Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2022, 01:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
2022 27' Flying Cloud
ALLEN , TX
2022 on-demand water heater won't turn off on shore power

I've noticed that my on-demand water heater on my 2022 FC 27fbt doesn't turn off when on shore power. I push the button - it beeps - but doesn't turn off. As a result it pretty much stays in E1 all the time when I'm just prepping for a trip - and I assume tries to keep lighting.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Scotty
Turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Does ON mean standby ready to heat when the water flows? (for how you're describing it)

If you have propane on does it get hot with no water running?

Can you turn it off while not plugged in (just on battery)?

The on-demand water heater should not have 120v hooked to it.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:20 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
East Northport , New York
There's an on/off switch on the outside of the unit you can use to shut it down.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:30 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
2022 27' Flying Cloud
ALLEN , TX
So...I guess it is ON standby waiting for water to flow. I don't have the propane turned on - and caught it trying to light earlier today. There is no water in the tank, not hooked up to city water and the pump is OFF. It is a little cold here - but not in the 30's to activate the freeze guard behavior (although it was last night).

I went and disconnected shore power - but left the battery in the ON state. The behavior didn't change - so shore power isn't the problem.

The On/Off button is ON (illuminated) on the Control Panel - it won't go off. Screen says E1 because it tried to light and had no propane.

Thanks,
Scotty
Old 01-27-2022, 05:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
DFW , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbulence View Post
So...I guess it is ON standby waiting for water to flow. I don't have the propane turned on - and caught it trying to light earlier today. There is no water in the tank, not hooked up to city water and the pump is OFF. It is a little cold here - but not in the 30's to activate the freeze guard behavior (although it was last night).

I went and disconnected shore power - but left the battery in the ON state. The behavior didn't change - so shore power isn't the problem.

The On/Off button is ON (illuminated) on the Control Panel - it won't go off. Screen says E1 because it tried to light and had no propane.

Thanks,
Scotty

Mine does this as well. The manual says it's supposed to go into a lockout mode until reset if it fails to light twice, but mine seems to keep trying to light with E1 on the display
hawkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:32 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
2022 27' Flying Cloud
ALLEN , TX
To sum it up - I guess the only way to completely turn it off is to turn off the water heater's power switch on the outside of the trailer OR put the trailer in store mode. That's not what I expected - but at least I think I understand it now.

Thanks,
Scotty
Old 01-28-2022, 08:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
When I push the on off switch on the wall it turns it on. If you click the button again the screen will go dark and places the unit in (off) or more of a sleep mode, it won’t ignite and heat when you turn on the water. It will continue to protect itself against freezing until you turn off the switch on the unit accessed from the outside. If your in Texas, I don’t recommend turning off the outside switch. Your unit can possibly freeze if the temps drop.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:12 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

To protect from freeze you also need to have the propane hooked up and turned on.

Normally these "self protect" gizmos cut in well above freezing. You get into the low 40's or high 30's and they start doing their thing. They run for a bit, heat up above (say) 50 and then coast back down.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
It just a bad bad unit-

Bob I hate our Girad, the biggest most disappointing thing Airstream could do to its customers. I am reaching out to anyone who has replaced the unit with a Truma. I am hesitant because they do not have a exact fit outside door. The Truma is so superior on heating. Real warm water on demand efficient and no cold water shocks no excuses, it just works. Our other trailer with the good old 6 gallon gas /electric was a better unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

To protect from freeze you also need to have the propane hooked up and turned on.

Normally these "self protect" gizmos cut in well above freezing. You get into the low 40's or high 30's and they start doing their thing. They run for a bit, heat up above (say) 50 and then coast back down.

Bob
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:35 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
2022 27' Flying Cloud
ALLEN , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
When I push the on off switch on the wall it turns it on. If you click the button again the screen will go dark and places the unit in (off) or more of a sleep mode, it won’t ignite and heat when you turn on the water. It will continue to protect itself against freezing until you turn off the switch on the unit accessed from the outside. If your in Texas, I don’t recommend turning off the outside switch. Your unit can possibly freeze if the temps drop.
It definitely works that way while the propane is on. But if you turn off the propane, it can get into a cycle of trying to restart all the time - and I couldn't find any combination to keep it from cycling.

The trailer is currently winterized, so I'm not worried about freezing. We are packing it up for a trip, and have the trailer on to get the fridge cold and packed. Since I plan to drive with the fridge on, I prefer the water heater to just be just be off.

Thanks,
Scotty
Old 01-28-2022, 11:48 AM   #11

2021 27' Globetrotter
2015 27' Flying Cloud
2007 19' Safari
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Yes Truma has an exact fit I replaced my Girard with a Truma. Make sure you order a XS door (extra small). No cutting of the aluminum siding or rub rail! All you need is some, butyl tape, plex pipe and valves for a winter bypass. I ordered a black door and it looks great and works great.
FatFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 01:15 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Hudson , Ohio
Yes the outside switch is the only way to turn the pump "off". As far as I can tell, the inside light simply tells me the position of that outside on/off switch. Mine also continues to try to light when the propane is off, until I flip that outside switch. It's actually valuable because that switch allows you to travel with your propane on (fridge, furnace, etc) if you are so inclined, without worrying about your water heater lighting. By the way, I'm not unhappy with the Girard On Demand heater. No winterizing, less propane use, etc. Yes, I know it can give you a shot of cold if you're not paying attention, but on balance I'm OK with it. Depends on how you camp, I guess.
Spike
SpikePoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 02:12 PM   #13
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
I'm glad I happened to see this thread. I have the same trailer that you have and I didn't know about the automatic freeze protection. I had to get out the instruction packet. I already miss my 6 gal. manual water heater that was in my older trailer.
John Ware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 07:09 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
Bob I hate our Girad, the biggest most disappointing thing Airstream could do to its customers. I am reaching out to anyone who has replaced the unit with a Truma. I am hesitant because they do not have a exact fit outside door. The Truma is so superior on heating. Real warm water on demand efficient and no cold water shocks no excuses, it just works. Our other trailer with the good old 6 gallon gas /electric was a better unit.
Hi

That would be Truma ... the outfit that supplied the stuff that dies after running for 3 to 4 weeks in all of the new Interstate X's (including mine)? Replace it and it runs for another couple of weeks, then dies again.

I don't see any of these "brand names" as being perfection. I've been happy with the Alde in our Classic. Others have not been.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbulence View Post
It definitely works that way while the propane is on. But if you turn off the propane, it can get into a cycle of trying to restart all the time - and I couldn't find any combination to keep it from cycling.

The trailer is currently winterized, so I'm not worried about freezing. We are packing it up for a trip, and have the trailer on to get the fridge cold and packed. Since I plan to drive with the fridge on, I prefer the water heater to just be just be off.

Thanks,
Scotty
This sounds like there needs to be a step in the winterizing instructions to turn the outside switch on the water heater to off while winterizing and don't turn it back on till de-winterizing.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote