Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Crooksville , Ohio
Airstream water heater door

We are restoring our 1970 Overlander and have discovered the water heater needs replaced. All of the new water heaters have plastic doors. Does anyone know where I can purchase a silver door for the new heater we purchase. The curent door does not line up with vents of new heater. Thank you!
LKSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKSD View Post
We are restoring our 1970 Overlander and have discovered the water heater needs replaced. All of the new water heaters have plastic doors. Does anyone know where I can purchase a silver door for the new heater we purchase. The curent door does not line up with vents of new heater. Thank you!
What brand and model water heater do you now have?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The Atwoods come with metal doors. You used to be able to get a silver painted door. Maybe contact them to see if this option is still available.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:51 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Crooksville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
What brand and model water heater do you now have?

Andy

We have not purchased a new one yet. The one that was damaged was an Atwood. When I look at the Atwood or Suburban on line the replacement doors are white. I did not realize that the Atwood doors are metal however. It appears as though they are plastic as well. Willl have to check it out a little closer. We may be able to paint the metal door??? Thank you!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:45 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
We have not purchased a new one yet. The one that was damaged was an Atwood. When I look at the Atwood or Suburban on line the replacement doors are white. I did not realize that the Atwood doors are metal however. It appears as though they are plastic as well. Willl have to check it out a little closer. We may be able to paint the metal door??? Thank you!
If you get a new 10 gallon Atwood, you can re-use the stainless steel door from the old one with a little creativity. If you don't have the door, you will have to either paint your new one silver, or get the door painted. You will need to re-use the old bug screen, and re-screw it to the top of the flue like yours is now.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I can't imagine any of the doors being plastic. They'd melt.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:26 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Crooksville , Ohio
Post Water Tank Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
I can't imagine any of the doors being plastic. They'd melt.
Oops! They are metal doors. I wondered the same thing...why don't the melt. I guess I must have just made that part up. Sorry!
Since they are metal though I guess we could just paint it.
It has been a rough 2 weeks for me. Just found out I have no job after April 15th after working 23 years! Thanks everyone.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
One can order stainless doors for the 6 gallon Atwoods from Roger Williams Auto in Texas. It is a direct replacement. They also have a nice stainless replacement for the plastic side mounted venta-hood vent used on new trailers. Price is less then $100.00 for the pair. Maybe a little pricey, but both are a nice upgrade.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Palm Beach County , Florida
Quote:
Just found out I have no job after April 15th after working 23 years! Thanks everyone.
Sounds like a great thing... More time to get out and camp in the Airstream! While I sit in my cubicle, please know I am envious.
FullTimin2HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:46 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Crooksville , Ohio
Water tank door

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
One can order stainless doors for the 6 gallon Atwoods from Roger Williams Auto in Texas. It is a direct replacement. They also have a nice stainless replacement for the plastic side mounted venta-hood vent used on new trailers. Price is less then $100.00 for the pair. Maybe a little pricey, but both are a nice upgrade.

Thank you Jeff and Cindy I will check Roger Williams Auto out.

To FullTimin2HI: That is exactly what I plan to do. Spend more time in the Airstream. My 6 year old granddaughter is thrilled that I will not be working so Miss Annabelle and I will be hanging alot this summer! It is just the initial shock of losing your job and fearful of finding another with the economy situation. Have seriously thought about flipping vintage campers for an income however not certain people have extra cash to be spending on such things.

Thank you everyone. Have a fun, safe summer out there camping!