , Texas
Anyone use Tankless? Portable water heater?

I have a gutted 67 Caravel. It did not have any appliances. Starting from scratch.

I removed the bathroom - will use a portajon or hide a toilet under a cushion.

No indoor shower - but i would like an outdoor shower to save on space.

I talked to an ebay company from here in Austin - Marey heaters. They do tankless on demand water heaters. He recommended a model that was portable.

We talked.

I seems like the setup i could do would be : (opinions please)

install the portable tankless water heater on the exterior, on the tongue in vented tool like box (where the spare tire goes on some). This model comes with an outlet and shower head for outdoor shower. I can also put a t in it and run a hot water line into the airstream from underneath for the sink. i would run a supply line from the fresh tank to the exterior water heater.

we will not camp in the winter - no freeze issues.

fyi - this model costs $119. vs. $500 for an true water heater.

anyone?
knishiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I have to admit that the price is appealing. Did they mention how much propane it uses? Electric demand water heaters draw a lot of power, so I would assume that this model burns up gas pretty quick. My point being that while the heater is inexpensive, in the long run it might cost a lot to operate.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Safari
Little Compton , Rhode Island
Marey portable outdoor water heater

I have had total success with the smallest Marey, on demand hot water heater which I mounted inside in the camper bathroom in my 1954 Safari. See my post under Marey On Demand Hot water Heater report.
For $150 we have a good source of hot water and only use lp gas when needed . NO preheated hot water heaters to waste gas or electricity. ALso, they only take up a tiny bit of room.
Collapso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
We used the Marey and were displeased. Customer service doesn't respond. We replaced it this spring.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Safari
Little Compton , Rhode Island
Marey Hot Water Heater

Just curious, what did (or didn't) the Marey heater do to make you discard it?
Collapso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Just a quick not of caution with using a Marey or any other tankless water heater; while these units may be UL approved, THEY ARE NOT RVIA APPROVED FOR USE IN A RECREATIONAL VEHICLE! This has been thoroughly discussed in numerous other threads on the topic.

This means that for any problems like water leaks, blowouts or even fires, your insurance company will disavow coverage of the incident due to your use of an un-approved RV appliance. The Marey (and others) are made for residential use and not specifically for RV use. This makes a huge difference, as is shown in the pricing.

Whenever dealing with LP appliances, it is always better to err on the side of caution. There is a reason why RVIA approved tankless water heaters cost a bit more than $150! It's your life and well-being.........
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Cerritos , California
Just for the heck of it , I installed an electric on demand tankless water heater. I was actually surprised how well it worked. It served its purpose. We were able to take showers and have warm water when using the sink. Downside is that there is a 4 seconds delay whenever you start using hot water and the volume is lower than usual. Upside is that it was easy to install, its lightweight (3 lbs) and very efficient.
68Streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We use the Eccotemp L5 small tankless propane fired water heater when we're boondocking for a week or two when it's worth packing all the gear...

See our post #56 here to see our set-up with some pics... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f445...ter-53003.html

We use the same heater in our back yard at home to get a quick warm shower before/after a dip in our salt water pool... Has worked great for a several years - a great piece of gear to have around...