Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Sandpoint , Idaho
'76 Sovereign Original Water Heater?

Hi,

I'm still digging around in my new project... my 76 31' Sovereign. Presently it has an Atwood G10-2 10 gal water heater. It really looks like it doens't fit within the available space very well.

Anyone know the size of the original water heater? The outside access door doesn't fit well and on the inside, it is right up against the toilet.

Thanks,
Pete
phoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hi Pete G10-2 is a gas fired 10 gallon version 2 water heater from Atwood. The original was a Bowen and was probably a 10 gallon gas fired unit as well. Is your trailer a center or rear bath. The center bath should have a plastic shroud inside between the back of the heater and the side of the toilet. There is not much room to spare.Can you elaborate on how the exterior door does not fit well
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Sandpoint , Idaho
Hi there and thanks for the reply!

This coach has the center bathroom. The previous owner ripped out the walls to replace the water heater and didn't replace them. So I have a pile of parts to piece things back together with. Don't know if I've seen that plastic cover you mentioned or not. This is what things look like on the inside. (can't seem to insert a pic today)

http://www.petehoyt.com/AirStream/im...SC03645_15.png
http://www.petehoyt.com/AirStream/im...SC03646_15.png

From the outside, this is what it looks like:

http://www.petehoyt.com/AirStream/im...SC03647_15.png

you can see how the previous owner kept the access door closed:

http://www.petehoyt.com/AirStream/im...SC03648_15.png

In this pic I'm pulling on that retainer as hard as I can without trying to yank it out of the strcture:

http://www.petehoyt.com/AirStream/im...SC03649_15.png

If I am going to take this coach down to the frame, which it is starting to look necessary, I'll want to put it back together again as cleanly as possible and this water heater may have to go if it is too big for the available space.

Thanks,
Pete
Old 08-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Pete,
We still have what appears to be the original (non-functioning of course) WH in our 76 center bath and it is a Bowen 10 gallon (9.9 gallon per the sticker).

Here are some pictures if it'll help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WH1.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	109195   Click image for larger version

Name:	WH2.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	109196  

Name:	WH3.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	109197   Click image for larger version

Name:	WH4.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	109198  

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Sandpoint , Idaho
Hi Kevin!
Thanks for the photos! Your exterior shot shows a nice clean access panel... which is what mine should (and will) look like. :-)

Clearly that HW heater needs to go, or I need to move the toilet. Which might be practical given that I need to rebuild the bathroom after I replace all of the flooring.

Meanwhile, do you have a pic showing the distance between the tank cover and the toilet?

It's almost time to quit my day job for the day and get back to my Airstream! :-)

Thanks,
Pete
Old 08-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
The trailer is just outside so I can grab a picture shortly.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 08-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hello Pete,

Here are some pictures from our rig and a few thoughts as you ponder your next move..

From the looks of things the WH and toilet locations in your rig are in, or very near the stock locations. The WH is normally enclosed with insulating material and in our case a sheet metal box. The fact that yours has none probably gives you more room than usual. You can see by the pictures that there's not much room. On ours I'm guessing that there's no more than an 1.5" between the WH and the divide, and maybe that much from the divide to the toilet. Definitely close.

Certainly things can be moved to suit your application but there are some things to consider. Moving the WH means you'll most likely need to patch, enlarge, or otherwise deal with the shell penetration. I considered it but decided to forgo that idea. There are some other options such tankless units, no WH at all, and I've seen some owners install small household electric units. There are pros and cons to each application.

As for the toilet, it empties directly into the black tank. So relocation means relocation of the tank, a new tank, fitting relocation, or some funky plumbing changes. This is something to consider if you're ripping a large section of the floor out and have the means and methods at your disposal. Plumbing the black tank drain and maintaining weight distribution would then be your other considerations. And there are alternatives in the world of RV toilets as well. You might contact 87MH and see what he did with his 78 Sovereign. He created some more room by rotating the toilet and removing a portion of the hallway wall.

I encourage you to go the path you feel works the best for your application, and by all means be creative. Think outside of the bowl..err I mean box,and show us your good ideas so we can copy them.

Best of luck,

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WH5.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	109233   Click image for larger version

Name:	WH6.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	109234  

William C. Swinney

Old 08-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
x

XXXX , XXXX
Hey Pete Here is a couple of pics of the panel I was talking about. It fits directly under the horizontal sliding tambour door that allowa access to the area below the bathroom sink. I looked at your pics the water heater and bathroom counter top look in their original location. Unless the PO moved the toilet or installed a wider toilet this plastic panel will sit very close to the side of the toilet. Ignore the big square hole in my panel. I installed a gas and electric water heater and the electric element and housing protrude. I cut an opening and have made a insert for this opening. As far as the exterior of your water heater it looks like very poor installation by the PO. If you pull the heater and straighten everything up it should reinstall just fine. Your `new water heater`looks very old as well because it has no insulation around the tank. If you like you can replace it with Atwoods GC10A-(3)E model. It is gas with electronic ignition and an electric heating element as well. The number in brackets is the version number and may be different now. They work great fit right in place of the old one and ahve electric heat and no pilot light to light.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Water Heater Interior Panel 001.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	109235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater Interior Panel 002.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	109236  

wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags