Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2022, 05:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Hudsonville , Michigan
2022 Basecamp 20X Hot Water Heater Not Working

Hi all,
I have a 2022 Basecamp 20X that I'm having issues getting any hot water. I wanted to float the problem out there to see if anyone else had a similar experience or knows of a fix. It has a Suburban tankless water heater.

With the pump on, a full water tank, gas on, and the water heater turned on, I can hear the water heater ignitor attempting to click repeatedly, but it only blows cold air out the exhaust outside and no hot water. I"ve randomly gotten it to get hot water maybe two times over the last 4 months. I even brought it to the dealer and they got it to work on the first time randomly without doing anything different than me. They told me that sometimes I need to run the water starting with the outdoor shower, then the low drains, then the kitchen sink, then the shower to rid the lines of any air. Then I shouldn't have a problem. But, still not working. The problem is the same when hooking up to city water as well.

My guess was a bad ignitor or it's not getting gas. My heat works though perfectly and ignites. It's my understanding that the furnance and the hot water heater are the same unit so this confuses me that one works and the other doesn't. I've also turned on the kitchen burners beforehand to get the gas through the system more.

Hoping someone can chime in on this. Thanks!!
Tkotlarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 03:35 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Colorado Springs , CO
Hello! Just wondering if you have figured this out. Ours does exactly the same thing. Thanks!
STREMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 08:53 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Naples , Florida
Having trouble with both suburban units water heater and heater - run around sue plays in background when trying to get help from Airstream and suburban does not give info because of lawyers. Told to go to service providers (mobile techs or dealers) - they are scheduling mid to late October. So what I wanted to post to forums - i am going being forced to use stove as heater now - so if bad things happen and its heard about please spread the word of my misfortune. Thanks.
randsfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 10:57 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Hudsonville , Michigan
I ended up bringing it back into my local Airstream dealer and they are assessing it right now. As far as I can tell from updates, the heater control board was replaced, but that was didn't solve the problem on it's own. We are now waiting on a warrantied hot water heater complete unit to be delivered and installed. Hoping that does the trick and I'll try to update again after that. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2022, 05:53 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Aiken , South Carolina
A knowledgeable HVAC person told me this sounds like a sail switch issue in that the sail switch is telling the igniters not to turn on because it's signalling that there is no exhaust air blowing (Safety switch gone bad). The symptoms are that you will get a few seconds of cold exhaust air from the exhaust duct, then the air quits, without any water warming.
Dianainyuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:09 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Hudsonville , Michigan
That certainly sounds like the symptoms I had. Cold air would blow out for 5-10 seconds then turn off with no hot water. I just got mine back from the dealer and they were awesome and able to warranty the hot water heater after first trying to fix. New one works like a champ and very grateful.
Old 06-13-2023, 06:45 AM   #7

2022 20' Basecamp
Bellevue , Washington
2022 Basecamp 20X hot water issues

We are having exactly the same problem. We have taken it into Airstream 3 times and they claim that the hot water works, but when we use it, we canít get hot water. It has worked twice for 5-10min in the 15 months that we have had our Basecamp. We have primed it several times and still no luck.

We have not been able to use the shower and fully use the trailer in the winter months as a result. It is very frustrating. I am glad to hear that someone has had success with a replacement, this is what we are hoping for, yet Airstream has not agreed to a warranty replacement on this thus far.
Kthrashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 07:41 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Basecamp
Colorado Springs , CO
Fixed!

We had our hot water heater replaced this fall. Unfortunately we had already winterized our Basecamp so the dealer could not test it. When I De-winterized it, the symptoms were the same. I saw this post on Reddit and it worked for me: “ Go to your fuse panel, locate the 15 amp fuse(I believe it’s the 5th one down from the top, it’s labeled so you can figure it out)and pull the fuse then replace it. This will hard reset the water heater and so far this has always worked for me in restoring hot water.”
It still takes a bit to actually get hot water but it’s better than the straight cold water we were dealing with.
STREMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 05:30 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Naples , Florida
How about parking with the water tank over fire ring.
Old 10-11-2023, 09:22 AM   #10
KMF

Currently Looking...
Port St. Lucie , Florida
Is this water heater issue successfully resolved so that it’s SMART to buy a Basecamp?
KMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 02:16 PM   #11

2022 20' Basecamp
Monroe , North Carolina
Thanks. Not sure why that worked this time and was required. Normally I just flip all breakers and solar and it will get it going for me. I pulled the 5th inspection looked fine. However hot started working again. I would love to see official recall on this. All the workarounds can’t be that good.
Opal Etoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 05:40 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Basecamp
Naples , Florida
if you keep water running it will work - i think because the unit goes into recycle mode ( which is a few minute cycle) if it is turned on and off repeatedly - it is the safety feature of heating unit