Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #21
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I've worked on a 10 g Atwood from my '03 Alfa, two sets of thermostats 120 & 12 v about the size of a dime in pairs, in a spring loaded carrier. I've replaced both sets as they failed, 120v had evidence of arcing. About $13. a pair as I remember.
My current 6 g heater I've looked into only has the 12 v thermostat, in the middle front side behind the sheet foam insulator. Nothing where the 120 v connection is on the backside.
Nice to know about the higher temp set point thermostat.
I don't know what Atwood was thinking but my 6 g unit had a nylon thread reinforced vinyl hose from cold water inlet to the mixing valve that was stretched out like a snake full of mouse. I replaced that with woven stainless to hold its' shape, before the fail.
I didn't understand what that mixing valve was, for it looks so much like a water hammer.
A local SOB dealer claimed that setup was some kind of "special Airstream thing" never seen one before when I showed him the pix of that bad hose I wanted to replace.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We went to a PrecisionTemp tankless a few years ago. Took about a 1/4 inch trim on the height of the opening to get it in the original Atwood 6 gallon hole.

Wife loves the long hot showers without running out of hot water. Sufficient justification in my mind.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I've read on this forum that Atwood manufacturers a tankless WH that fits the existing opening without modification of the body. I suppose the plumbing and gas pipes would be close to fitting. Again, I suppose, do not know for sure! I also read that winter use protection is an add on option for this WH, so be aware of that extra cost. I have not read anything negative from anyone that is using one. But to be clear, I have no personal experience with this product.

The WH in my Excella is 19 years old and the propane portion is malfunctioning regularly. I'm also considering my options. I leaning toward the multi fuel option (LP and electric combo), an exact replacement for the original. I'll be following this thread to find out which choice Paula goes with.

Does anyone know if any of the tankless WH manufacturers offer a stainless steel door for the exterior access, or do they all have to be painted to match the aluminum?
Old 01-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Atwood is using older technology licensed from Precision Temp....... why not use the original with more up to date innards???

Modifying the outer skin is not a bid deal, and PT naked a matching aluminum door as well.

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Corona , California
ALMOST no hot water

Exactly. The unpainted door looks very nice. All you have to do is ask for it to be shipped with an unpainted door. It was very easy to install, but the propane connection needed to be relocated a little on my rig. Used original pipe, however.

I used aluminum heating duct tape to seal up all the slots and corners of the enclosure to prevent air leaks into my interior. That was the only weird thing I noted. It's very quiet when it is running, and the PrecisionTemp version has freeze protection built in.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
RMKRUM, LEWSTER

Surgery details please. My Atwood is under the bed - NO room for a taller unit umless we slice into the styrofoam insulation. Precision Temp is pricy until you amortize it over 2000 long showers.

Paula
Old 01-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I bought my Precision Temp several years ago. Works flawlessly. I love it.

Suggest you call Precision Temp and pick their brains a bit on the installation questions. They were very friendly when I was considering my conversion (from an ancient Bowen).
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:15 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Difference in height was about 3/8 of an inch as measured. Width was the same. A slight trim on the top of the hole was all I needed.

Check your dimensions and clearance. It fit just fine in my International at the base of my closet. Didn't even have to rearrange the hatch over the heater.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Corona , California
And as far as my wife is concerned, the first unlimited hot shower paid for it.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Paula, Did you get your hot water heater fixed? Just wondering what the problem was and the fix. Thanks Gregg
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Going tankless. Spending the inheritance my niece and nephews might expect.

Of course they have the good taste to all want the Airstream
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:44 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Finally getting new Atwood tankless heater installed today. Could not find any nearby suppliers or installers for.other brands

Cover only comes in black or white. What paint should I look for to do a close match to the aluminium?
Old 01-27-2017, 07:29 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
A recent discussion on this subject:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474...er-161310.html
I vote for Rustoleum high temperature paint.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:53 AM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Finally getting new Atwood tankless heater installed today. Could not find any nearby suppliers or installers for.other brands

Cover only comes in black or white. What paint should I look for to do a close match to the aluminium?
Take it to a local body shop and have them use Mercedes silver. It's almost an exact match. I had my A/C shroud painted with that color on my then new '06 19' CCD and it almost disappeared!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:05 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Sigh. Well there are a few problems. The water in the kitchen sink gets quite hot quite fast. The bath sink got only tepid warm, but once i removed the filter at the end of the faucet and the flow increased the water got warmer. The shower got wonderfully hot once, and then only after running full bore for a long time. Two other times it only got tolerably warm. I think I'm almost out of propane, duh? obvious eh? and cant get a refill til morning. Should I use the shutoff valves to reduce the cold water flow where I have problems, or is there any mixer adjustment in the shower valve itself? I do have the oxygenics shower head which is supposed to save water... so I'll take that off and see what happens at the bare hose level. This is Not going to be good for boondocking until some debugging is done.

Paula